Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old April 4th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Vantage Ships - French Balcony - Is it worth it?

Hello All:

We are considering a Christmas market cruise on Vantage in December 2015. Is it worth the extra dollars to go with a french balcony cabin? The overall cost is an extra $500 added to the trip.

Thanks, Carol

2014 CCL Legend - The Baltics
2011 NCL Jade - Eastern Mediterrean
2010 CCL Splendor - Mexican Riviera
2009 RCCL Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal
2007 RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean
2005 RCCL Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
2003 NCL Sun - Western Caribbean

Old April 4th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnco View Post
Hello All:

We are considering a Christmas market cruise on Vantage in December 2015. Is it worth the extra dollars to go with a french balcony cabin? The overall cost is an extra $500 added to the trip.

Thanks, Carol
Depends if you like being underwater with a small window at water level.

Old April 4th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnco View Post
Hello All:

Thanks, Carol
Are you planning on opening the slider with snow on the ground and freezing temperatures?

Old April 4th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by rljan View Post
Are you planning on opening the slider with snow on the ground and freezing temperatures?
So it's not as big a plus as during the warmer weather, but it still enlarges the view from a small window near the ceiling to a full wall of glass. Given that you may not want to freeze on the top deck, being able to see one side of the scenery from the warmth of your cabin may well be worth it.

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Just completed:
Walking the Camino de Santiago (4 Star Guided Tour) --
https://jazzbeauxcamino2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/5

Booked:
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-1-2015
Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-10-2015
AMA Provence 9-3-2015
Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-31-2016
Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-11-2016
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-8-2016

Sailed:
Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-7-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-19-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-26-2013 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-28-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-17-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-18-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-18-1974

Old April 5th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

We took a Christmas market cruise with Vantge and chose a French balcony only because we wanted hotel style beds. On that trip the "aquarium class" cabins had daybed/sofas. We enjoyed the amount of light that filled the room--did open the door each day. Pat

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 5th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Another thing to consider is the fact that it gets dark late afternoon. If your on a walking tour during the day, by the time you return to the ship, it may be getting dark. Even if your cruising you may want to spend more time in the lounge to take in the sights on both sides of the river.

Old April 5th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Take a good look at the ship and cabin descriptions. On some of the Vantage ships, the option is not just French balcony or aquarium deck. Cabins on the second deck may have a large window--not floor to ceiling--that's plenty for viewing.

One other item, based on numerous postings, if you want to do the markets, DO NOT book over Christmas itself. The markets will be closed. Several have posted disappointed reviews because markets closed a few days before Xmas.

OkieCruiser49/FuelScience

Old April 5th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Most of the markets close on Dec 23. I know you mentioned 2015 but here's a look at the German Xmas Markets for 2014 with times and dates.

http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/

Old April 5th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

We did a Christmas cruise with Vantage back in 2011 and upgraded to a French Balcony right next to the dining room. Glad we did but a little chilly with the door open. The 4 cruises before that we were on the bottom deck with the little window. Would we do it again, you bet. Willard

Old April 5th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by npphotog View Post
We did a Christmas cruise with Vantage back in 2011 and upgraded to a French Balcony right next to the dining room. Glad we did but a little chilly with the door open. The 4 cruises before that we were on the bottom deck with the little window. Would we do it again, you bet. Willard
Check the Vantage ship you're on. According to the 2015 catalog the four new ships have french balconies on the top two levels while the older ship, Navigator, only has french balconies on the top level. According to the catalog ALL levels on ALL ships have twin beds that convert to a double. Willard and I have had this discussion many times and because I have claustrophobia, I always book the french balcony. That being said, if I were doing a winter cruise where it gets dark earlier, I might reconsider a cabin with a large window but I could never take the aquarium level.
Egypt and Jordan, Vantage, 2009
Holland and Belgium, Vantage, 2010
Alaska, Holland America, 2011
Costa Rica, Star Flyer,Vantage, 2011
Russia and Ukraine, Vantage, 2012
Panama Canal, Celebrity Infinity, 2013
Columbia and Snake Rivers, American Cruise, 2013
Gateway to the Black Sea, Vantage, 2014

