Aos doa

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Dallas
2,019 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by A2Mich
I think that RCI was trying to be optimistic and thinking they could get the problem repaired somewhat quickly or at least have the ship somewhat serviceable and if nothing else, make a shorter cruise than anticipated. Even if they could sail a 5 day cruise instead of 7, even with the partial refunds and OBC offered, from a financial perspective, they're better off to do this rather than cancel a cruise completely and have a ship laid up with no income whatsoever. They can't get into dry dock any quicker more than likely. Even if they could only break even, it's still better than a total loss week. From a PR perspective, they could have done better, but were probably hoping they could salvage a bit out of this mess and still give the customer something along the lines of a vacation.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
Yep, their communications & PR handling of this was lousy. But from strictly the mechanical side, I think they've done pretty well, with probably some overly optimistic repair timelines the only real mistake.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gary & Peggy
email us





Fort Collins, Colorado
2,511 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by LetsGetWet!
Yep, their communications & PR handling of this was lousy. But from strictly the mechanical side, I think they've done pretty well, with probably some overly optimistic repair timelines the only real mistake.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk
And then again, RCI has thousands of people wanting an answer now. I do repair work for a living and people will always ask "how long is it going to take?" So what if I think the parts will be here in a few days, and it turns out they have to come from the manufacturer and take 2 weeks? And then there's the issue if what if we find something else wrong? Now I look like a liar and an idiot because it took longer. Who's the customer going to blame when they're upset that it isn't fixed when I said it would? Me. And giving a customer the "I don't know" answer doesn't fly. So when a customer is upset, the blame will always fall on someone else.



Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Navigator of the Seas- April 13, 2018
Freedom of the Seas - April 19, 2015
Carnival Legend - January 4, 2006
Carnival Imagination - August 2004
Ocean Princess - March 2002
Carnival Fantasy - May 1998
Carnival Carnivale - March 1983
185 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
I don't think many aboard AOS have any idea what is going on in Galveston to be honest. From what little I've read our compensation doesn't appear to be equal on the surface to NOS, BUT at this point we are hopefully only missing out on 1 of our ports. So it is hard to compare the two right now. To me if we sail tonight and everything goes as currently propsed I will be satisfied with the outcome. I don't really want a future cruise discount as Royal left me feeling as though they don't value me as a person with their handling of our cruise from the beginning and I am ready to try different cruiselines now. This was the push I needed.

Last update from the Captain for the night was about 20 minutes ago. The second blade is being lifted out of the water and the third is being unbolted. According to someone on the Captain's staff(not sure his exact position but he was a representative for the Captain and answering our questions), there are only 3 blades. So we are on the last one and we should be sailing by 1am. So if you don't see another update from me in the morning you can assume we're underway hopefully.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Anthem 6/17

Completed:
Allure of the Seas 3/15
Adventure of the Seas 3/14
Navigator of the Seas 1/12
Majesty of the Seas 12/07
Fort Collins, Colorado
2,511 Posts
Joined May 2009
Well let's hope you get moving soon! I hope you enjoy the remainder of your cruise though.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Navigator of the Seas- April 13, 2018
Freedom of the Seas - April 19, 2015
Carnival Legend - January 4, 2006
Carnival Imagination - August 2004
Ocean Princess - March 2002
Carnival Fantasy - May 1998
Carnival Carnivale - March 1983
Boston area
152 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by cruizinawayinva
So if you don't see another update from me in the morning you can assume we're underway hopefully.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope we don't hear from you in the morning and that all is going well. All kidding aside, you have been wonderful in posting your information, and in a very calm and collected manner. Thank you.

Sending good thoughts and Bon Voyage.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1,358 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
So, great to hear about all the efforts to get this boat underway and all, but I wonder, who's the cruise director and how he/she is handling the day-to-day entertainment and passenger activities at port while the issues are resolved? I'm sure he/she is a busy fella! How is the CD staff doing? I mean, when life gives you lemons, are they adding tequila, triple sec and sugar and making margaritas out of all this?

If after three days people on board have run out of things to do, give me a shout and I can tell you what else you can do while waiting for your ship to sail. Puerto Rico is much more than the Pan Am Pier and Old San Juan.

