Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default River cruising as a solo traveller? Any advice as to best cruise line for a solo?

Can anyone advise as new to RC and would like to try it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:40 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Some river cruise ships have single cabins, which really helps with the price. Others can chime in, but I know that AMA has such cabins on several of their ships.

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone.

Next trip:
Walking the Camino de Santiago (4 Star Guided Tour)

Booked:
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-1-2015
Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-10-2015
AMA Provence 9-3-2015
Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-11-2016
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-8-2016

Sailed:
Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-7-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-19-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-26-2013 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-28-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-17-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-18-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-18-1974

Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Grand Circle is very solo friendly, often waiving the single supplement.

SAILED: Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
SAILED: Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
SAILED: Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
SAILED: AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
SAILED: Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
SAILED
: Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
SAILED: Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011. MS River Adagio
SAILED: Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. December 11, 2011.
SAILED: Grand Circle's Essence of the Elbe: Hamburg to Prague on the M/S River Allegro on May 27 to June 11, 2012
SAILED: Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn on August 18, 2012. St. Petersburg to Moscow.
SAILED: Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
SAILED: AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
SAILED: Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
SAILED: Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G __________________________________________

Grand Circle: Burma & the Irrawaddy River with Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat pretrip. 11/25 to 12/16 2014. Ship: RV Paukan

Grand Circle: Spain's Northern Coast & the Bay of Biscay with a pretrip to Maidera. 4/30/2015 to 5/21/2015. Ship: Corinthian

Old April 4th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have traveled on nine Grand Circle river cruises and three of their small ship cruises...all as a single. I have found that their prices are consistently lower for singles than any other river cruise line. On a trip with base price of $4895 the single supplement is only $745 or 15%. Most other line charge 50% or more for a single supplement. The lines that have single cabins charge a premium for these..typically $700-$800 more than a similar double occupancy rate on the same deck. I have heard of a few lines (Uniworld?) waiving the single supplement of some trips but you don't always get the dates you desire.

Grand Circle does not wave the single supplement on any of their river cruise but does not charge a supplement on their three small coastal cruise ships. These ships have two single cabins that are usually booked 12 months in advance.

Many travelers do not like Grand Circle because the don't use travel agents and their ships are older. I personally like the fact that travel agents are not used, which helps save me money. The age of the ships is, to me, irreverent because their upkeep is superb that they look new.

Last edited by rogerdawhip; April 4th, 2014 at 11:58 AM.

Old April 4th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

AMA also waives the single supplement on some sailings (even those without single rooms). It's hard to predict when that might occur, but probably not on the ships or itineraries that are likely to sell out.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Past Cruises:
AMAPrima - Danube, Prague to Budapest
Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas - Southern Carib.
Carnival Imagination - Western Carib.
Carnival Valor - Southern Carib.
Norwegian Sun - Baltics, Copenhagen, St Petersburg
Royal Caribbean Brilliance - Mediterranean, Spain Italy
Celebrity Millenium - Alaska
Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas, Western Carib.
Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince - Bermuda

Old April 4th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default solo rates on Uniworld

We are big fans of the Uniworld product. They have many sailings where the single supplement is waived:
http://uniworld.com/solo-travelers

River cruises are ideal for single travelers, as excursions are included and done is groups, so you can interact easily with other passengers if you so desire.

Old April 4th, 2014, 03:08 PM
10,000+ Club

Any of the lines that are waiving the single supplement for a particular cruise are worth a look.

Our personal preference is AMA but you should research the style and personality of the options, as well as the specific inclusions and itinerary, to see what most appeals to you personally.

A theme cruise might be a worth a look as you will find like minded passengers aboard. Our most enjoyable river cruise was wine themed as we are wine afficiandos and met lots of great people with common interests. We are booked on another this fall, again with AMA.

Most people are quite friendly and welcoming of singles on a river cruise; IMO it comes down to the line(s) that appeals to you most.

We are at the airport now, departing for Amsterdam and our first springtime Tulip cruise!

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Last edited by caviargal; April 4th, 2014 at 03:10 PM.

Old April 5th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

I like Uniworld - sometimes I go on a waived single supplement, other times not. Scenic has a single cabin (I'm told) and apparently it is specifically built, therefore it will be tiny. On Uniworld you get a double bed (ie normal cabin) when you book as a single.

The supplement might be waved at the last minute on not so popular cruises, or early and late season.

I find it's very secure way to travel when I am on my own

Old April 9th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Cruise Critic Host

I got an email offer from AMA this week that mentions waived single supplements on upcoming cruises.

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone.

Next trip:
Walking the Camino de Santiago (4 Star Guided Tour)

Booked:
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-1-2015
Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-10-2015
AMA Provence 9-3-2015
Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-11-2016
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-8-2016

Sailed:
Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-7-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-19-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-26-2013 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-28-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-17-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-18-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-18-1974

Old April 9th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hello Fraj1,

as you are based in the UK you could also look at the European based lines like CroisiEurope, Arosa, Transocean and Riviera. It has become customary to offer single-friendly cruises off season. Those lines also have lots of cruises shorter than 8 nights. So many options. Through your local TA you could also ask for the brochures of the UK land tours operators, some nice itineraries availabe there.

"Best" is always subjective...

Perhaps it might be best to start with area, itinerary and time span as well as season preferences and take it from there.

notamermaid
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's