Other:
England
Italy
France
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Iceland

Not yet Sailed:
Trans Canada Rail Odyssey ,Vantage, June 2015
Switzerland Rhine & Mozelle, Vantage, August 2015
Canada-New England, Celebrity, October 2016
Elbe: Berlin to Prague, Vantage, 2016

Bucket List:
China and Yangtze River Cruise
Australia and New Zealand
South Africa, Odyssey

Old April 5th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

O.K., Today I upgraded to a French Balcony on our Dec.2014 Vantage River Splendor cruise. Are these simply sliding glass doors and is there a railing or any type of protection to keep one from falling overboard? Thanks Clark

Old April 6th, 2014, 09:42 AM
5,000+ Club

We have found that we don't spend much time in our cabin on river cruises. There is lots of space on the ship to watch the countryside. Also, you get to meet people and have fun. River cruises are more intimate than ocean cruises.

We always get the cheapest cabin we can find and have not been disappointed. You still get a window.

Old April 6th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc foster View Post
O.K., Today I upgraded to a French Balcony on our Dec.2014 Vantage River Splendor cruise. Are these simply sliding glass doors and is there a railing or any type of protection to keep one from falling overboard? Thanks Clark
They are sliding glass doors with a railing to keep you from falling overboard. You cannot step out or sit on them, but you can lean over the railing and take some wonderful unobstructed photos. And I just love sitting in front of that door (there should be a table and 2 chairs right in front of it) and having a cup of coffee while DH gets showered and dressed. Another bonus, that's really subjective, is when we're tied up to another ship I always open the drapes (after dressing of course) and sit at the table waiting and hoping someone from the cabin across from me will open their drapes. When that happens, I immediately open my door and wave. I shared tea and cookies with a couple from England on the Nile and since they were going in the opposite direction, we were able to compare notes! And on another river cruise met a couple from Russia who gave me tips on what was then an upcoming trip. They didn't speak English and I didn't speak Russian, but we shared a glass of wine and settled on French!! Both meetings were trip highlights for me.

Other:
England
Italy
France
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Iceland

Not yet Sailed:
Trans Canada Rail Odyssey ,Vantage, June 2015
Switzerland Rhine & Mozelle, Vantage, August 2015
Canada-New England, Celebrity, October 2016
Elbe: Berlin to Prague, Vantage, 2016

Bucket List:
China and Yangtze River Cruise
Australia and New Zealand
South Africa, Odyssey

Old April 6th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrokitty View Post
They are sliding glass doors with a railing to keep you from falling overboard. You cannot step out or sit on them, but you can lean over the railing and take some wonderful unobstructed photos. And I just love sitting in front of that door (there should be a table and 2 chairs right in front of it) and having a cup of coffee while DH gets showered and dressed. Another bonus, that's really subjective, is when we're tied up to another ship I always open the drapes (after dressing of course) and sit at the table waiting and hoping someone from the cabin across from me will open their drapes. When that happens, I immediately open my door and wave. I shared tea and cookies with a couple from England on the Nile and since they were going in the opposite direction, we were able to compare notes! And on another river cruise met a couple from Russia who gave me tips on what was then an upcoming trip. They didn't speak English and I didn't speak Russian, but we shared a glass of wine and settled on French!! Both meetings were trip highlights for me.
Thanks Hydrokitty for this perspective. I was going to say you made lemonade, but it actually sounds even better [limoncello?]!!!

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Just completed:
Walking the Camino de Santiago (4 Star Guided Tour) --
https://jazzbeauxcamino2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/5

Booked:
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-1-2015
Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-10-2015
AMA Provence 9-3-2015
Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-31-2016
Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-11-2016
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-8-2016

Sailed:
Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-7-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-19-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-26-2013 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-28-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-17-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-18-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-18-1974

Old April 7th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

When we travel we should all learn how to make lemonade....limoncello is even better though!!!!

Other:
England
Italy
France