NCL Pearl Crew member killed in Roatan?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:17 PM.
#41
Baton Rouge
1,797 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by Goldygolfer
We are sailing on the Pearl this coming Friday and had a tour booked with Victor Bodden for Sunday. Our tour group has just received an email from the Bodden Tour Company confirming that the ship will not be calling at Roatan on Sunday.
I haven't received any notification from Victor Bodden. Wish there was something official from NCL.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
David Jacobson
Baton Rouge


Carnival Conquest 11/02/03, 12/12/04, 01/29/12, 06/10/12
Holiday 05/03/04, 07/05/08, 10/29/09
Carnival Fantasy 11/27/05, 12/02/06, 04/30/07, 12/10/07, 02/23/08, 12/04/08, 12/08/08, 05/09/09, 08/13/09, 05/03/10
Carnival Sensation 05/02/05
Carnival Spirit 05/17/06 North to Alaska
Carnival Imagination 09/24/07, 12/04/09, 12/07/09
Carnival Elation 08/23/10, 10/15/12, 01/12/13, 05/27/13, 11/07/13, 01/16/14, 02/03/14, 05/21/15, 01/04/16
Carnival Triumph 12/06/10, 05/21/11, 09/17/11, 09/30/17
Carnival Ecstasy 09/22/11
Carnival Fascination 09/30/13, 12/15/14
Carnival Sunshine 12/01/13
NCL Jewel 04/13/14
Carnival Dream 08/24/14, 03/01/15, 04/08/18
NCL Dawn 11/29/15, 11/11/16, 04/23/17
NCL Jade 04/02/16
NCL Escape 09/10/16
Carnival Inspiration 01/30/17
NCL Getaway 05/16/17
NCL Pearl 11/10/17
NCL Breakaway 05/20/18
NCL Bliss 09/22/18, 9/30/18
#42
OH
23,852 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I did read on another roll call coming up that they called NCL and they had confirmed that they had cancelled Roatan for this coming week. However, they also said that they had not cancelled after that. So I guess there's no actual confirmation yet as to cancelling the port all together, or just for now.

The sad thing is, this kind of stuff happens all the time and not just when cruising. However, there have been plenty of reports with things going on (robberies and killings) of cruise passengers on various ships and in various ports. The cruise lines never pulled out of any of those ports. It has even happened on a cruise ship sponsored tour. It makes me wonder why the only reason for cancellation was due to an actual cruise employee of the ship being murdered instead of all of the other people that were passengers that had the same things happen. I'm pretty sure that the cruise lines are aware of how a lot of people do not feel safe or hate certain ports (for instance the gripes about Jamaica or Nassau) and still the cruise ships continue to take their passengers there.

While I realize this can happen in any country (including the US), it just strikes me as weird that they don't decide to call on a port when it's an employee that this happened to. I'm not debating whether or not they should and definitely not trying to start a debate on how it's safer there than the various US cities and so on. Just stating my observation that's all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
EPIC studio SPIRIT PEARL STAR JEWEL GETAWAY SUN SKY DAWN BREAKAWAY JADE EPIC
CARNIVAL:
Dream Pride Breeze Fascination
BAHAMAS: Great Stirrup Cay Blue Lagoon Melia Junkanoo Freeport: Paradise Cove
BARBADOS: Boatyard
BELIZE: Cavetubing Cavetubing Bannister Island Shark Ray Alley Goffs
BERMUDA: Horseshoe Bay Snorkel Park Tobacco Bay St Catherines Beach Achilles Bay Jet Ski & boat rental Warwick-Horseshoe Long Bay-Clearwater Tobacco Bay Snorkel Park
COSTA MAYA:Almaplena Maya Chan Nohoch Blue Kay
COZUMEL: Chankanaab Dolphin Swim Chankanaab Nachi Playa Mia Sanchos Passion IslandPalancar
GRAND CAYMAN: Stingray Sandbar Stingrays, Rum Point
GRAND TURK: BOHIO Governors
HALF MOON CAY
JAMAICA: Sunset Hilton Rose
ROATAN: Little French Key LFK Maya Key West Bay ZiplineLFK
SAN JUAN:Pamelas
ST KITTS: Reggae Carambola
ST LUCIA: Jalousie
ST MAARTEN: Orient & Maho Mullet Maho Divi Pinel
ST THOMAS: Saphhire Coki Linquist Coki
TORTOLA: Baths
#43
I wander the world.
1,819 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
This is so very sad.. it makes my heart for the victim his family and the island. NCL pulling out will have an effect on all the hard working island folk who are full of respect and kindness.


