Child drowns on Independence

"The child was found in a state of cardio-respiratory arrest at the bottom of the ship's pool," said Yann Bouvard, a spokesman for the maritime prefecture in the port of Brest.

come on parents. 6? so sad. get your young one that floating vest , my son always had it on that young. and be in the pool with a child that age.

you cant blame strangers for not seeing it nor the cruise line.

Edited by Harooni

"The child was found in a state of cardio-respiratory arrest at the bottom of the ship's pool," said Yann Bouvard, a spokesman for the maritime prefecture in the port of Brest.

come on parents. 6? so sad. get your young one that floating vest , my son always had it on that young. and be in the pool with a child that age.

you cant blame strangers for not seeing it nor the cruise line.

Of course, the article didn't say anything about the parents blaming strangers nor the cruise line.

It's also possible there was a miscommunication on who was watching the 6yo (mom?, dad?, grandparents?, older sibling?)

I'm guessing it's easy to jump to conclusions because it makes us seem like "it can't happen to us/we're better parents".

I hope the child survives and the responsible parties are able to forgive (but not forget).

Of course, the article didn't say anything about the parents blaming strangers nor the cruise line.

It's also possible there was a miscommunication on who was watching the 6yo (mom?, dad?, grandparents?, older sibling?)

I'm guessing it's easy to jump to conclusions because it makes us seem like "it can't happen to us/we're better parents".

I hope the child survives and the responsible parties are able to forgive (but not forget).

true it could happen to anyone , accidents happen sadly.

I also have to agree. I raised 3 boys and they were never out of my sight at a pool, even if it was a kiddie pool. Before anyone wads their panties about my statement; even without knowing the details but knowing what its like to raise kids (boys), they always have to be supervised. With parenting comes responsibility and accountability 24/7.

I hope this child pulls through but the article certainly didn't sound too promising.

It is horrible that so may accidents happen to young ones. I have been on 42 cruises and there are always parents that are too busy having fun and do not keep their eyes on their child. They run, jump, even jump in hottubs. Hubby and I were justing about how cruise lines at least need to enforce adults only pools.

If people are in the pool but everyoone is laughing, talking, drinking then of course you are not going to notice. I say even if a child can swim you have to have eyes all over.

Hey what about the kids running through the hallways, stairs etc; and where are the parents? I am shocked when I have seen a 5 year old in the elevator all by himself- really??

Let's us all pray for a complete recovery!

kind of strange since it seems the incident occurred during the day (says authorities were called at 2PM) when you think there would have been plenty of folks in the pool area.

Marianne

emphasis mine.

Unfortunately that's when most of these events occur.

Very sad, hope the kid pulls through. Kids under 12 should not be allowed in pools without a parent PRESENT at or in the pool. Perhaps RCI should start offering personal floatation devices for kids as well for use in pools.

The definition of Drown is to kill by submerging and suffocating in water or another liquid.The article indicates that the child is fighting for his life and is in graved condition indicating the individual is still alive.

This is truly an unfortunate occurrence. My heart and prayers go out to the family but please don't make the matter worse by your unfortunate word choice.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Poor thing!

I read an interesting article about why it's so easy for people to drown in plain sight of others a while back. Good information for everyone.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/family/2013/06/rescuing_drowning_children_how_to_know_when_someone_is_in_trouble_in_the.html

Yes, great information. Thank you for posting it.

On Radiance last month I reported 2 little ones in the kids pool alone with no adults or anyone!! I could see around? :eek: We were just walking by.......

Edited by CVU

These stories inevitably prompt the most important question:

1) Where were the parents?

They could have been right there and not realize the child was drowning. Read th link posted by Katydyd.

The real question is why there are not lifeguards. Disney Cruise lines put lifeguards on their ships. All the cruise lines should follow suit.

The definition of Drown is to kill by submerging and suffocating in water or another liquid.The article indicates that the child is fighting for his life and is in graved condition indicating the individual is still alive.

This is truly an unfortunate occurrence. My heart and prayers go out to the family but please don't make the matter worse by your unfortunate word choice.

When he was taken from the bottom of the pool he had no cardiac or respiratory activity , he was clearly in extremis- but it sounds they have been able to restore some circulation, and resuscitate him to where he is now 'gravely' ill.... which is not much, but better than when they found him.

If you object to the word drown, what do you think happened to him ?

They could have been right there and not realize the child was drowning. Read th link posted by Katydyd.

The real question is why there are not lifeguards. Disney Cruise lines put lifeguards on their ships. All the cruise lines should follow suit.

I agree. We can't go to our local pools without there being several lifeguards on duty...

When he was taken from the bottom of the pool he had no cardiac or respiratory activity , he was clearly in extremis- but it sounds they have been able to restore some circulation, and resuscitate him to where he is now 'gravely' ill.... which is not much, but better than when they found him.

If you object to the word drown, what do you think happened to him ?

"Nearly drowns" would have been more accurate.

It's like saying someone was electrocuted but survived.