Just returned from 7/4 Galaxy Cruise

rogfam

We are looking at the Galaxy for a similar cruise next fall (2006). 1)How is the ship..well kempt? I know it's 1996 vintage...but from what I've heard it is clean and tidy. 2) what type of cabin do you recommend? Is a balconey really a big benefit? (money is an issue). 3) did you take any ship arranged excursions? we are planning on going to Istanbul and want to do the ship tour..any comments? 4) any photos to share? 5) would you go again? 6)what port was your fav? 7) any problems or warnings for us?

thanks

Hi Anniecat,

First, it was a great cruise. Loved every minute of it. As you mentioned, the Galaxy is nearly 10 years old. This is our second cruise on this ship, the first being the Baltic a few years ago. I was concerned about her general conditions, but was happy that the ship is in much better shape than I thought. There are so stains on chairs her and there, but I highly recommend her.

No really bad cabin. Balcony is an option, but not essential. We had a Family Ocean View Stateroom. Only about a dozen on the entire ship. 20% larger than most cabins. Faces the back of the ship.

There were two other couples with us and we hired private guides for the ports. Less expensive and much more personal that the ships excursions. Found them out by various websites, etc. If interested let me know.

Got home from Rome a few hours ago, so still working on the pictures.

No really favorite port, all were super. Greek Islands were breathtaking, Istanbul was super (found a great place for dinner on the 4th floor roof overlooking the entire city), and yesterday we had a driver take us to Positano and Sorrento on the Amalfi coast. Would return in a heartbeat.

No problems or warnings. Istanbul was a lot safer and friendlier than I thought it would be.

Any more questions, just ask.

Go and enjoy!

We are leaving on that cruise July 25th...family of 4 (w/15 and 18 year old). Glad to read all the positive comments.

Did you go to any of the gym classes? I am interested to know if they had spin classes. And a more specific question if you said yes to the first, do you know if the bikes had clips?

Another sort of off beat question....we were considering taking a portable dvd player to catch up on some movies. Do you know if the t.v.'s have a video input?

Oh yeah, HOW HOT IS THE WEATHER????

Thanks so much for your help. I may have a few more before we take off on the 23rd.

Debbie

Debbie,

The weather was either hot, or hotter! 90-102 degrees. Hottest was in Kusadasi, but now with the bombing there I wonder if they will cancel this stop.

Do not buy water on the ship before you visit the ports. Three to four times more expensive than when you buy it at the port.

Did walk into the gym, but to speak to a friend about when we were meeting for dinner... so can't help you there.

The tv in our cabin had a vcr attached to it, therefore, you probably will be able to hook up your dvd player.

Even though the say that you dock in Civitavecchia (Rome) at 8AM, it really was 4AM. We had a 12:15 flight and they disembarked at 6:15 AM. Since we had our own transfers, we left later. People couldn't check in at the airport until 3 hrs. before the flight departure., They were there at 7:30...plan accordingly.

Any other questions, please ask.

Glenn

Carole, Yes there is a sushi bar! It is open each day from 6-10 PM except for the day in Mykonos, when there is an great Greek dinner buffet that is served on the back deck.

Pete, we were in cabin 1163. Very nice. Plently of pictures, still have to down load.

Glenn

Hi JanBeth,

Don't waste your money on any excursions of the Greek Islands. Just walk around, eat, or go to the beach. What I do suggest is to visit the town of Oia on the island of Santorini. The Galaxy doesn't dock in Santorini, you take a tender to the island (5 mins). At the dock there is the choice of a cable car, donkey, or walking to go up 1000 ft to the main town of Fira. From there we hired a taxi to drive the 20 mins to Oia; beautiful beyond words.

Excellent guide in Turkey. Anna & Isak Eski**** Private Tours http://www.eski****.com

We had Isak in Istanbul who was great. Because you dock in the afternoon on Saturday, and leave in the afternoon on Sunday, we had 2 half day tours. Saw all the sights, learned a great deal. Remember, Grand Bazaar is closed on Sunday, so you must see it Saturday.

In Kusadasi, we used his company also for a full day guided tour to Espeshus. Great young female guide.

Mention the Gold party from 7/9,10,11.

Terrible guide in Athens. Do not suggest you use him. Name is Paul of Greek Taxi. Just dropped us off and let us walk around each place ourselves.

If I had the day to do over again, would take a taxi from the port (appox. 20 Euros.) to the Acropolis, hire a guide there (plenty to pick) and then go the the Plaka for shopping and lunch. Cab it back to the ship. Really nothing else in Athens worthwhile spending time on.

In Naples we used Giovanni of Tour of Italy http://www.tourofitaly.com We had a great time. He was great! He was like out of a movie, had Dean Martin singing That's Amore on a CD when he picked us up. Gave roses to the women!

Drove to Pompeii where he arranged a separate guide for us. He was one of the best. Then he drove us to the Amalfi Coast where we visited Sorrento and Positano. Walked around and found a super place for lunch (had no room for dinner.

Any questions, let me know.

Glenn

• 4 weeks later...

Scott,

The name of the retaurant is Develi. Website http://www.develikebap.com Top kebab restaurant in Istanbul. Established in 1912. It is about a 20min (appox.$15) cab ride fromthe ship. I had called and made reservations before we left, but I'm sure you can just walk in. Sit on the terrace roof which is beautiful. We had the "tasting dinner" which included wine, and enough food to choke a horse! Appox. $35 pp.

Enjoy!

Glenn

Before we sailed I had read on these boards many negative things about the Galaxy's condition, and was concerned. Sure, there might have been a stain here or there on a chair, but the overall condition was excellent. Remember, the ship is nearly ten years old. The staff was superb, and you will have a great time.

Archived