This is not the 1st person to get shot and killed for a cell phone, though he is the first I have heard of in broad daylight.

Truly visitors should be aware, Roatan is a island off the coast of a third world country. Electronics are like money in the bank to the bad guys.
#44
California
5,196 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by Guest 2000
Truly visitors should be aware, Roatan is a island off the coast of a third world country. Electronics are like money in the bank to the bad guys.
Just thrown' it out there...

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...l-warning.html

The Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens that the level of crime and violence in Honduras remains critically high. This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Warning dated June 17, 2013, and includes additional information on crime and security in Honduras, as well as updated contact information.

Tens of thousands of U.S. citizens visit Honduras each year for study, tourism, business, and volunteer work without incident. However, crime and violence are serious problems throughout the country, and the Government of Honduras lacks the resources to address these issues. Since 2010, Honduras has had the highest murder rate in the world. Various institutions and government agencies are still analyzing statistics for 2013. The National Violence Observatory, an academic research institution based out of Honduras’ National Public University, reports that the murder rate was slightly above 81 murders per 100,000 people for January through November.
#45
10,503 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by mitsugirly
I did read on another roll call coming up that they called NCL and they had confirmed that they had cancelled Roatan for this coming week. However, they also said that they had not cancelled after that. So I guess there's no actual confirmation yet as to cancelling the port all together, or just for now.

The sad thing is, this kind of stuff happens all the time and not just when cruising. However, there have been plenty of reports with things going on (robberies and killings) of cruise passengers on various ships and in various ports. The cruise lines never pulled out of any of those ports. It has even happened on a cruise ship sponsored tour. It makes me wonder why the only reason for cancellation was due to an actual cruise employee of the ship being murdered instead of all of the other people that were passengers that had the same things happen. I'm pretty sure that the cruise lines are aware of how a lot of people do not feel safe or hate certain ports (for instance the gripes about Jamaica or Nassau) and still the cruise ships continue to take their passengers there.

While I realize this can happen in any country (including the US), it just strikes me as weird that they don't decide to call on a port when it's an employee that this happened to. I'm not debating whether or not they should and definitely not trying to start a debate on how it's safer there than the various US cities and so on. Just stating my observation that's all.
I was on the NCL Star when the decision was made to discontinue calling on Mazatlan. That decision was the result of a shooting that occurred in the Gold Zone while a ship sponsored tour was in the vicinity.

Similar decisions have been made by various cruise lines, but are not widely publicized unless a passenger contacts the media. Even the media does not report all the incidents unless they happen in Mexico, then they jump all over it.

Several ports are in danger of losing cruise business due to their failure to control crime, but as with any change, the real reason may be masked by "politically correct" statements.
#46
I wander the world.
1,819 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by triptolemus
Just thrown' it out there...

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...l-warning.html

Indeed, the age old debate: is the island crime the same as the mainland. Many people would say no being much of the population of the island is not from the mainland but from the British Caymans along with the Garifuna. It was not so long again an only English speaking island. The islanders had to go to school to learn Spanish to speak with the Hondurans coming over from the mainland.

Once there was money to be made on the island the Spanish poverty stricken from the mainland started arriving.

The whole thing makes me so sad.
#47
10,503 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
I am pleased to see NCL stand up and give notice to the Roatan authorities that they must control crime or lose business.

This may be construed as saber rattling but it may also have a widespread effect in making all the ports safer for cruisers.

If NCL did not take quick action, the local authorities could sit back in their comfort zone and continue to allow crime to flourish. This will bring pressure on them to do something about the problem.
#48
California
5,196 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by Guest 2000
The whole thing makes me so sad.
Yeah, it's quite saddening. This morning, my reaction was more toward anger. But I do understand the underlying reasons for the violence there are quite complicated and go much deeper than my personal view and emotional reaction.

