Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old May 6th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default comparison ($$$) of the different companies

We have done 2 river cruises with GCT (Danube and Saone) this was several years ago. We were satisfied but I'm thinking that GCT is sort of the budget option. We are thinking of doing another (Budapest is the most important port to us). Our new travel friends did not like that GCT had only twin beds (at least on Danube cruises) so can you please rank the other lines price-wise. The other options I have looked at look waaaaay pricier! We do appreciate good food and wine but not sure to the tune of over $1000 per person! Thank you for your input!

past cruises:
Celebrity Constellation: Wine Cruise, France, Spain, Portugal Sept. 2012
Azamara Journey: Rome to Lisbon Oct. 2011
Celebrity Eclipse: Western Caribbean, March 2011
Azamara: Rome to Athens, Oct. 2010
Azamara: Rome to Barcelona, May 2010
GCT River Cruise: Provence and Cote d'Azure, Oct. 2009
Oceania Nautica: Athens to Istanbul, May 2009
GCT River Cruise: Danube, Budapest to Prague, Oct. 2008
Celebrity Constellation: Barcelona to Venice, May 2007
Carribbean crusies on Celebrity, RCL, HAL and Costa!

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 6th, 2014, 02:10 PM
10,000+ Club

Prices will depend on date and accommodation. Not sure why you would expect/want others to do this research for you.

A travel agent who knows their stuff can search out promotions and provide pricing.

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Old May 6th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

one place OP can begin researching is at the top right of this page; look for "search this thread" in pale yellow color.

Perhaps that can help.

Old May 6th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default excuuuuse me

Well I thought there might be some folks on this board that might want to give me some ideas from their experiences. I would rather not use a travel agent - GCT does not use them and it is probably one of the reasons they are less expensive. I actually have looked some at the other options and all seem much higher than GCT. I understand that exact prices depend on dates and cabin categories but I am assuming, like ocean cruises, the different brands have different niches. Please excuuse me for asking for free advice.

past cruises:
Celebrity Constellation: Wine Cruise, France, Spain, Portugal Sept. 2012
Azamara Journey: Rome to Lisbon Oct. 2011
Celebrity Eclipse: Western Caribbean, March 2011
Azamara: Rome to Athens, Oct. 2010
Azamara: Rome to Barcelona, May 2010
GCT River Cruise: Provence and Cote d'Azure, Oct. 2009
Oceania Nautica: Athens to Istanbul, May 2009
GCT River Cruise: Danube, Budapest to Prague, Oct. 2008
Celebrity Constellation: Barcelona to Venice, May 2007
Carribbean crusies on Celebrity, RCL, HAL and Costa!

Old May 6th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

This is exactly the reason we need a sticky for the great river cruise info on CC that is impossible to find.
To get a comparison of lines,,try going to CC main page and under SEARCH type river cruise info.Will give all the major lines and pricing ideas.Hope that helps.
Any of the main lines will offer more..like Viking,Avalon,Uniworld,etc.then can go up to more upscale like Scenic,AMA,Tauck.Will pay more and get more perks.THat might help.
I ve been on all the above,tend to get what you PAY for.BUdget is a main factor,lots of research under member review,too.

Old May 6th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

This question has been asked sooooo many times. That is the reason many of us are asking for the sticky that is very difficult to find. We have been on 19 river cruises and only one with GCT--it was in Myanmar and not the same as the ones in Europe. What you like -no TA-many don't like.

We are going on a Christmas market cruise with AMA. We booked thru a TA and got a veranda/French balcony cabin for the price of the lowest deck. It does take a lot of research to find what your comfort zone is cabin and pricewise.

Maybe asking some specific questions about one line or another would be easier to answer. Don't stop asking questions!!!!!Pat

Old May 6th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

IMHO, I would say that Vantage Travel and Viking would be the cruise lines that I would look at next. Both have some "deals", but you have to look for them. Yesterday I got 4 mailers from Viking for different "deals" they are offering. Some are last minute deals, some offer a discount for repeat customers, etc.

Don't forget to get a referral if you do decide to change companies.