Plus, it's supposed to be spring but it's still snowing in the mainland U.S. It's not like the AD hit an iceberg or something.

Cheers!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
AoS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Adventure of the Seas, May 20, 2017
Rome, Florence and Tuscany land vacation, Sept. 2016
Royal Princess, Copenhagen to New York, Sept. 2014
Oasis of the Seas Back to Back, September 15 - 29, 2012
Japan land vacation - Tokyo/Yokohama, Kyoto, Hiroshima - September 2011
Adventure of the Seas, Barcelona to San Juan, November 28 - December 12, 2010
Adventure of the Seas, Aruba Route, August 9, 2009
Jewel of the Seas, Canada/New England, October 2008
Adventure of the Seas, Barbados Route, August 2007
Adventure of the Seas, Aruba Route, August 2006
Buffalo
2,835 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by cruizinawayinva
I don't think many aboard AOS have any idea what is going on in Galveston to be honest. From what little I've read our compensation doesn't appear to be equal on the surface to NOS, BUT at this point we are hopefully only missing out on 1 of our ports. So it is hard to compare the two right now. To me if we sail tonight and everything goes as currently propsed I will be satisfied with the outcome. I don't really want a future cruise discount as Royal left me feeling as though they don't value me as a person with their handling of our cruise from the beginning and I am ready to try different cruiselines now. This was the push I needed.

Last update from the Captain for the night was about 20 minutes ago. The second blade is being lifted out of the water and the third is being unbolted. According to someone on the Captain's staff(not sure his exact position but he was a representative for the Captain and answering our questions), there are only 3 blades. So we are on the last one and we should be sailing by 1am. So if you don't see another update from me in the morning you can assume we're underway hopefully.
Hmmm. Earlier in this thread it was established that there are four blades. Did they remove one earlier? Time for more conjecture from the smart guys.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Maid of the Mist Every Summer since 2002
Splendor of the Seas February 2006
Legend of the Seas February 2007
Jewel of the Seas April 2008
Voyager of the Seas April 2009
Enchantment of the Seas July 2009
Granduer of the Seas April 2010
Navigator of the Seas August 2010
Radiance of the Seas February 2011
Freedom of the Seas August 2011
Jewel of the Seas February 2012
Freedom of the Seas August 2012
Navigator of the Seas February 2013
Allure of the Seas August 2013
Serenade of the Seas February 2014
Freedom of the seas August 2014
Adventure of the Seas February 2015

Liberty of the Seas February 2016
Liberty of the Seas August 2016
Freedom of the Seas February 2017



