Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default After cruise motion problems /rocking.

Hi there. I've only been on one cruise so far, a ten day cruise... Loved it!
When I got home though my world rocked for nine days straight. It was very disconcerting and I began to worry that it would never end!
Is this common and normal? It was quite debilitating and even walking down stairs was quite a task.
My husband just sprang a surprise on me and has booked another cruise - next week! (he's never been before. I went with a friend last time.)
I'm excited, but I confess, a bit worried that this after cruise rocking will happen again. I expected there might be some for a day or two but nine days?

I'm hoping that this time maybe the waters will be a little calmer, and maybe being in the middle of the ship? - (our cabin was right at the back the first time and some nights we were REALLY rolling) might help a bit? Hope so anyway.

Tracy

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:02 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrose7 View Post
Hi there. I've only been on one cruise so far, a ten day cruise... Loved it!
When I got home though my world rocked for nine days straight. It was very disconcerting and I began to worry that it would never end!
Is this common and normal? It was quite debilitating and even walking down stairs was quite a task.
My husband just sprang a surprise on me and has booked another cruise - next week! (he's never been before. I went with a friend last time.)
I'm excited, but I confess, a bit worried that this after cruise rocking will happen again. I expected there might be some for a day or two but nine days?

I'm hoping that this time maybe the waters will be a little calmer, and maybe being in the middle of the ship? - (our cabin was right at the back the first time and some nights we were REALLY rolling) might help a bit? Hope so anyway.

Tracy
"Sea legs" is a fairly common occurrence. Did you have any sinus congestion on the cruise or after? Did you spend a lot of time in the pool, and is this normal for you?

What has happened is that your inner ear is still experiencing the sensation of vessel motion. Motion sickness, which "sea legs" is a form of, is caused when your eyes and inner ears send different messages to the brain. On the ship, your eyes say that you're not moving (since the room moves with you), but your inner ear senses the changes in atmospheric pressure associated with vessel motion. A lot of motion sickness can be lessened just by looking at the horizon, so that your eyes see that you are moving, and agree with your inner ear.

At home, something is still causing the inner ear to sense changes in pressure, so you feel dizzy from the conflicting messages. Sinus congestion could cause this. Water trapped in the ear from time in the pool could also do this. When this happens try clearing your ears like you would when a plane changes altitude: holding nose and mouth and "blowing" hard, or swallowing hard. Many times this will clear the problem. If you have trouble clearing your ears on planes, there may be a medical reason for blockage in the ear (other than wax ), so this may require a visit to your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi and thanks.
No, I didn't have any sinus problems, no colds or anything while on the ship, or when I got home. I didn't go in the pool either (It was last winter and a cold one so I didn't swim.)
I didn't get any nausea or anything. In fact I felt perfectly fine even when they started hanging paper baggies on the stair rails for those prone to getting seasick.

I figured it must just have been my brain getting confused about the whole motion thing and taking it's time to adjust once back on land.

It just worried me a little because I remember years ago seeing a story on TV about this woman who had this happen to her and it never went away!
I'm sure that is extremely RARE.
Hope so anyway, or else I might be doomed to live on a cruise ship....forever. lol!

Tracy

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi, I haven't cruised yet but am a boater and am familiar with "land sickness" after several days on the water.

This sounds really silly, but one thing to try is to "reset" yourself when you are back on land by deliberately walking along a straight line, such as the painted lines in a parking lot or the edge of a long aisle way such as in an airport, or along a long carpet edge or sidewalk, and focusing on the line as you walk. Similar to watching the line on the side of the road for those who get carsick, this can remind your brain that you are in motion in a particular direction. Sitting still and visually scanning the horizon, if a view of it is available, can also help.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Fa-li. Ok I will try that when I get back this time. (When no one is looking, lol!)
I work from home....I'm a candle maker. I can't be pouring hot wax when I feel like that. Doesn't quite work.

Tracy

Last edited by Desertrose7; May 2nd, 2014 at 08:55 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

It is actually a medically recognized condition called mal de débarquement. When we first started cruising I would have it for 3 or 4 days after the cruise. It's been years since it has happened to me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_de_debarquement
Carnival Pride 1/14 Bahamas
Disney Dream 10/12 Bahamas
Norwegian Gem 2/12 Bahamas
Enchantment of the Seas 9/11 Bermuda
Explorer of the Seas 06/11 Bermuda
Enchantment of the Seas 11/10-Bermuda
Explorer of the Seas 9/10-Bermuda
Enchantment of the Seas 7/10-E. Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 7/10-Nowhere
Carnival Dream 11/09-Nowhere
Norwegian Dawn 10/09-Bermuda
Norwegian Dawn 7/09-Bermuda
Freedom of the Seas 8/07-W. Caribbean
Carnival Victory 07/07-Canada
Disney Magic 12/05-W. Caribbean
Disney Magic 4/04-E. Caribbean
Disney Wonder 8/03-Bahamas
Disney Magic 8/98-Bahamas
S/S Norway 03/88-T/A
Windward 1983-Caribbean
S/S Norway 1982-Caribbean
S/S Norway 07/80-Caribbean

Last edited by MagicMike; May 2nd, 2014 at 09:06 AM.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

That gives me hope Mike....so it "may" not necessarily happen to me this time?
I'm going to think positive anyway.

Oh dear....and then I saw the link and went and read it!

Funny thing is one other occasion when we flew to the US and there was a lot of turbulence I had the same thing happen, but only for a day or two. But since then it hasn't happened after air travel.

