Pickpockets

purduemom1

This may have been mentioned before but certainly worth another mention. Yesterday I spoke to a relative who travels to Prague several times a year. He stressed that we needed to be careful to guard against pickpockets. He mentioned that in addition to their presence in crowds, we needed to be very careful and mindful when getting on and off public transport. He said that the pickpockets will ride the tram, metro etc., looking for tourists and then strike while they are busy watching the sights, looking at a map or trying to get off along with a crowd of others. While this warning was for Prague, it applies to most large cities all over the world.

This may have been mentioned before but certainly worth another mention. Yesterday I spoke to a relative who travels to Prague several times a year. He stressed that we needed to be careful to guard against pickpockets. He mentioned that in addition to their presence in crowds, we needed to be very careful and mindful when getting on and off public transport. He said that the pickpockets will ride the tram, metro etc., looking for tourists and then strike while they are busy watching the sights, looking at a map or trying to get off along with a crowd of others. While this warning was for Prague, it applies to most large cities all over the world.

Yes, Prague is one of the worst, but so are many other cities especially where there are tourists.

When we were on the Metro in Rome last year, a man stood behind my husband and reached around to get something from his side pocket. I saw him do this and swatted his hand. My husband didn't realize what had happened. I continued to watch the man while on the train and he didn't go after anyone else while we were there. Since my husband NEVER puts valuables in his pockets, the pickpocket would have been very disappointed.

Important to be SMART and avoid having anything in a place that could be a target.

Paris has signs everywhere to beware of pickpockets. We were warned by taxi drivers too, especially at Gare du Nord, plus everywhere there are loads of tourists.

Gare du Nord was the only place in Paris that we didnt feel totally safe, even though we had no problem there. There are lots of beggars, gypsies, drunks and homeless there. Just be aware of yourself and your belongings and you should be ok too.

Deb

They are in all big cities as the OP said. We had two experiences in Madrid, one when our daughter had her wallet stolen in the metro and the other when another daughter put her hand in her pocket and found somebody's hand already there!! Stay vigilant but enjoy.

When we were on the Metro in Rome last year, a man stood behind my husband and reached around to get something from his side pocket. I saw him do this and swatted his hand. My husband didn't realize what had happened. I continued to watch the man while on the train and he didn't go after anyone else while we were there. Since my husband NEVER puts valuables in his pockets, the pickpocket would have been very disappointed.

Important to be SMART and avoid having anything in a place that could be a target.

Instead of your husband having nothing in his pockets, he should have had a stun gun in the pocket. That would be a real shocker for the potential thief.

DON

Instead of your husband having nothing in his pockets, he should have had a stun gun in the pocket. That would be a real shocker for the potential thief.

DON

Now if you could only get one of those through security - pickpocket problem solved. :p

There are pickpockets in most major cities throughout the world. We travel a lot and I use a special pickpocket-proof purse that I purchased from http://www.PacSafe.com. I have been using it for years. I only take it on vacations. My husband uses a neck pouch, also from PacSafe. When we walk around in crowded cities, and especially around tourist sites where the pickpockets generally congregate, we feel very, very safe and don't worry about them.

PacSafe makes great products! I am not always as vigilent as I should be - it is too easy to get distracted by beautiful scenery, street musicians, people watching....... My Metro 200 cross body purse has a slash proof strap, is roomy enough to hold maps, a guide book, small purchases, a small camera, and has well organized spaces to hold money and ID.

While in Rome last summer, my family and I rode the metro on a regular basis. On one trip, some youngsters stopped in front of me so that I could not step onto the train. As I moved around them to board amidst some confusion, I felt a hand in my front long-pants pocket and quickly swatted the hand away. Luckily, my wallet was in a zippered internal pocket in that same front pants pocket. As we continued our Rome travels, I pulled out my P Cubed shorts ("pick-pocket proof") from the suitcase. While wearing them, I didn't have any additional problems. The only downside to these pants is that it was also difficult for me to get into a pocket!

While in Rome last summer, my family and I rode the metro on a regular basis. On one trip, some youngsters stopped in front of me so that I could not step onto the train. As I moved around them to board amidst some confusion, I felt a hand in my front long-pants pocket and quickly swatted the hand away. Luckily, my wallet was in a zippered internal pocket in that same front pants pocket. As we continued our Rome travels, I pulled out my P Cubed shorts ("pick-pocket proof") from the suitcase. While wearing them, I didn't have any additional problems. The only downside to these pants is that it was also difficult for me to get into a pocket!