United States
13,076 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
I suppose it is possible that the ship threw one of the 4 blades from the Fixipod between St. Kitts and St. Croix. Shortly before almost docking at St. Croix they were making something around 15 knots, and the propellers / propulsion system had been being worked on in St. Kitts last week. The ship could not even make 6 knots back to San Juan.
Fort Collins, Colorado
2,511 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by SamFritz
Hmmm. Earlier in this thread it was established that there are four blades. Did they remove one earlier? Time for more conjecture from the smart guys.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Well you wouldn't remove a single blade and attempt to run it. It would be so severely out of balance and would destroy the bearings in very short order. Two blades in place exactly opposite from each other in a 4 blade setup MIGHT be somewhat balanced, but I don't think it would be safe for the bearings even then. Cheng could probably be a bit more exact though. I'm not a marine engineer by any means, as he certainly has expertise in this area.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Navigator of the Seas- April 13, 2018
Freedom of the Seas - April 19, 2015
Carnival Legend - January 4, 2006
Carnival Imagination - August 2004
Ocean Princess - March 2002
Carnival Fantasy - May 1998
Carnival Carnivale - March 1983
San Diego, CA
86 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
I told my parents to text me when they woke up at 1am to them leaving. It's 1:30am EST and no text so… I'll be up for another hour on the west coast so I'll post if I get a text from them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crown Princess - Western Caribbean - March 2011
Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera - March 2008
SW Ontario, Canada
8,654 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by cruizinawayinva
Last update from the Captain for the night was about 20 minutes ago. The second blade is being lifted out of the water and the third is being unbolted. According to someone on the Captain's staff(not sure his exact position but he was a representative for the Captain and answering our questions), there are only 3 blades. So we are on the last one and we should be sailing by 1am. So if you don't see another update from me in the morning you can assume we're underway hopefully.
Originally posted by SamFritz
Hmmm. Earlier in this thread it was established that there are four blades. Did they remove one earlier? Time for more conjecture from the smart guys.
It may have been at the time this was mentioned that there were still three blades to remove. I posted the link to the picture of the pods, which is of Voyager not Adventure but I can't imagine why the latter would be different especially being a less efficient type and I see the center fix pod blades are spaced at 90 degrees and you can barely see the fourth blade behind or on the far side of the pod.
Currently marine traffic website still shows AOS in SJ.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob
Festival Bolero, Dec.98, E Carib* Blackbeard Pirate Lady, Jan.99, Bahamas* Sun Carousel (Nordic Prince), Feb.99, S Carib* Sun Sunbird (Song of America), Sept.99, W Med* Sun Sundream (Song of Norway), Jan.00, PC* Sea Princess, June 00, Alaska* Sun Sundream (Song of Norway), Feb.01, W Carib* Empress of the Seas, July 02, Bermuda* Grand Princess, Feb.02, W.Carib* Star Princess, Feb.03, Mexico* Enchantment OTS, March 03, E. Carib* Sun Sunbird (Song of America), June 03, W Med* Sun Sunbird (Song of America), Jan.04, S.Carib* Voyager OTS, June04, CdnMaritimes* Sun Sunbird (Song of America), Aug.04, W. Med* Maasdam, Mar.05, S.Carib* Costa Mediterranea, Apr.06, E. Carib* Regal Pr, Oct.06, PC* SerenadeOTS, Feb.07.S. Carib* Adventure OTS, Mar.07, S. Carib* Radiance OTS, Sept.07,Alaska* Legend OTS, Nov.07, E. Med* Radiance OTS, May 08, Hawaii* X Century, Dec.08, TA* Radiance OTS, Apr.09, SA to USA* X Mercury, Nov.09, E. Carib* Radiance OTS, Feb.10, Mexico, Grand Pr, Apr.10, TA* X Summit, Nov.10 B2B S. Carib* Golden Pr, Feb.11, Hawaii* X Constellation, Mar.11, S. Carib* Emerald Pr, Nov.11, S Carib* X Silhouette, Jan.12, E. Carib* X Century, Mar.12, Hawaii* Caribbean Pr, Apr.12,TA* Caribbean Pr, May 12, Br. Isles* X Eclipse, Dec.12, S. Carib* Voyager OTS, Feb.13, Oz/NZ* X Century, Nov.13, Hawaii* Ruby Pr, Feb.14, W. Carib* X Century,Feb.13, E. Carib* Serenade OTS, Apr.14, TA* Serenade OTS, Nov.14, TA* Navigator OTS, Jan.15, B2B2B W. Carib* Radiance OTS, Feb.15, Top End Oz* Freedom OTS, Oct.15,B2B E&W Carib* Anthem OTS, Jan.16, S Carib* Anthem OTS, Mar.16, W Carib* Brilliance OTS, Oct.16, TA* Anthem OTS, Jan.17, S Carib*
185 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Currently 236am EST(thanks to a restless 1 year old) I can see we are still here in San Juan.

As to the 4 blades vs 3...we were told onboard by the Captain's staff(more than 1 individual) that there are only 3 blades total. Again I know it was established here that there are believed to be 4, but onboard we were told today there are only 3. At this point I have no idea who is right or who is wrong. Just know I hear one answer here another onboard. The question of total number of blades was however specifically asked here onboard. The posters here seem quite knowledgeable(and have been completely right about timeline so far) and I have no reason not to believe them. The crew onboard also seem quite knowledgeable, but were a bit overwhelmed by the angry mob of people demanding answers it seemed. So it is possible there was a misunderstanding/miscommunication somewhere along the lines when that question was asked. Though as I said it was answered the same way by several staff members.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Anthem 6/17

Completed:
Allure of the Seas 3/15
Adventure of the Seas 3/14
Navigator of the Seas 1/12
Majesty of the Seas 12/07
San Diego, CA
86 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Off to bed at 3am EST. Hope to see some good news when I wake up in 7 hrs for work!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crown Princess - Western Caribbean - March 2011
Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera - March 2008
185 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by Aviator of the Seas
So, great to hear about all the efforts to get this boat underway and all, but I wonder, who's the cruise director and how he/she is handling the day-to-day entertainment and passenger activities at port while the issues are resolved? I'm sure he/she is a busy fella! How is the CD staff doing? I mean, when life gives you lemons, are they adding tequila, triple sec and sugar and making margaritas out of all this?

