*Photo Blog* Ben the Bendy Man's Jewel/Mardi Gras Adventure, Feb 22, 2014

kylenyc

Happy Weekend... Flexible Figurine Friends!

Ben returned a few weeks ago from a fabulous land & sea vacation in New Orleans and his typist is just now getting around to posting pictures. Our pint-sized polymer partier spent a wonderful 7 days aboard the beautiful Norwegian Jewel sailing to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, & Costa Maya and then returned to New Orleans to celebrate Mardi Gras during the peak of festivities - Mardi Gras weekend, Lundi Gras, and Mardi Gras Day (Fat Tuesday). Our exuberant elastic explorer met some wonderful new friends (both passengers and crew) and had a vacation of a lifetime! The Jewel, her crew, and her itinerary are amazing and New Orleans during Mardi Gras was an incredible fun experience...

Saturday Morning, February 22, 2014

Our pint-sized polymer pip had his butler up all night busy packing, printing itineraries, and doing last minute planning while he played in his stockpile of Mardi Gras supplies. Ben had purchased hundreds of beads, throws, and masks for a Meet & Greet, Mardi Gras Parade/Cabin Crawl, and other activities he was going to host aboard the Norwegian Jewel.

DSC_0277.jpg

Packing 300 Mardi Gras beads, 100 doubloons, and 50 masks - Ben's ready for Les Bons Temp Rouler aboard the Norwegian Jewel!

DSC_0278.jpg

P1020616x.JPG

Ben decides to tos out his butler's clothes to make room for the important stuffs - "Wow... That's A LOT of beads."... "So who else wants to come?"... "Me!"... "Me!"... "Me!"... "Me!"... "Me!"

After a short taxi ride to La Guardia Airport, Ben caught a direct morning flight to New Orleans. One rude airport personnel in the Delta Terminal was particularly unhelpful to anyone she encountered while everyone stood in line for security, and the terminal itself seemed rather dated. However, Delta had the least expensive direct flight. The flight itself was comfortable although the cabin interior also felt worn and dated.

He arrived in New Orleans, Louis Armstrong International Airport three hours later and hitched a ride on his porter's backpack while they stumbled around dazed and confused looking around for the correct baggage carousels. Not all carousels had working information displays and the carousels for Delta happened to be located in an area separate from other airlines.

DSC_0280.jpg

LaGuardia Airport - Delta Terminal D - Ready to embard

DSC_0281.jpg

Blue skies somewhere over the U.S.A.

DSC_0292.jpg

Approaching Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport

Edited by kylenyc

Saturday, February 22, 2014

New Orleans - Super Krewe Orpheus Open House

Ben's porter paced the entire length of the baggage claim area (or so he thought) several times not knowing which carousel was which until he finally found the separate area for Delta. He let out a sigh of relieve to see his bag was still there among one of the last few bags left. They exited the terminal looking for transportation into town and quickly ducked back inside after balking at the cost of the $33 one way taxi fare. So our frugal figurine went to the Airport Shuttle kiosk and bought a round trip ticket for $38. The shuttle operator was great and gave us hints and tips about New Orleans as he drove us into town, having to make several detours and coordinating with the owner/dispatcher to negotiate around blocked streets and parade routes.

Ben's butler checked-into the hotel and rushed to his room to dropped off his luggage and headed quickly back out. BIG THANKS to Cruise Critic member BigEasyCC who posted about Super Krewe Orpheus's Open House and Ben made a made dash to the Convention Center with only hour to spare. It was enough time for our wide eyed explorer to have a wonderful time viewing the floats up close and enjoying the music, so much so, that he didn't notice his assistant partaking in one too many free beverages being served by the different float crews.

Here are links to some videos of the music and festivities too - Video 1, Video 2, Video 3

DSC_0310.jpg

New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, Super Krewe Orpheus Open House

DSC_0314.jpg

Float krewe serving raspberry ice and vodka.

