Attire on AMA Waterways?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:54 PM.
California
370 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
About to sail soon (Amsterdam to Budapest) - what's been everyone's experience regarding attire? I know comfy for touring by day, and they suggest smart casual to dinner (slightly dressier for the Capt. Dinner). Were levis acceptable or did most stick to slacks for dinner? Just curious on your helpful observations-
FL
14,261 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Just back from our 3rd AMA cruise and as always, jeans at dinner was definitely a small portion of guests.

I wear slacks and top or simple dress, husband nice slacks and collared shirt, button down for the two dressier nights.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
143 cruises since 1964, 15 on the river.
Looking forward to:
Le Lyral, The Adriatic, September 2017
MS Joy - Magic of Advent, December 2017
Crystal Esprit, February 2018

AmaKristina, Christmas Markets, December 2018
Scenic Eclipse, April, 2019

Our river cruising history:
Avalon Luminary B2B- Christmas Markets, 2009
Avalon Affinity - Christmas Markets 2010
Avalon Panorama - Danube New Years Cruise, 2011
AmaDante -Vineyards of the Rhine and Moselle 2012
AmaCerto - Budapest to Nuremburg, 2013
AmaBella - Tulip Time, 2014
AmaDagio - Provence, 2014
AmaReina - Holiday on the Rhine 2014
SS Catherine - Provence 2015
AmaSerena Christmas on the Rhine, 2015
Scenic Diamond, Bordeaux, April 2016
AmaVida, Douro, August. 2016
AmaSonata, Romantic Danube - Oct. 2016
Joie de Vivre, Paris and Normany - April 2017
California
370 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Thanks for your replies - we're so accustomed to dressing "up" for dinner on the ocean cruises (not fancy but a little more bling-y and jacket/tie for the hubby) so we're wondering how river cruising compares. Sounds more casual?
FL
14,261 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Originally posted by KikiKruiser
Thanks for your replies - we're so accustomed to dressing "up" for dinner on the ocean cruises (not fancy but a little more bling-y and jacket/tie for the hubby) so we're wondering how river cruising compares. Sounds more casual?
Ocean cruising has become pretty casual these days on the main stream lines IMO.

River cruising has a different overall demographic. Most people dress nicely for dinner, but casual. Most men were slacks with golf or other collared shirts, with the occasional sport coat. Ladies will wear nice slacks to dinner. with pretty tops, and you will some sparkle on the 2 dressier nights. No need to pack cocktail, etc. I always bring one dress ( a simple wrap or sweater dress) as I like dresses and I will wear that twice over the week. We cruise in cool weather months and I suspect nice capris would also be worn at dinner in warm weather months.

People dress up more for dinner in the specialty restaurant on AMA, which is a lovely experience.

No need for sport coats for me, unless that is personal preference.

We do tend toward the dressier guests on board but that is just our style.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
143 cruises since 1964, 15 on the river.
Looking forward to:
Le Lyral, The Adriatic, September 2017
MS Joy - Magic of Advent, December 2017
Crystal Esprit, February 2018

AmaKristina, Christmas Markets, December 2018
Scenic Eclipse, April, 2019

Our river cruising history:
Avalon Luminary B2B- Christmas Markets, 2009
Avalon Affinity - Christmas Markets 2010
Avalon Panorama - Danube New Years Cruise, 2011
AmaDante -Vineyards of the Rhine and Moselle 2012
AmaCerto - Budapest to Nuremburg, 2013
AmaBella - Tulip Time, 2014
AmaDagio - Provence, 2014
AmaReina - Holiday on the Rhine 2014
SS Catherine - Provence 2015
AmaSerena Christmas on the Rhine, 2015
Scenic Diamond, Bordeaux, April 2016
AmaVida, Douro, August. 2016
AmaSonata, Romantic Danube - Oct. 2016
Joie de Vivre, Paris and Normany - April 2017
231 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Just back from AMA Istanbul to Budapest. Dinner dress varied from slacks and collared shirts for men to nice jeans and tops for both. A few sports coats and a few sparkly tops for the Captain's dinner, but most seemed to dress casually. I wore my black cord. jeans or nice dark blue ones. No tank tops, workout wear, ball caps, or sloppy t-shirts, but otherwise, no one seemed to notice or care what others were wearing.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
Los Angeles, CA
2 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Just got off the AMA Sonata, a brand new ship. Real casual during the days, jeans etc.
Captains Dinner is a little dressier, some people had jackets but most of the time dinners were almost as casual as daytime. NOTE: If by chance you are going to State Opera house in Vienna for an opera (and I highly recommend it if you can) most people are somewhat dressed up (only the Americans were casual). Hope this helps.
208 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by Mr. LA
Just got off the AMA Sonata, a brand new ship. Real casual during the days, jeans etc.
Captains Dinner is a little dressier, some people had jackets but most of the time dinners were almost as casual as daytime. NOTE: If by chance you are going to State Opera house in Vienna for an opera (and I highly recommend it if you can) most people are somewhat dressed up (only the Americans were casual). Hope this helps.
Would love to know more about how to go to State Opera House invite an. We are taking your cruise in September.
Dallas, Texas
415 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Sitting in the lounge of the Amadagio right now for the pre-dinner briefing. This is our 4th AMA cruise, and they get progressively more casual. Most men in slacks and golf or polo shirts, and women in slacks and casual tops - lots of Capri pants. A very small number - less than half a dozen - are really dressed up.
208 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by Mr. LA
Did you do the Vienna Opera house through AMA? Did you see a performance? Was it touristy?
982 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Elwinnie
Did you do the Vienna Opera house through AMA? Did you see a performance? Was it touristy?
Another related question...what venue does AMA use? I've read that some lines use a venue that isn't all that nice with crowded conditions. Hope AMA isn't one of the them!
Wht Mts, NH - Gulf Coast, FL
2,705 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
I do not believe that AMA utilizes the Opera House for a venue. There are only three events listed on the site for the month of July - 9, 11, 12.
In fact, nost major events in Vienna are suspended for the months of July and August - something I wish I had known when planning.
Our documents list the venue as either the Hofburg Palace or Palais Auersperg (which both look lovely). The musicians are not identified - "local musicians (Vienna Hofburg Orchestra, The Vienna Residence Orchestra or similar)."
It lists the bus ride as one hour, and the duration of the excursion as 3 hr 15 min. It includes a ride through the Ringstrasse at night, which we plan on DIY following dinner, so we can take our time and enoy the lovely illuminated buildings..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:
Celebrity Reflection - Med & Greek Isles
Coral Princess - Partial Transit Panama Canal
Celebrity Silhouette - TA
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas - Arctic Circle
Disney Fantasy - Souhern Caribbean
AMAPrima - Danube, Prague to Budapest
Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas - Southern Carib.
Carnival Imagination - Western Carib.
Carnival Valor - Southern Carib.
Norwegian Sun - Baltics, Copenhagen, St Petersburg
Royal Caribbean Brilliance - Mediterranean, Spain Italy
Celebrity Infinity - Alaska
Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas, Western Carib.
Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince - Bermuda
Hong Kong
37 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
I did the Vienna opera excursion with AMA 3 summers ago. It was a made for tourist event, anyone can buy a ticket from the street vendors and 90% of the audience were visitors to the city, if not all. But it was a good performance and the general feeling of passengers on the return bus was that it was an enjoyable evening.