If after three days people on board have run out of things to do, give me a shout and I can tell you what else you can do while waiting for your ship to sail. Puerto Rico is much more than the Pan Am Pier and Old San Juan.

Plus, it's supposed to be spring but it's still snowing in the mainland U.S. It's not like the AD hit an iceberg or something.

Cheers!
The cruise director is Mercedes. Things on board seem to be going on as scheduled. Shows, activities, contests and such seem to be similar to our previous cruises. I feel like the vast majority of people onboard are really enjoying themselves it seems. Yesterday was really the first time I witnessed the angry mob mentality kick in. I think it is a natural response at this point as we keep being told we will be leaving at X time and then within a few hours of X time they finally tell us we won't be leaving again. The crew is being fantastic and treating us very well trying to give us the best experience they can. And I realize all the information they are giving us, the typed letters, and the timing of most announcements regarding the work and when we should be underway are being determined by Royal. You can see from the body language of the Captain when he is out there checking the progress and hear in his voice in annoucements that he is truly frustrated/disappointed as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Anthem 6/17

Completed:
Allure of the Seas 3/15
Adventure of the Seas 3/14
Navigator of the Seas 1/12
Majesty of the Seas 12/07
SW Ontario, Canada
8,654 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by cruizinawayinva
Currently 236am EST(thanks to a restless 1 year old) I can see we are still here in San Juan.

As to the 4 blades vs 3...we were told onboard by the Captain's staff(more than 1 individual) that there are only 3 blades total. Again I know it was established here that there are believed to be 4, but onboard we were told today there are only 3. At this point I have no idea who is right or who is wrong. Just know I hear one answer here another onboard. The question of total number of blades was however specifically asked here onboard. The posters here seem quite knowledgeable(and have been completely right about timeline so far) and I have no reason not to believe them. The crew onboard also seem quite knowledgeable, but were a bit overwhelmed by the angry mob of people demanding answers it seemed. So it is possible there was a misunderstanding/miscommunication somewhere along the lines when that question was asked. Though as I said it was answered the same way by several staff members.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Navigator_of_the_Seas

I went with the sister ship info as the article on Adventure of the Seas didn't have the propulsion information
Main propulsion[edit]