DSC_0325.jpg

Float krewe serving tequila sunrise and clouds of wonder

DSC_0324.jpg

Clouds of wonder - A soft sugary sweet ?praline?

DSC_0326.jpg

A pretty, innocent (mischievous?) smile tricks Ben's butler into trying a tasty treat... Little did he know it was a Mardi Gras jello shot until too late!

DSC_0327.jpg

Mardi Gras Jello shots in the traditional colors of Purple Green Gold and shaped into a Fleur de Lis.

Edited by kylenyc

Saturday evening, February 22, 2014

Krewe Sparta and Pygmalion Parades

Ben nervously left the convention center on the shoulders of his buzzed butler. A few blocks away, they ran into more floats staging for an afternoon parade, and then stumbled into another parade in progress. Later that evening our elated elastic adventure attended the Krewe Sparta and Pygmalion parades, having a blast waving and jumping up and down for beads and throws.

DSC_0329.jpg

Staging area?

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

Catching the end of another parade

DSC_0349.jpg

Krewe Sparta and Pygmalion parades

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg

"Doubloooons! Doubloooons!"

Edited by kylenyc

Sunday morning, February 23, 2014

Musical Legends Park, Cafe Beignet

Ben woke up the next morning and excitedly took stock of his stash of beads and doubloons from the night before. Eventually he had to kick his sleepy butler out of bed and get him to start packing. Their one night's stay at the Four Points Sheraton - French Quarter, right on Bourbon Street was filled with the hoots, hollaring, and cheers from partiers late into the night, and a few late night stumbling guests returning to their rooms.

Despite the disturbed sleep, Ben slept well in the comfortable spacious room and managed to persuade his helper to go out in search of the city's famed beignets for breakfast. Our height-challenged hero hesitantly headed outside, scrunching his nose at first, afraid his ole factory senses would be assaulted by the malodorous air of spilt drinks and discharges from night's partiers (Hint: Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras doesn't smell like bourbon). Thankfully the street's merchants were veterans of the city's annual alcohol induced pilgrimage and had already finished sweeping up the sea of discarded plastic cups, beads, and other litter and were already well into hosing the streets off with much needed detergent and water. He weaved his way carefully through the grey brackish puddles dotting the sidewalks, smartphone with Google Maps in hand, and went off in search of a recommended cafe. However, they got detoured by the sound of smooth jazz coming from Musical Legends Park.

Cafe Beignet was conveniently located inside the park and the beignets were made fresh to order... You just have to get the order past the surly clerk who looked as if she had served one too many hungover Mardi Gras patrons. The cafe americana was mediocre but the beignets came out piping hot with a yummy dusting of powdered sugar. It was good but very filling and he only managed to eat one.

Here's another Video

P1020618.jpg

Ben's one night stash of Mardi Gras beads and doubloons.

DSC_0359.jpg

The morning after... Bourbon Street already swept and hosed clean.

DSC_0364.jpg

Lured by the sounds of smooth jazz coming from Musical Legends Park

DSC_0366.jpg

DSC_0376.jpgCafe Beignet

DSC_0371.jpg

Nice live jazz, hot fresh beignets, and mediocre coffee.

Come back Ben! ;)

LOL. Come back where? :p

Looking forward to more...also hoping you got to Café Du Monde for their beignets...yum...

No I didn't :( The lines were very long even and there was so much to do in NOLA. I grew up on Cafe Du Monde coffee :)

Very cool review

Yay! Thanks!

Lovin' it' date=' Ben !! Thank you.[/quote']

Thanks for coming along on the adventure!

More Bendy-ness!! Can't wait to see the rest! BTW, Kyle,with all those goodies you bring along, how on earth do you have room in your luggage for your clothes?

I ended up moving all the beads into my check in luggage and shifted the clothes into the cardboard box. LOL. The stuffed animal throws were very soft easily squished :D.

