Pros and Cons RE: Sailing on the Allure

Pros

===

1. It's a big ship. You will always find a way to avoid the crowded areas.

2. There's plenty to do if want.

3. If you don't want to do anything, you can do that.

4. You can book your entertainment in advance on your RCCL account in advance.

5. If you don't like Windjammer, you can go to Park Café on Deck 8 for some healthier food or the Solarium on Deck 15 (I think) for even healthier food.

6. If you are not a veggie, Beef Sandwiches in Park Café. Enough said.

7. If you are a veggie, the salad in Park Café, enough said.

8. There are no stairs in the Main Dining Room.

9. If you like posh food, Deck 8 is your friend.

10. If you like some quiet time, Deck 8 is your friend.

11. You can use the hot pools (or whatever they are called) on Deck 15 early in the morning or late at night.

12. You can go through check in at around 11am local time and sit in the waiting area until they let you on board at around 12'ish.

13. If you are like me, Ken Rush. Enough said.

14. Captain Johnny. Enough said. (If he is the captain of your sailing, hope he brings out his Harley)

Cons

===

1. There are 2 formal nights.

2. The promenade can get busy at certain points of the day.

3. On day 0, Guest Services is always busy.

4. If the entertainment (e.g. Comedy night or any of the shows), you are not in luck.

5. If you are like me... Allan Brookes, enough said.

6. The Pro photographers are a lot to be desired.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me about the Cruise Directors, but it's a personal thing, so take it as you will. Ken Rush was more visible and personable for me and made an effort to interact with the punters, even if it appeared wooden. Saying that, the pros outweigh the cons.

Edited by novicetraveller

I really cannot find anything wrong with the Allure....................

Oh yea I thought of one.......................................................

They make you leave after your cruise is done:D

Sea Ya

Depending on your feelings some of the pros are cons and visa-versa.

Pros:

- Many places to eat, try the Solarium Bistro, very good, not crowded.

- Many places to get drinks.

- Touchscreens showing you how crowded the food venues are, current events and directions

- Huge Promenade, it does get crowded during some events but its easy to bypass by going down one level and using the track.

- Dedicated running/walking track

- So much room that the crowd really gets spread out

- Central Park

- Plenty of pools

- Sports deck draws a lot of people from the other parts of the ship on sea days.

- Pre-planning/reserving shows (if you like that)

- Entertainment

- Never have to tender

- Plenty of sea days (if you like sea days)

- You can hardly feel the ship move

- Terminal and check-in are fast and smooth

- Ship dock and clears customs early allowing booking of earlier flights home (we did a 10:20AM flight once)

Cons:

- Lots of walking (if you don't like walking)

- Windjammer crowds

- No outside walking deck except for track

- Pre-planning/reserving shows (if you don't like that)

- Too many seas days (if you like ports)

- Time in Nassau is short (Eastern)(if you like Nassau)

- You can hardly feel the ship move

Why is this a con? :rolleyes:

===

Cons

===

1. There are 2 formal nights.

2. The promenade can get busy at certain points of the day.

3. On day 0, Guest Services is always busy.

4. If the entertainment (e.g. Comedy night or any of the shows), you are not in luck.

5. If you are like me... Allan Brookes, enough said.

6. The Pro photographers are a lot to be desired.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me about the Cruise Directors, but it's a personal thing, so take it as you will. Ken Rush was more visible and personable for me and made an effort to interact with the punters, even if it appeared wooden. Saying that, the pros outweigh the cons.

Now for us, one of the pro's was Allan Brooks. When he hosted the Love and Marriage game show on our first cruise, my family and I were all crying with laughter throughout. There are five of us and there is a 3/2 split as to our views on what is funny or not, but because of him, it was one of the onboard highlights for definite. It really does depend on what you want out of a CD.

Why is this a con? ;):D

Cons:

- Time in Nassau is short (Eastern)(if you like Nassau)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Bwahaha! :p

OP, please just go and enjoy your cruise. You have already booked it, right? Nothing will change your mind in these posts that you will cancel, I'm assuming. Personally, I don't pick apart reviews or pros and cons - I just go with a light heart and a grateful attitude. Have fun.

I really cannot find anything wrong with the Allure....................

Oh yea I thought of one.......................................................

They make you leave after your cruise is done:D

Sea Ya

Yep, this is about all I can come up with too! :D Still missing that ship almost 3 months later!

We just got off the Allure on Sunday. Even though there were thousands of people, we never really noticed it. The only time we noticed the amount of people was when we first got there and went through security, other then that, it was great!

I second this. Even on port days, it never seemed busy or crowded considering the amount of pax getting on and off the ship.

I have booked a cruise to sail on the Allure for next year. Pros and Cons for these BIG ships. I am looking forward to sailing on her. Any suggestions I know there will be over 4,000 people. Thanks :)

Sorry over 6,000 people.

I have sailed Allure 3x and Oasis 2x. I have done almost every ship in Royals fleet. You can not go wrong with Allure.

I hear a lot of people say that they either love it or hate it. My best suggestion is to get on board understanding that this is one large floating city. It is not a cruise ship - not in the traditional sense. It is huge- takes a long time to walk from front to back and it has a lot of people. But, other than muster - I never felt that the ship was ridiculously crowded. You learn to understand the rhythm of the people - where and when it could be crowded. The TV does a great job of letting you know when something is really crowded. I love the specialty restaurants and central park. To me - its worth it to not eat the same menu that every other ship has - and truly do something unique and different.