The ship has a diesel-electric powertrain that uses three Azipod azimuth thrusters. Each propeller is driven by a double-wound 3-phase synchronous motor with 4-bladed fixed-pitch bronze propellers. The motors are mounted outside the hull directly on the propeller shaft inside the pod. The three propellers are arranged so that the center propeller is a pushing on–azimuthing Fixipod-type and the two wing ones are of pulling-azimuthing–type steering propellers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob
Festival Bolero, Dec.98, E Carib* Blackbeard Pirate Lady, Jan.99, Bahamas* Sun Carousel (Nordic Prince), Feb.99, S Carib* Sun Sunbird (Song of America), Sept.99, W Med* Sun Sundream (Song of Norway), Jan.00, PC* Sea Princess, June 00, Alaska* Sun Sundream (Song of Norway), Feb.01, W Carib* Empress of the Seas, July 02, Bermuda* Grand Princess, Feb.02, W.Carib* Star Princess, Feb.03, Mexico* Enchantment OTS, March 03, E. Carib* Sun Sunbird (Song of America), June 03, W Med* Sun Sunbird (Song of America), Jan.04, S.Carib* Voyager OTS, June04, CdnMaritimes* Sun Sunbird (Song of America), Aug.04, W. Med* Maasdam, Mar.05, S.Carib* Costa Mediterranea, Apr.06, E. Carib* Regal Pr, Oct.06, PC* SerenadeOTS, Feb.07.S. Carib* Adventure OTS, Mar.07, S. Carib* Radiance OTS, Sept.07,Alaska* Legend OTS, Nov.07, E. Med* Radiance OTS, May 08, Hawaii* X Century, Dec.08, TA* Radiance OTS, Apr.09, SA to USA* X Mercury, Nov.09, E. Carib* Radiance OTS, Feb.10, Mexico, Grand Pr, Apr.10, TA* X Summit, Nov.10 B2B S. Carib* Golden Pr, Feb.11, Hawaii* X Constellation, Mar.11, S. Carib* Emerald Pr, Nov.11, S Carib* X Silhouette, Jan.12, E. Carib* X Century, Mar.12, Hawaii* Caribbean Pr, Apr.12,TA* Caribbean Pr, May 12, Br. Isles* X Eclipse, Dec.12, S. Carib* Voyager OTS, Feb.13, Oz/NZ* X Century, Nov.13, Hawaii* Ruby Pr, Feb.14, W. Carib* X Century,Feb.13, E. Carib* Serenade OTS, Apr.14, TA* Serenade OTS, Nov.14, TA* Navigator OTS, Jan.15, B2B2B W. Carib* Radiance OTS, Feb.15, Top End Oz* Freedom OTS, Oct.15,B2B E&W Carib* Anthem OTS, Jan.16, S Carib* Anthem OTS, Mar.16, W Carib* Brilliance OTS, Oct.16, TA* Anthem OTS, Jan.17, S Carib*
Michigan
2,860 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Appears aos still in san juan as of 530am est


Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1395826585842.jpg (7.9 KB, 23 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Home State: Michigan
Completed Cruises

Feb 2001 Majesty of the seas
March 2002 Majesty of the seas
Nov 2002 Majesty of the seas
March 2005 Explorer of the seas
March 2006 Adventure of the seas
March 2008 Freedom of the seas (Married onboard the Freedom of the Sea's)
March 2012 Freedom of the seas
August 2014 grandeur of the seas
March 2015 vision of the seas
Maine
10,802 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Sorry, out for the night, so didn't catch the great 3 vs 4 blade debate. I don't know of anyone who makes a 3 bladed wheel of this size, so I'm sticking with there being 4 blades. I don't believe they actually lost a blade while underway, as the vibration from this would have removed the fillings from the teeth of all guests aft of midships. And even if the blade did "come off", it would have left the bolted flange in place which would have to be unbolted to balance the hub. I see that she is still sitting in port at 0530 EDT, so they are still struggling to get the blades off.
Maine
10,802 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by DonRobertoSanJuan
The ship left on time, but arrived well after the Carnival Valor, which was still in San Juan when we departed. Same with the Equinox. Do you really believe RCI is going to tell us so they would have to refund money? Don't be naive, this is corporate greed, plain and simple.
I really don't care whether the ship arrived after the Valor, did it arrive on time? Did the Adventure meet all advertised departure and arrival times up until leaving St. Kitts? Everything else is useless information. What speed did the Valor make, and what were her advertised departure and arrival times? Perhaps RCI wanted to conserve fuel, so made advertised departure before the Valor, and arrival after Valor so they could steam slower than Valor. So what, as long as they kept to the itinerary, you have no claim to know that there was a problem at that time.

What I'm saying is that if RCI was never intending to sail to the two southern ports, that AS SOON AS THEY CANCELLED THEM, they would have to refund/credit money back, so where's the gain? Since the cancellation of the ports wouldn't have been weather related, the much lauded "cruise bill of rights" would have allowed for compensation even if not offered by RCI.
2 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by robtulipe
It may have been at the time this was mentioned that there were still three blades to remove. I posted the link to the picture of the pods, which is of Voyager not Adventure but I can't imagine why the latter would be different especially being a less efficient type and I see the center fix pod blades are spaced at 90 degrees and you can barely see the fourth blade behind or on the far side of the pod.
Currently marine traffic website still shows AOS in SJ.

Definitely 4 blades. Found this picture from a previous dry dock of the AOS, clearly shows 4 blades.



Link to cruise critic article on previous dry dock - http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=878