As another poster mentioned he keeps his wallet in his front pocket. A professional pickpocket could easily get your wallet with little tricks like this in crowded tourist areas. My husband who usually keeps his wallet in his pocket does not bring his wallet when we travel and uses the neck pouch for money, credit cards and passport. There are other types of belt pouches, pants with special pockets as another poster mentioned that keep your valuables safe from pickpockets. Check out http://www.pacsafe.com for other ideas.

Edited by Carol From California

I have a purse that has a wire in the strap and a locking clip for the main section. I never carry anything in my wallet except for a dollar or two. My credit cards, etc., are in pockets within the locked section of my purse.

2 years ago we had a fellow passenger who had her wallet taken from her purse. She lost the wallet and several dollars only.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a purse that has a wire in the strap and a locking clip for the main section. I never carry anything in my wallet except for a dollar or two. My credit cards, etc., are in pockets within the locked section of my purse.

2 years ago we had a fellow passenger who had her wallet taken from her purse. She lost the wallet and several dollars only.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a purse like that too. In addition to the wire in the strap, it has slash proof pockets on the front and the locking clasps. Like you, I carry all the valuables in that part of the purse. We also use money belts so hopefully we will outsmart the criminals.

As another poster mentioned he keeps his wallet in his front pocket. A professional pickpocket could easily get your wallet with little tricks like this in crowded tourist areas. My husband who usually keeps his wallet in his pocket does not bring his wallet when we travel and uses the neck pouch for money, credit cards and passport. There are other types of belt pouches, pants with special pockets as another poster mentioned that keep your valuables safe from pickpockets. Check out www.pacsafe.com for other ideas.

My wife and I both purchased the packsafe neck wallets after I was the victim of an attempt pickpocket in Barcelona. While on another trip to Barcelona I was loading our luggage into the trunk of a taxi when I noticed two young men hanging around as I placed the last suitcase into the trunk I felt a slight tug and pulled the pacsafe wallet back in front of me. This all happened in the blink of an eye and I thought the wallet had just shifted as I was moving the luggage. Once inside the taxi I noticed that somehow one of these culprits had managed to undo the flap on top and then unzip and partially remove the money. They got nothing. I swear these guys are like magicians. We have pacsafe backpack, neckwallets, and my wife has one of their purses, however, we now use scottevests with the inside pockets when we are out on the streets.

My wife and I both purchased the packsafe neck wallets after I was the victim of an attempt pickpocket in Barcelona. While on another trip to Barcelona I was loading our luggage into the trunk of a taxi when I noticed two young men hanging around as I placed the last suitcase into the trunk I felt a slight tug and pulled the pacsafe wallet back in front of me. This all happened in the blink of an eye and I thought the wallet had just shifted as I was moving the luggage. Once inside the taxi I noticed that somehow one of these culprits had managed to undo the flap on top and then unzip and partially remove the money. They got nothing. I swear these guys are like magicians. We have pacsafe backpack, neckwallets, and my wife has one of their purses, however, we now use scottevests with the inside pockets when we are out on the streets.

We always wear our Scottevests when traveling. Most secure. All money INSIDE!

A number of years ago I was overseas waiting to cross a street. I felt something move in my back pocket so I reached behind me, grabbed someone's wrist, spun myself around and drilled this person directly in mouth knocking them unconscious. A couple of cops were across the street and raced over and, since I did not speak the language, I thought was going to jail. The started to laugh and actually offered me a ride to my hotel after they retrieved my wallet from the pick pockets hand.

I carry my wallet in my front pocket now.

Another vote for Scottevest. We will never travel without one. And they do have some lighter weight vests that were great in summer. But then DH bought a scottevest jacket where the sleeves and hood come off for all other seasons.

Another vote for Scottevest. We will never travel without one. And they do have some lighter weight vests that were great in summer. But then DH bought a scottevest jacket where the sleeves and hood come off for all other seasons.

We have both. My favorite is still my original one.

Carol, thank you for the info. on http://www.PacSafe.com

I am on their website, can you tell me which purse you use?

There seems to be multiple choices. Thx.

-Dianne

There are pickpockets in most major cities throughout the world. We travel a lot and I use a special pickpocket-proof purse that I purchased from www.PacSafe.com. I have been using it for years. I only take it on vacations. My husband uses a neck pouch, also from PacSafe. When we walk around in crowded cities, and especially around tourist sites where the pickpockets generally congregate, we feel very, very safe and don't worry about them.