And I'd like to add that I don't mean to take away from Jacob's tragedy by pointing out the dangers to others. I guess the two topics sort of go hand-in-hand. Jacob could have been any one of us.
#49
California
5,196 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by swedish weave
If NCL did not take quick action, the local authorities could sit back in their comfort zone and continue to allow crime to flourish. This will bring pressure on them to do something about the problem.
If I understand everything correctly, similar responses (NCL and others) seemed to have had a positive impact in the Mexican Riviera and particularly, places like Mazatlán...although it took several years.
#50
I wander the world.
1,819 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by swedish weave
I am pleased to see NCL stand up and give notice to the Roatan authorities that they must control crime or lose business.

This may be construed as saber rattling but it may also have a widespread effect in making all the ports safer for cruisers.

If NCL did not take quick action, the local authorities could sit back in their comfort zone and continue to allow crime to flourish. This will bring pressure on them to do something about the problem.

I am not expert but I am thinking it is not about sitting back in a comfort zone so much as nasty crazy corruption in the system.
#51
Newmarket, NH
3,092 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by triptolemus
If I understand everything correctly, similar responses (NCL and others) seemed to have had a positive impact in the Mexican Riviera and particularly, places like Mazatlán...although it took several years.
I remember a couple years ago they skipped ports on the Mexican Riviera cruises for the same reason. It forces the law enforcement folks to stop looking the other way. I am sure most of the merchants like a safe work environment too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
5 cruises NCL - 3 Bermuda, and 2 FL.-Bahamas cruises

6 cruises Royal Caribbean -2 Eastern Caribbean, 2 Western Caribbean, 1 New England-Canada and 1 Bermuda cruise

3 Cruises Princess - 2 Alaska and 1 Eastern Caribbean

1 Carnival - Western Caribbean-mainland Mexico

1 Celebrity - South Western Caribbean

1 Holland America - Panama Canal

Absolutely loved 'em all, but NCL has me for now!
#52
North Carolina
25,300 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by mitsugirly
I did read on another roll call coming up that they called NCL and they had confirmed that they had cancelled Roatan for this coming week. However, they also said that they had not cancelled after that. So I guess there's no actual confirmation yet as to cancelling the port all together, or just for now.

The sad thing is, this kind of stuff happens all the time and not just when cruising. However, there have been plenty of reports with things going on (robberies and killings) of cruise passengers on various ships and in various ports. The cruise lines never pulled out of any of those ports. It has even happened on a cruise ship sponsored tour. It makes me wonder why the only reason for cancellation was due to an actual cruise employee of the ship being murdered instead of all of the other people that were passengers that had the same things happen. I'm pretty sure that the cruise lines are aware of how a lot of people do not feel safe or hate certain ports (for instance the gripes about Jamaica or Nassau) and still the cruise ships continue to take their passengers there.

While I realize this can happen in any country (including the US), it just strikes me as weird that they don't decide to call on a port when it's an employee that this happened to. I'm not debating whether or not they should and definitely not trying to start a debate on how it's safer there than the various US cities and so on. Just stating my observation that's all.
I don't think pulling out of Roatan has anything to do with the crime being committed on a crew member. This is an issue of the escalation of violent crime in Honduras. Things have progressively gotten worse there over the past couple years. This decision is by no means a knee jerk reaction to a single crime.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I cruise because that's where the ocean is" ~~ CC Member- sparks1093



Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08~ Serenade Of The Seas 9/14 ~Serenade Of The Seas 01/16
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014~ Breakaway 6/2015~ Star 9/2015~ Jade 1/17

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock
#53
Mississippi
404 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
This is just terrible. I read that he had a baby back home, and I feel for that child having to grow up without her father.



Not to sound crass and skip over such a tragedy, but should we be concerned for our stop in Roatan on April 22nd? We currently have a private excursion booked with Victor Bodden, but now I'm wondering if we should stay on board the ship like we plan on doing for Belize City.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Past Cruises
-------------------------------------
05/15/2011 Norwegian Spirit
#54
Central Florida... Near Port Canaveral.
247 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
I am on the Dawn right now and we would have been docking right now but the captain announced that we will have a sea day instead. I wish we could have gone to Belize for two days since the seas in the last couple days have been ROUGH. This boat has been rocking and rolling since Tampa. Weather is nice though.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Yo Ho Ho..... Just a pirates life for meeeeeeeee!


