taxis at Moorea ferry pier?

rob&mich

arriving at ppt airport around 6;30 a.m after clear customs taxi to pier for ferry to Moorea. When we dock, will there be taxis to go to Hilton?

There are 3 ways to go to the Hilton ........

1. Taxi, but there are not a lot of them on Moorea

2. By bus ....... the bus is about 3 bucks each, you grab the bus out front at the ferry terminal. Tell the driver where you want to be dropped off.

3. Shuttle - http://www.toreanui.com or http://www.albert-transport.net/p3_gb.asp

Having been to Moorea about 10 times I know .......

Moorea Taxi Service (689) 56.18.10 / 56.18.39,

Pero taxi service (689) 56.10.18

Justine taxi service (689) 77.48.26

All will pickup at the ferry dock, airport or hotel.

Figure about $30 - $40 USD from the ferry to the Hilton from 6 am - 6 pm, price doubles at night. Usually they hang at the airport but will gladly pickup at the ferry if you call.

FYI, the price of the bus service has gone up to around $5 - $6 bucks USD PP, one way, anywhere on the island.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I don't recall seeing a phone booth anywhere except in a really random location on Bora Bora that was no where near where the tenders dock. I would prebook one before you leave home.

Thank you for your help. I would imagine there are phones at the ferry either in Papeete or where we dock in Moorea to call for a taxi?

I would call from the PPT airport, just let them know which ferry you will be on. The local Polynesians are very friendly, just ask one to call you a taxi on their cell phone. Just make sure you have the phone numbers with you.

We only took taxis in Tahiti, and the prices were pretty well fixed airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to hotel, and hotel to airport. I want to remember a fare card in the cab that spelled it all out. I assumed it was that way throughout all of FP?

As many of us frequent travelers to FP can attest, you always get a firm price before you hop in the Taxi, there is some flexibility in charges, per person, per bag, time of day, etc. Asking prior to boarding is standard procedure for those in the know ;)

Edited by Tikiintahiti

When I did this on Moorea all the drivers wanted crazy money!

For example: one time I only wanted to go to the fruit juice factory, 2 drivers wanted $50. It's a 10 minute drive!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I would contact the Hilton and arrange to have them pick you up at the Moorea Ferry dock. You can call them on your cell when you leave the dock so they will know which Ferry you are on. Make sure you tell them which company as well, as there are two ferry companies. It isn't that much more expensive than a cab and you can TRUST the Hilton driver. It takes about 25 minutes. When you purchase your ferry tickets, buy round trip. It's cheaper.

Make sure you either:

a. Book the night before so you are guaranteed your room will be ready when you arrive early in the morning

b. Write the hotel in advance and REQUEST an early check in. This property runs about 85% full so there is a good chance your room will NOT be ready early if you don't book the night before. BREAKFAST IS INCLUDED IN MOST RATES, so hold off and enjoy the Hilton's wonderful breakfast buffet. Upgrade to an over the water bungalow. Well worth it.

As many of us frequent travelers to FP can attest, you always get a firm price before you hop in the Taxi, there is some flexibility in charges, per person, per bag, time of day, etc. Asking prior to boarding is standard procedure for those in the know ;)

Before we got into any cab we verified the fare we would be charged, and using the info I had gleaned from this and other Internet forums, made sure it was the appropriate fare. We didn't have anyone trying to take advantage of us, although our trips were all the most common ones where it would have been immediately obvious that we were being duped.

Unless it is a metered cab in a major US city, you should always, always, always ask the fare. Even if the cab is metered, if you are going someplace that is a longer distance or has multiple routes, it's a good idea to either tell the driver the route you want to take, or ask for an idea of the fare before you get in.

I would contact the Hilton and arrange to have them pick you up at the Moorea Ferry dock. You can call them on your cell when you leave the dock so they will know which Ferry you are on. Make sure you tell them which company as well, as there are two ferry companies. It isn't that much more expensive than a cab and you can TRUST the Hilton driver. It takes about 25 minutes. When you purchase your ferry tickets, buy round trip. It's cheaper.

Make sure you either:

a. Book the night before so you are guaranteed your room will be ready when you arrive early in the morning

b. Write the hotel in advance and REQUEST an early check in. This property runs about 85% full so there is a good chance your room will NOT be ready early if you don't book the night before. BREAKFAST IS INCLUDED IN MOST RATES, so hold off and enjoy the Hilton's wonderful breakfast buffet. Upgrade to an over the water bungalow. Well worth it.

If you book for the night before, book the cheapest room. No sense spending the coin for an OWB that you'll occupy for four hours when all you'll be doing is sleeping and showering.