The only room type I had that I hated was Boardwalk. It was like being in an inside mall -

I was nearer to the teen area - and that stays hopping til real late. I found it really loud at times that I wanted quiet. We barely had a view of the water and it was hot, hot on the balcony because there was never any shade. I have never had a central park balcony; but, I would assume that is the same thing.

The other thing I find about the Allure is that the prices really vary - and if you watch the fares- especially late Tuesday into Wednesday around midnight- you may find yourself getting a nice upgrade for minimal to no cost. This has happened on each Allure we have had.

If you have diamond plus status- the lounge is awesome.

The only cons we find is that it is impersonal. You do not build a bond with the cruise director staff or cruise director- its just too big. But, honestly - it is like nothing else Royal offers.

IF you want to do Windjammer - leave that to times when you are in port - its empty.

Never a sea day. The lunch in the specialty dining is a great deal at lunch and on sea days it is your better option.

I am a huge fan of the hot dog place too.

I love Allure ; but I also love a smaller ship.

Its just a totally unique experience.

Cons

===

The above con should have read

4. If the entertainment (e.g. Comedy night or any of the shows) is full, you are not in luck.

I forgot to add a couple of words in my original post. :o

Just off Oasis last week, we loved the ship, but like everyone else, The WJ is too crowded, Sometimes they let us go into Izumi with our breakfast.

Apart from that the ship wasn't crowded,

I doubt Allure is different, We are also thinking of Allure next year, but in the Med.

Oh, also 7 days is waaayyyyyyyy too short and it makes the PCD worse,Maybe time for us to stop booking suites when smaller cabins are sufficient and we could get a B2B.

Enjoy Allure! :)

We did Oasis last year and are sailing on Allure in 17 days :)

I agree with what everyone said. Stay away from the Windjammer (breakfast in MDR every day).

Roast beef at Park Cafe - OMG

Prebook all entertainment. Hairspray on Oasis was amazing. We are both theatre people and loved Hairspray. Last year the stars of the show even did a cabaret show in the Viking Crown Lounge on Friday night. It was great. Hope the stars of Chicago do the same thing on Allure.

Caviar bar @ 5PM in the Champagne lounge. Hope for the same on Allure.

People using the elevators are simply rude. My sister uses a mobility scooter and people just shove right past to get on the elevators. The inner bitch in me comes out during those times (because we don't have the option of using the stairs to go one deck).

Looking for a quiet, cool place during the day - the Viking Crown Lounge was our go-to place.

We did Oasis last year and are sailing on Allure in 17 days :)

I agree with what everyone said. Stay away from the Windjammer (breakfast in MDR every day).

Roast beef at Park Cafe - OMG

Prebook all entertainment. Hairspray on Oasis was amazing. We are both theatre people and loved Hairspray. Last year the stars of the show even did a cabaret show in the Viking Crown Lounge on Friday night. It was great. Hope the stars of Chicago do the same thing on Allure.

Caviar bar @ 5PM in the Champagne lounge. Hope for the same on Allure.

People using the elevators are simply rude. My sister uses a mobility scooter and people just shove right past to get on the elevators. The inner bitch in me comes out during those times (because we don't have the option of using the stairs to go one deck).

Looking for a quiet, cool place during the day - the Viking Crown Lounge was our go-to place.

That issue is not confined to Oasis and Allure.

The ship is an experience....you will hear people (even from me) that like things and other things they disliked....remember most things are subjective.

Go and enjoy yourself.

Yes, you share the ship with over 5,000 other people, but only at some times (parades in the Promenade and at times in WJ) will you notice it.

Most of the time, I came across the same 100 people; those people who enjoyed the same things I did.

We had early dinner seating and did do Izumi on one night of our Allure sailing. Izumi was wonderful and the only specialty restaurant that interested us. Food in MDR, was just fine on other nights -- great wait staff.

I did not like the Solarium nor the Solarium café. The Solarium itself was noisy (to me) with no shaded areas where there were lounge chairs for my DH. Food choices in the Solarium café, were not to my liking. Nothing really interesting that would tempt me.

Shows were very good, and we enjoyed Allan Brooke as our CD and Zach as the Activities Mgr. I guess where we were one of them seemed to be, and made it more fun (for us at least). I spent plenty of time on Flowrider and that is so much fun.

There really is no movement on the ship. It was truly a floating city, without feeling the float. I missed a little ship movement.

We had an inside balcony overlooking Central Park. It was delightful. Where our cabin was located had a blend of shade and sun; we were on deck 11 midship. But no ocean to see from the balcony at all. When we cruise Allure next time (and we will) we will try a Boardwalk balcony, close to the Aqua Theater. It will give us a little view of the ocean....but it will increase our walking to the other side of the ship, but that is OK.

MDR for breakfast was nice, but we did WJ as well....when we were in WJ it was not as crowded as others have complained about....so it depends upon the time you are there.

Lots of food choices and we tried many of them....the hotdogs on Boardwalk are OK, nothing to rave about (IMO); donuts on the boardwalk, were too doughy for me; Roast beef sandwiches at Park Café -- super wonderful; even went back one day for lunch, and had roast beef with potato salad, without the roll (not a big bread eater); We did Johnny Rockets for breakfast and it is great -- their milkshakes are great, and we enjoyed them for an afternoon snack.

Plenty to do, and plenty of places to eat.

You will have fun.