Please do ask is you have further questions. Hopefully someone will chime in and provide an answer.

SAILED: Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
SAILED: Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
SAILED: Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
SAILED: AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
SAILED: Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
SAILED
: Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
SAILED: Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011. MS River Adagio
SAILED: Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. December 11, 2011.
SAILED: Grand Circle's Essence of the Elbe: Hamburg to Prague on the M/S River Allegro on May 27 to June 11, 2012
SAILED: Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn on August 18, 2012. St. Petersburg to Moscow.
SAILED: Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
SAILED: AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
SAILED: Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
SAILED: Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G __________________________________________

Grand Circle: Burma & the Irrawaddy River with Phnom Pehn and Angkor Wat pretrip. 11/25 to 12/16 2014. Ship: RV Paukan

Old May 6th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by suec12 View Post
... I would rather not use a travel agent - GCT does not use them and it is probably one of the reasons they are less expensive. ...
Exactly. That's also one of the reason why you'd have to use a TA on other lines: to get a TA discount and therefore decrease the cruise price.

Old May 6th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Just because you *can* use TAs to book other river cruises doesn't mean you *have* to use a TA. I booked our Christmas Market cruise directly with Avalon. I knew what I wanted, did my own research online, and called to book.....

(there are consolidator websites online - I cannot name names here - where you can search and get a variety of itinerary/price options with a couple of clicks)

Upcoming: Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986

Old May 6th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think this is one of the best topics on our boards because I believe it's impossible to just compare brochure prices to determine which is the best value for your dollar river cruise. There is just so much to compare and evaluate that in my humble opinion if you just go on price/discount alone then you are doing no more than guessing. I find putting together a spreadsheet that looks at all aspects of the costs of your particular itinerary, and I mean all costs, and breaking that down to a cost per diem is the only way to get an accurate answer.

I enjoy this exercise. It's almost as much fun as the holiday itself. You'll get many answers on what's the best value but until you see it for yourself you won't be able to make the right decision for you.

No matter what company you choose I'm sure it will be the right one for you. Have fun planning and have a great river cruise.

Old May 6th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandra cruiser View Post
This is exactly the reason we need a sticky for the great river cruise info on CC that is impossible to find.
To get a comparison of lines,,try going to CC main page and under SEARCH type river cruise info.Will give all the major lines and pricing ideas.Hope that helps.
Any of the main lines will offer more..like Viking,Avalon,Uniworld,etc.then can go up to more upscale like Scenic,AMA,Tauck.Will pay more and get more perks.THat might help.
I ve been on all the above,tend to get what you PAY for.BUdget is a main factor,lots of research under member review,too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmom View Post
This question has been asked sooooo many times. That is the reason many of us are asking for the sticky that is very difficult to find. We have been on 19 river cruises and only one with GCT--it was in Myanmar and not the same as the ones in Europe. What you like -no TA-many don't like.

We are going on a Christmas market cruise with AMA. We booked thru a TA and got a veranda/French balcony cabin for the price of the lowest deck. It does take a lot of research to find what your comfort zone is cabin and pricewise.

Maybe asking some specific questions about one line or another would be easier to answer. Don't stop asking questions!!!!!Pat
Who is going to put together the "sticky?" As I read this, the information OP is requesting hasn't been provided in any of the responses. I suspect that it's because it is difficult to compare apples and apples. I have only traveled on one line; no way to accurately compare it to another line. I can tell you what I like about it, but don't ask me to rate it against the line you have travelled.

GCT and Vantage are on the less expensive end of the spectrum. But, with the exception of the Christmas market cruises, their trips run about two weeks. Some other lines seem to generally have shorter trips.

Some lines have mostly a standard accommodation on board price differentiated primarily by cabin location; other lines have many types and sizes of cabins with substantial price differences. The spread of amenities and tours included is also pretty substantial and really complicates comparisons.

Old May 7th, 2014, 12:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've been getting some great promotions by e-mail a couple times a week.
Why don't you go online to each of the companies most often talked about and request a brochure and asked to be on their e-mail list for special deals.
Most companies also list specials on their website. I have seen some fabulous offers for sailings in the next 4 months.