Living the good life Ben! I enjoy reading about your adventures. Did the rude Delta agent not realize just whom she was dealing with? I think that if she'd fully known it was Ben Bendyman she might have given you VIP status! ;)

Living the good life Ben! I enjoy reading about your adventures. Did the rude Delta agent not realize just whom she was dealing with? I think that if she'd fully known it was Ben Bendyman she might have given you VIP status! ;)

Xeeeeeeeeeeenaaaaaaaaa!!! When are we cruising again together! LOL Dunno about VIP... I haven't yet figured out if NCL thinks Ben's famous or infamous :p I think the TSA opened my check in bag and inspected my 30 pounds of beads and dozens of Bendy's because my luggage lock was opened. :D:eek:

Edited by kylenyc

Xeeeeeeeeeeenaaaaaaaaa!!! When are we cruising again together! LOL Dunno about VIP... I haven't yet figured out if NCL thinks Ben's famous or infamous :p I think the TSA opened my check in bag and inspected my 30 pounds of beads and dozens of Bendy's because my luggage lock was opened. :D:eek:

Hi Kylenyc! :D Soon I hope. I'm reading of all of these escapades of yours thinking "wouldn't that be fun"!. I'll drop you a line on FB. :)

Sunday morning, February 23, 2014

Norwegian Jewel Embarkation

It began as a drizzling, overcast day that threatened to put a damper on the sailaway but not Ben's exuberance. After a short taxi ride to the cruise terminal and once inside, Ben pouted when he was directed the "priority" line for Latitudes members (repeat passengers) which was even longer than the regular line. He learned long ago that the terminal personnel often didn't work for NCL and it beyond their control. However, the security line moved along smoothly and once past security screening he found a NCL staff member who quickly directed him to a proper much shorter Platinum/Gold priority check-in line for repeat repeat addicted elated passengers (and their imaginary liege) where he was checked in quickly.

The check-in crew member was friendly and efficient and soon Ben was skipping up the gangway. Once on deck... Yay! Balloons! Our party-happy pint-sized puppet was happy to see that the Jewel had a festive reception - Adorned with a balloon arch and friendly crew members. First things first however... Our impetuous elated imp immediately directed his manservant to drop off his human belongs and party supplies so they could head to lunch. He was happy to learn his cabin was already ready and when he arrived, he leaped up and down on the bed - Norwegian had recognized our Ben as VIP (Very Impish Pixie) and invited him to lunch at Cagney's. This cruise would mark Ben's 100 days at sea with Norwegian Cruise Line.

P1020631.jpg

Walking up the gangway

P1020633.jpg

P1020634.jpg

Yaaaay finally on deck!

P1020635.jpg

P1020637.jpg

Modest, comfortable oceanview cabin

P1020638.jpg

Complimentary bottle of champagne for Platinum level guests.

Edited by kylenyc

Kyle, Did any staff member stand out to you? Mandy

Yup... Pictures forthcoming. I think Jewel has among the very best crew and I heard they are in race with Getaway for top rated ship based on passenger feedback. On the Jewel, I knew no one aboard yet met many who stood out. Jewel's now one of my favorites!

Edited by kylenyc

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Lunch in Cagney's, Sailaway Party

Ben sat to a tasty lunch in Cagney's where he met the lovely waiter Danijela who's friendly smile made our compact canary cruiser's own smile even brighter. Danijela and another friendly waiter ?Rowandal? (not pictured) were so warm, friendly, and among the very best.

Afterwards we attended a relatively painless Mandatory Safety Drill, then headed to the Sailaway Party which was moved indoors due to the threatening rain. It was fun and the view was beautiful looking out the floor to ceiling windows of Spinnaker Lounge, however people began to trickl outside onto deck when they saw the sun was brightening and might peek out of the clouds.

