Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile RC vs. Carnival

I'm in a dilemma...I have only ever cruised Carnival and have only ever been to Mexico when I cruise. I am looking to book but can't choose between RC navigator of the seas or Carnival dream. Carnival has Belize-Honduras-Cozumel itinerary. RC has Falmouth Jamaica-cayman islands-Cozumel itinerary. They both leave on same day which fits my schedule perfectly but one leaves from Galveston which is closer to home the other leave out of New Orleans, which is only a few more hours out of the way. Which itinerary is better? Please help!!

Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:27 PM
10,000+ Club

"Better" is a totally personal, subjective judgment. Ask 10 people, and you will get 10 different opinions. What interests you?

I am no fan of Carnival, but, in this case, in my totally subjective opinion, I would take their route.

Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

I like to hear everyone's opinions, and there isn't much that I don't like to do or am not interested in. We like to relax but also have fun and can be quite adventurous. I like to have a lot of different options. I've heard negative things about both itineraries but the only place I've been on either one of those itineraries is Cozumel. And mostly I would like to hear other people's opinions about the cruise ships themselves. Since I've only been on the older carnival ships before. We most likely will not have the kids with us this trip and I hear that RC is geared more for adults.

Old March 24th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

I prefer RC to Carnival. I liked RC s food better and service

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Old March 24th, 2014, 12:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

IMO, I prefer Royal, much nicer and more elegant.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 24th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am leaning towards RC but not sure about Jamaica and the Grand Cayman Islands. The only reason why I'm second guessing myself is because of Carnivals itinerary.

Old March 24th, 2014, 08:21 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserBruce View Post
"Better" is a totally personal, subjective judgment. Ask 10 people, and you will get 10 different opinions. What interests you?

I am no fan of Carnival, but, in this case, in my totally subjective opinion, I would take their route.
I agree with Bruce.

Old March 24th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cruised on the Breeze in December and it is a wonderful ship. Great crew and loved. Guy's Burgers and the Blue Iguana Burrito Bar. I having nothing bad to say about that ship. Never been to those particular ports so I have no opinion about that.

Old March 24th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnval View Post
I'm in a dilemma...I have only ever cruised Carnival and have only ever been to Mexico when I cruise. I am looking to book but can't choose between RC navigator of the seas or Carnival dream. Carnival has Belize-Honduras-Cozumel itinerary. RC has Falmouth Jamaica-cayman islands-Cozumel itinerary. They both leave on same day which fits my schedule perfectly but one leaves from Galveston which is closer to home the other leave out of New Orleans, which is only a few more hours out of the way. Which itinerary is better? Please help!!
I'd say try Royal. I love their ships. Tons of things to do for adults and children.
Change is good.

Freedom of the Seas,May 5th 2013

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:41 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is Good Cruising View Post
IMO, I prefer Royal, much nicer and more elegant.
Navigator of the seas? Mariner of the Seas, her sister ship was far from elegant. Attractive yes, elegant no. I will say I found all of the 4 RCI cruises I have taken more attractive than the 4 Carnival ships but none were really elegant. Jewel of the Seas was the closest to elegant of the RCI ships I have cruised but even she was not elegant. She was beautiful though. Carnival ships tend to have more of a flashy/gaudy/ Vegas decor.

I also disagree with the person who said RCI's food is better. Carnival had great food, it is other reasons I dislike Carnival. (mainly because I like things more relaxed and calmer soothing decor)

To the OP, as the one person said, although Carnival is my least desired of mainstream lines, I would say read reviews of those ships with those itineraries. Since you have cruised Carnival and like them okay, you may want to choose by itinerary.

Personally I would stay away from Jamaica, but that is a personal preference, I really disliked my one trip to Jamaica. Those people are too pushy to get you to buy useless crap, worst than Cozumel and Nassau put together and if you have been to those ports you know they are horrible.

The only other reason you may would prefer the NOS besides ports and Carnival's bad decor, is that ship does have more things to do athletically, like rock climbing, ice skating, and putt-putt.
Holland America-23 days
Carnival -21 days
Royal Caribbean- 19 days
NCL-18 days
Princess -21 days
Disney-4 days

I have cruised the Caribbean, east, west and southern; Alaska, Bermuda, a transatlantic which included North west Europe and East coast Canada, the Med., and a California coastal/Baja. I loved them all!

What's booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

I like Carnivals itinerary better. I think both their services and food are equal, but I do like RC's ships better.

Burt

Last edited by Beachdude; March 24th, 2014 at 05:44 PM.

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

1.factor in the different ports which ones do you really wanna see?
2. is it worth driving a few more hours for that particular cruise
3.price is it worth it?

Old March 24th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks guys for all for your input. We will booking soon!! I do have one question has anyone ever stayed in the promenade rooms?

Old March 24th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Definitely RCCL without a doubt!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Old March 25th, 2014, 01:05 AM
5,000+ Club

Variety is the spice of life. If you haven't tried a cruise line, give it a try. That way, you'll have more information when you plan your next cruise.

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:09 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnval View Post
I do have one question has anyone ever stayed in the promenade rooms?
I haven't personally, but I have had family members in them and they enjoyed it. They are nice rooms and as far as I know, unique to RCI. The window bench seat adds a good bit more seating and space. Only drawback was privacy. Directly across, other PR rooms can see right into yours when your curtains are open.

Navigator has those new virtual balcony interior rooms. Have you considered those?

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

No I had no idea they had those. I will look into that! That almost may be a possibility!

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

I like RCI as a cruise line but you seem to be basing your decision on ports of call. Cruise Critic is a perfect place to do your research. The search feature on the boards seem to be working at this time so I would suggest you look at the Ports of Call board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Here is a Cruise Critic News Alert for Honduras.
http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5666

Shak

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

I know you may be locked in to going at a specific time but NOS also runs the Belize, Honduras, Cozumel route. NOS is a beautiful ship that has the Promenade deck with shops and bars. The last Carnival cruise I was on, the food was ok but nothing memorable and tables stayed dirty for literally hours. Don't know what was going on with the crew of that ship, but they didn't seem very happy. But I have had the same issues, do you book for itinerary or for the ship?

Last edited by tsjt; March 25th, 2014 at 10:55 AM.

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have done some research for both carnival, RC and their excursions. Carnival song seem to offer much if anything for honduras. Ad after reading the warning for honduras I'm a little scared now. I am leaning towards RC just to try something new. There is a possibility that we would be able to go the week after and then they both would offer going to Belize and Honduras. Just the week before seems to be a little cheaper.