Last edited by Desertrose7; May 2nd, 2014 at 09:14 AM.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:19 AM
10,000+ Club

If 'walking the line' doesn't work try some Dramamine or Bonine.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, I did some googling and apparently it's quite common to get these short periods of land sickness.
I also read that it might be worth seeing a doctor and starting on some sea sickness meds even BEFORE the cruise, even if you don't necessarily feel sick while on the water.
I think it's rare for it to go on for very extended periods of time. This is what I'm telling myself anyway.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:14 AM
10,000+ Club

For us it last for about 1 hour each time .
Holland: 11 voyages 152 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages; 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages; 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages; 35 days
Vantage: River 2 voyage 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 66 Cruises 604 days

NOT YET SAILED
Holland Ryndam 1/15 -14 days
Holland Maasdam 3/15 - 14 days
Holland Rotterdam 4/15 - 18 days
Holland Veendam 6/15 - 14 days
Vantage River Cruise 8/15 - 21 days
Princess Emerald 8/15 -14 days
Holland Eurodam 9 /15 -17 days
Celeberity Xpedition 11/15 - 10 days
Holland Prinsendam 11/15 - 25 days
Holland Volendam 2/16 -28 days
Holland Volendam 3/16 - 30 days
Holland Volendam 3/16 - 35 days

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM
5,000+ Club

I usually rock for 3 or 4 days after every cruise. However, after my second cruise it lasted close to a month. It's seems the worst in small spaces (like the shower).

It's not particularly uncomfortable, for me at least, and I kind of look at it like a nice reminder of my cruise.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Ok, I'm not going to frighten myself into thinking "what if" .
I enjoyed the last cruise so much and it took a lot of convincing to get my hubby to warm to the idea of trying a cruise himself.
I'm just going to go and have a great time with him and if I get the rocking afterwards...well plenty of people do it seems.
Thank you

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

We're sailing away - I just noticed how many cruises you've been on.
Maybe you just haven't had enough time on land to be able to tell, lol!
That's a lot of cruising!

Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:05 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
That gives me hope Mike....so it "may" not necessarily happen to me this time?
I'm going to think positive anyway.

Oh dear....and then I saw the link and went and read it!

Funny thing is one other occasion when we flew to the US and there was a lot of turbulence I had the same thing happen, but only for a day or two. But since then it hasn't happened after air travel.
I had taken a dozen cruises, including a 33 day cruise, and never had it happen although I'd read about it. Then, after our 26 day cruise last year I had it happen. Suffered from it for almost a week after the cruise before it finally went away. Evidently it does not always happen, so think positive and enjoy planning for your cruise.

HAL 2- Star Mariner

NCL PLATINUM

NCL Star - Oct 2013 Panama Canal
NCL Star - Oct 2013. Transatlantic

NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Western Caribbean
NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Transatlantic
NCL Sun - Sept 2010; Norway, Iceland, Faroes, Lerwick, Scotland, Ireland

HAL Amsterdam - May 2010, 14 day Alaska

NCL Jewel - 2008 Transatlantic/British Isles
Celebrity Century -2007 British Isles
Oceania Regatta - 2007 Transatlantic to Marseille France
HAL Zaandam - 2006 Hawaii
NCL Sun - 2006 Panama Canal
NCL Sea - 2005 Cozumel, Belize, Roatan
Radisson [Regent] Diamond - 2005 Around the Boot of Italy
Oceania Insignia - 2005 Transatlantic to Rio de Janeiro
RCI Empress of the Seas - 2004 Soutther Caribbean
Celebrity Milennium - 2004 Transatlantic
Carnival Imagination - 2003 Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios Jamaica
NCL Majesty - 2000 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Ecstasy - 2000 Bahamas
RCI Nordic Empress (before remodel to Empress of the Seas - 1999 Eastern Caribbean

Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:07 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
We're sailing away - I just noticed how many cruises you've been on.
Maybe you just haven't had enough time on land to be able to tell, lol!
That's a lot of cruising!
Nah, they're still tadpoles. 38 years x 7 month/yr avg = 7900 days (first time I've ever figured that out)

Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Mary. I will be positive

Cheng, with that many cruising days racked up I'm surprised you haven't sprouted fins!

Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Tracy
I experienced this after my first cruise last year. I had "sea legs" ie I walked like a drunken sailor for 3 days post cruise. I didnt experience any rocking or swaying so I was fine in bed. It was just the wobbly walking - I actually experienced this at the ports during the cruise as well.

We had calm seas, our cabin was down low and in mid-ships and I took seasick meds before we boarded and during the cruise.

I got over it pretty quickly (3 days) so I have booked another cruise which will be longer. It will be interesting to see how i go next time. It;s the the wobbly legs during port visits that I am bit concerned about.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:59 AM
5,000+ Club

It's fairly normal and nothing to worry about. it happens to some and not to others. If the seas are calmer it won't be so bad the next time you cruise. I think I would ratheer have that than be seasick.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was on my first cruise in Jan. It was a short 4 day cruise but the on land motion problems lasted a full week afterward. The dizziness mostly occurred when I moved or turned too quickly. Fortunately, it was not my first experience with this, so I was familiar with the sensation.

Every time I fly or we go on a long road trip, I have the same experience. Flying or driving only causes about a half of a day of wooziness. But the cruise caused me a full week of wooziness.

We will be on a cruise next month for a week, so I expect I will go through the same again. It doesn't really matter to me though. I love traveling by air, land and sea. It just goes with the traveling for me. Kind of like packing and unpacking.

Good luck on your cruise.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I experienced this sea leg thing, sense of motion that wasn't there, after my first cruise which was 14 day TA. It lasted about a week if I remember and was pretty mild compared to what some others here say. But I have not experienced it after subsequent cruises. Maybe some people acclimate and eventually don't experience it.