Some of the very large Online TA that specialize in "Luxury" cruises are offering some real bargains a will provide wonderful benefits (OBC, discounts, gratuities) my sure made my trip more affordable!

Good luck with the research

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Old May 7th, 2014, 05:42 AM
10,000+ Club

There are definitely TAs that specialize in river cruising who offer exceptional and unadvertised discounts and perks that you will not find with the cruise line. To use one costs nothing - I never understand why anyone would choose not to personally.

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Old May 7th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I really don't understand the OP's request. She has been on several ocean cruises. River Cruises are priced similarly based on the "brand". Sometimes the companies throw in extras such as low or free airfare, or gratuities. You research River Cruises the same way your research Ocean cruises.

Researching Venice to Greek Islands cruises now

Old May 7th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Re.putting together the sticky,It would be up to one of the HOsts of the website here to ask management,I m assuming.
Did email 2 of them,also started a thread re this.Just to make it easier to find the CC info.Good for newbies.Helps with overall questions.

Old May 7th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Everyone has a right to start a new thread. I just don't understand why some questions strike a nerve with some people. You have choices, don't follow the thread and don't waste your time replying if you think there is no merit in the topic.
Life is short

Past Cruises:
Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas - Southern Carib.
Carnival Imagination - Western Carib.
Carnival Valor - Southern Carib.
Norwegian Sun - Baltics
Royal Caribbean Brilliance - Mediterranean
Celebrity Millenium - Alaska
Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas, Western Carib.
Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince - Bermuda

Old May 7th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Suec12,

If you go to the main page, select find a cruise. Where it says city or port place a city you would like to visit on a river cruise. I used Budapest and there were over 200 selections. You can click on quote to find price. Maybe this will help. Pat

Old May 7th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
To use one costs nothing - I never understand why anyone would choose not to personally.
I have contacted several over the years - including many recommended to me (offline) by CC members. I have used one for ocean cruises - just for the cruise booking to get an onboard credit but after I had done all the research myself. I did not find anyone able to give me any deals for the river cruise we booked and I didn't feel like spending more time calling & emailing around to save $100 here or there, so I booked myself. That's why I don't/rarely use a travel agent.

Upcoming: Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986

Old May 7th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
I have contacted several over the years - including many recommended to me (offline) by CC members. I have used one for ocean cruises - just for the cruise booking to get an onboard credit but after I had done all the research myself. I did not find anyone able to give me any deals for the river cruise we booked and I didn't feel like spending more time calling & emailing around to save $100 here or there, so I booked myself. That's why I don't/rarely use a travel agent.

Need to look harder we got 10% rebated which came out to over $1200. This was a significant budget boost! To me this was worth the effort of using a TA, thru have been super responsive and when I referred someone who booked and then sailed I also got a $150 referral applied to my booking.

So yes, using a TA is certainly worthwhile! JMHO

Old May 7th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana541 View Post
Need to look harder we got 10% rebated which came out to over $1200. This was a significant budget boost! To me this was worth the effort of using a TA, thru have been super responsive and when I referred someone who booked and then sailed I also got a $150 referral applied to my booking.

So yes, using a TA is certainly worthwhile! JMHO

I agree!
We have booked ourselves and used a TA. To us, even a savings of $100 or so is well worth it. We received over $1000 OBC for our Med cruise a few years back. (That was certainly not the norm.) Some of the larger agencies book tons of cabin blocks when the itineraries are first released, and can pass alond these "group" savings and/or amenities to individual customers, even after the rates have gone up. We got 5% off on our river cruise, $100 OBC per person and the "free" TC berth credit was split among the group. That will pay for cost of one of our private tours.
Why pass up on theses "freebies"? You just need to find a good agent/agency.

Past Cruises:
Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas - Southern Carib.
Carnival Imagination - Western Carib.
Carnival Valor - Southern Carib.
Norwegian Sun - Baltics
Royal Caribbean Brilliance - Mediterranean
Celebrity Millenium - Alaska
Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas, Western Carib.
Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince - Bermuda

Last edited by sippican; May 7th, 2014 at 01:28 PM.