Another liquor question.....

Mabers

Is there a duty-free store on the SUN? If so, is it possible to buy a bottle of 'whatever' and take it back to the cabin to drink and pay a corkage fee? This in lieu of the bar set-up?

M.

Is there a duty-free store on the SUN? If so, is it possible to buy a bottle of 'whatever' and take it back to the cabin to drink and pay a corkage fee? This in lieu of the bar set-up?

M.

Yes there is a duty free shop. NO, you are not allowed to bring back any liquor purchases to your cabin. If you wish, you may purchase a bottle from room service at the full room service price, as well as from most bars if you so desire, in lieu of the pre-arranged bar service set-up.

Darn! So.....how does the room service price compare with the pre-arranged setup?

M.

I think it varies on what type of liquor you buy, but certainly it is really expensive. I believe I had seen it was about $75 for a 750ml bottle of scotch... but you'd have to ask once you arrive.

and Wow again! That's really expensive.....no wonder people try to sneak liquor on board! I just bought a bottle of scotch yesterday (1 1/2 litres) for $32 and change Canadian. So half that amount for twice the price....U.S. funds for a bar setup. That is just too much! Hmmmmm.....I just might have to wear a coat with very big pockets!

M.

I've also heard that they shake the bottles, and something happens if there is liquor in them....like bubble maybe?

I mean I have no objection to a markup like on their wine, but I just find the markup on liquor to be exorbitant......had just about made up my mind to order the bar setup.....now rethinking. Anybody ever heard of tan coloured Scope? LOL!

M.

I figured before I get my knickers in a twist, I should find out exact prices, soooooo.......

1 litre Johnny Walker Black Label.....$55

1 litre Chivas Regal $55

1 litre Dewar White Label $40

1 litre Johnny Walker Red Label $40

With any of the above there is a $3 setup fee.

That's not as bad as originally posted (altho' I know that was app. pricing)......still high, but doable, and no mouthwash taste!

For what it's worth.....

M.

I figured before I get my knickers in a twist, I should find out exact prices, soooooo.......

1 litre Johnny Walker Black Label.....$55

1 litre Chivas Regal $55

1 litre Dewar White Label $40

1 litre Johnny Walker Red Label $40

With any of the above there is a $3 setup fee.

That's not as bad as originally posted (altho' I know that was app. pricing)......still high, but doable, and no mouthwash taste!

For what it's worth.....

M.

Those are the prices if you pre-order a bar setup at least two weeks in advance.. If you order from room service you are in fact looking at a by the shot price thus the $75 above.

Those are the prices if you pre-order a bar setup at least two weeks in advance.. If you order from room service you are in fact looking at a by the shot price thus the $75 above.

Right....I realize that....you can't order a bottle except on pre-order. Also you can't pre-order the 6 for 5 wine until you board. Decisions, decisions! But at least the options are clarified!

M.

Right....I realize that....you can't order a bottle except on pre-order. Also you can't pre-order the 6 for 5 wine until you board. Decisions, decisions! But at least the options are clarified!

M.

And if you pre-order a single bottle of wine to have waiting in your cabin it does not count in the by 5 get 1 free promotion.

No decision do both - to get the free wine you don't have order them at once. Keep your slips and if and when you get to 5 claim the free one.

I'm all over that oh wise one! And I am not being sarcastic....you are just that! You mentioned on another thread that you take 'a wee drop' with you yourself .....what do you use as your vessel? DS and (almost) wife are coming on our next cruise (a mere 3+ weeks)and he is determined to bring what he needs in spite of my warnings! What's a mom supposed to do? They are single malt scotch drinkers, and nothing else will do. I may have to disown them as we go thru' checkin!

Anyway, not my problem, but just wondering.....DH drinks scotch, which I will pre-order, and I am a wino, so will arrange onboard. All's right with the world.....I think!

M.

Thanks for helping me make that clear Shoreguy.... :)

Archived