The rest of the day was spent relaxing at the Sky High Bar & Grill over looking the pool deck and planning his port days. For dinner, Ben couldn't resist another quintessential first day cruise experience... "Lobstah Night" in the main dining room.

P1030118.jpg

The lovely Danjiela (Waiter, Cagney's)

P1020641.jpg

Lunch in Cagney's - Asparagus salad

P1020642.jpg

Lunch in Cagneys - Burger and fries minus the bun. Tried to behave on carbs but forgot to ask for something else besides yummy fries.

P1020646.jpg

Sailaway Party - Spinnaker Lounge

P1020648.jpg

Mist slowly dissipating over the Mississippi River

P1020650.jpg

Yummy surprises from the Captain!

Edited by kylenyc

Monday, February 24, 2014 At Sea

Meet & Greet, Mardi Gras Cabin Crawl

Ben had a blast on embarkation day and the next day was even better. He got to meet some of the wonderful ship's senior staff who were were very warm, friendly, and lots of fun to be with. Special thanks to Ignacio (Hotel Director), Messiah (Food & Beverage Director), Iris (Group Services Coordinator), Virginia (Concierge) and everyone who helped make Ben's different activities fun for him and his wonderful Cruise Critic friends old and new.

The senior staff and our own bendable buddy hosted a Meet & Greet for Cruise Critic members. We had a wonderful time. Ben handed out bunches of Mardi Gras masks, beads, and throws to Cruise Critic members while playing some New Orleans jazz. We then paraded down to the atrium playing Mardi Gras parade music while handing out beads to smiling passengers, and then from cabin to cabin on our cabin crawl. Much thanks to Cyndi (cyndi at home), John/Jovi/Lynda (jlstilp), and Duane (socoman) for showing their cabins and saving the cabin crawl from the some no shows.

Ben's wonderful Cabin Steward, Kay Thi, was amused by our protagonists antics while preparing for the Meet & Greet. She was always friendly and helpful throughout the voyage, making sure his ice bucket was stocked and cabin cleaned early for the crawl. She watched as Ben's poor manservant ran back and forth passing her in the hallway a dozen times in one trip forgetting one supply or the next for the party.

P1030175.jpg

Kay Thi (Cabin Steward)

P1020657.jpg

Cruise Critic Meet & Greet

P1020659.jpg

Mardi Gras Cabin Crawl

P1020660.jpg

P1020662.jpg

Iris (right) (Group Services Coordinator) and the hard working managers at Group Services

P1030178.jpg

Virginia (Concierge)

Edited by kylenyc

Monday, February 24, 2014 At Sea

Latitudes Cocktail Party

Later that afternoon, we attended the Latitudes Cocktail Party for repeat guests. While Captain Sverre was introducing his senior staff he noticed Ben perched on Ignacio's (Hotel Director) shoulder and asked "Is that your Mini Me?" And so Ben got deputized to Assistant Hotel Director of the Norwegian Jewel :p

P1020665.jpg

Ignacio (Hotel Director) with his new assistant

P1020670.jpg

Latitudes Cocktail Party

P1020677.jpg

Captain Sverre does a double-take "Ignacio, is that your 'Mini Me'?"

P1020679.jpg

P1020684.jpg

Tarts and chocolates surprise Ben in his cabin. Yum!

Monday, February 24, 2014

At Sea - Latitudes Cocktail Party

In the evening, our ecstatic elastible was invited to attend the Captain's Cocktail Party. Ignacio suggested Ben would look much more distinguished with a mustache, and demoted Ben with a chuckle so could become Messiah's Assistant Food & Beverage Director instead. :D

P1020686.jpg

Captain's Cocktail Party - Messiah (Food & Beverage Director) with his new assistant

P1020686xce.jpg

P1020686xcf.jpg

Doesn't Ben look distinguished?

P1020655.jpg

Surf and turf from Day 1. Trying to be good so didn't order an extra lobster tail ::grins::

P1020687.jpg

Code filets - Delicious!!