Premier Oceanic 11/97, 10/98 (husband used to work for Premier so he has been on too many times to count)
Carnival Pride 11/02 (Honeymoon Cruise) Eastern
RCCL Mariner 11/05 Eastern
RCCL Mariner 03/08 Western
RCCL Enchantment 10/14 Bahamas
Norwegian Dawn 04/14 Western
RCCL Enchantment 06/14 Bahamas
RCCL Brilliance 04/20 Eastern
Carnival Sunshine 08/15 Bahamas
RCCL Enchantment 11/15
Hawaii Trip 04/16
RCCL Oasis 11/16


#55
1,868 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
First, to the 'animal' poster..I too felt you were referring to anyone who'd kill a person for a phone and not the general population.

A couple of months ago I read that a family from a Carnival ship was robbed at gun point. And who knows what else goes on that we don't hear about. Perhaps NCL feels that the authorities there are not stepping up and doing their best to prevent crime and thinks this will be a wake-up-call. And I bet it is! Nothing moves mountains like a hit to the pocketbook! Good move NCL.
#56
10,503 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by jlacy1987
This is just terrible. I read that he had a baby back home, and I feel for that child having to grow up without her father.



Not to sound crass and skip over such a tragedy, but should we be concerned for our stop in Roatan on April 22nd? We currently have a private excursion booked with Victor Bodden, but now I'm wondering if we should stay on board the ship like we plan on doing for Belize City.
I don't think you will be stopping at Roatan. Sheehan is pretty firm when he takes a stand.

As for Belize, I think you will miss some very nice attractions at that port if you stay on the ship. Altun Ha ruins are outside the city and are impressive.

The biggest problem in Belize is within the city itself, and if you book a tour with one of the locals, they will normally go outside the city with their tours.

The port area is very secure and is walled and gated. It has several shopa and restaurants within the geted area. A small flea market is usually set up just outside the gates and you will see many security officers there.

The tender ride from the ship to the port is a thrill. The tenders run very fast and it is a pretty long ride.
#57
I wander the world.
1,819 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by jlacy1987
This is just terrible. I read that he had a baby back home, and I feel for that child having to grow up without her father.



Not to sound crass and skip over such a tragedy, but should we be concerned for our stop in Roatan on April 22nd? We currently have a private excursion booked with Victor Bodden, but now I'm wondering if we should stay on board the ship like we plan on doing for Belize City.

I would be very surprised if you were not safe with Bodden.

The victim was targeted due to using a tablet as a phone on the open street. For some reason phones, tablets and small hand helds are high value items.

Not so long ago friend of my was attacked in Africa for her Ipod.
#58
Mississippi
404 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by swedish weave
I don't think you will be stopping at Roatan. Sheehan is pretty firm when he takes a stand.

As for Belize, I think you will miss some very nice attractions at that port if you stay on the ship. Altun Ha ruins are outside the city and are impressive.

The biggest problem in Belize is within the city itself, and if you book a tour with one of the locals, they will normally go outside the city with their tours.

The port area is very secure and is walled and gated. It has several shopa and restaurants within the geted area. A small flea market is usually set up just outside the gates and you will see many security officers there.

The tender ride from the ship to the port is a thrill. The tenders run very fast and it is a pretty long ride.
The only reason we were skipping Belize was because we have excursions booked in the other 3 ports and wanted a breather.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Past Cruises
-------------------------------------
05/15/2011 Norwegian Spirit
#59
26 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Presently on the Jewel. Got a letter from the Captain last night that our stop in Roatan is cancelled on Thursday replaced with a sea day instead.
#60
South Carolina
27,927 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Originally posted by jayclancy
Presently on the Jewel. Got a letter from the Captain last night that our stop in Roatan is cancelled on Thursday replaced with a sea day instead.
Wonder if future port stops to Roatan will be cancelled as well?
LuLu
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)