First Time PG Cruiser, 9-27-14 7 Day Tahiti and Society Islands

CruiserFromSC

We are first time cruisers on PG…a 7 day Society Island Cruise in Sep/Oct 14. I have a few questions that I hope some of you repeat cruises can help with.

First let me say how much I have enjoyed reading many of your reviews/comments/blogs. What great and insightful information! :D

My first concern is that we are on the LA flight to PPT and arrive on the evening that we depart. (We scheduled a post-cruise stay but not a pre-cruise stay. I wish I had found your comments earlier and I would probably have done that differently, but, oh well! That ship as sailed, so to speak! :() So here’s my question: we arrive at 8:15 p.m. and board the ship and leave that evening. I have read many times that as soon as you get on the ship, you should make your various dining reservations. Do you think we will be able to get reservations arriving this late? I know that there will be many others on our plane but am worried that we will be unable to visit the reservation only restaurants!

Second question concerns some excursions: We have scheduled the Snorkel and Black Pearl Farm Adventure on Taha’a. However, I have read many comments that a better alternative might be to just visit the Motu where you get the same thing. Any thoughts on this? On Bora Bora, we have scheduled the Lagoonarium, but I have not seen any comments on any of the boards that discuss this. We thought that since it was a Trip Advisor “top thing to do in FP” that we should try it but we don’t see any of you repeaters that have discussed. Worth it or not?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

The ship assures that you will be able to get at least one reservation in both reservation restaurants. If I remember correctly the excursion on Tahaa leaves early and you arrive directly to the motu and will have enough time to enjoy the beach and lunch there. Be sure to take money with you since there are vendors on the motu. Vanilla and pearls plus some pareos if I remember correctly. My daughter loves the Tahitian vanilla purchased there.

Don't stress, I'm certain that you will love the cruise and French Polynesia. We are going back in September for our 7th cruise. We love the PG and haven't found another ship like this one!.

I think you'll be fine! It's just not a high stress competitive environment where everything fills up in 5 minutes! I went ahead and got all my "business" out of the way early, so it wasn't mucking up my relaxation time, ;) but people were booking the alternate restaurants even on the night of. They may not have always got it at that point, but if you aren't fussy about which nights you are where and at what time, they should be able to accommodate you!

We didn't go to the Lagoonarium, but most of the reports I read on it said its worth doing once if it's of interest to you (which may be why they don't mention it again) I did read some reviews where people thought it was pricey, but everything is on the islands! The good thing is you have two days on BB and so you could do it and still have time for something else. :D

Lagoonarium in Bora Bora was great when I visited in 2002. I would save your money and just go to the Motu at Taha'a. It is most of the repeater's favorite stop on the cruise. Most black pearl farm tours aren't worth a ........ The drift snorkel at Taha'a is great and that's worth looking at - everyone should do that at least once.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The ship assures that you will be able to get at least one reservation in both reservation restaurants. If I remember correctly the excursion on Tahaa leaves early and you arrive directly to the motu and will have enough time to enjoy the beach and lunch there. Be sure to take money with you since there are vendors on the motu. Vanilla and pearls plus some pareos if I remember correctly. My daughter loves the Tahitian vanilla purchased there.

Don't stress, I'm certain that you will love the cruise and French Polynesia. We are going back in September for our 7th cruise. We love the PG and haven't found another ship like this one!.

Thank you, Cruisedreamer1. That's what I was hoping...that we could do both! :)

I think you'll be fine! It's just not a high stress competitive environment where everything fills up in 5 minutes! I went ahead and got all my "business" out of the way early, so it wasn't mucking up my relaxation time, ;) but people were booking the alternate restaurants even on the night of. They may not have always got it at that point, but if you aren't fussy about which nights you are where and at what time, they should be able to accommodate you!

We didn't go to the Lagoonarium, but most of the reports I read on it said its worth doing once if it's of interest to you (which may be why they don't mention it again) I did read some reviews where people thought it was pricey, but everything is on the islands! The good thing is you have two days on BB and so you could do it and still have time for something else. :D

Thank you, Family. Were you able to book your reservations before boarding? I didn't think that you could but that would make things much easier if possible. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed the in-depth post of your cruise. I also forwarded the link to the couple we are traveling with. You answered many questions that we had but didn't know where to go to get the answers. So helpful! :D

Lagoonarium in Bora Bora was great when I visited in 2002. I would save your money and just go to the Motu at Taha'a. It is most of the repeater's favorite stop on the cruise. Most black pearl farm tours aren't worth a ........ The drift snorkel at Taha'a is great and that's worth looking at - everyone should do that at least once.

Thanks, Twin. We may take your advice and skip the black pearl farm or, since it's our first trip to FP, we might do both. What is a drift snorkel? :confused:

Across from Le Taha'a resort there is an area where you just push off and the current takes you for a ride. It's shallow but a lot of fun. If you want to snorkel do it on Bora Bora, plenty of choices of tour operators and great snorkeling! I don't want to tell you not to visit a pearl farm BUT......

You can watch the same demos on you tube and buy better and cheaper Pearls at many places on your trip.

Across from Le Taha'a resort there is an area where you just push off and the current takes you for a ride. It's shallow but a lot of fun. If you want to snorkel do it on Bora Bora, plenty of choices of tour operators and great snorkeling! I don't want to tell you not to visit a pearl farm BUT......

You can watch the same demos on you tube and buy better and cheaper Pearls at many places on your trip.

Thanks, Twin. I think we might have to reconsider the pearl farm. Thanks for saving me some dollars. :D

New Question: I know it's touristy, but is it worth going to Bloody Mary's while in Bora Bora? :confused:

And we are doing a post cruise stay on Moorea and are looking for a special restaurant to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary? Any thoughts?

Ok now everyone HAS to go to Bloody Mary's once. Everyone tells me dinner is great. What I will tell you is that LUNCH when I went was mediocre and the Bloody Mary according to my wife just wasn't that good. The ambience was great. If you want a special dinner and your ship has an overnight stop or is there late go to La Villa Mahana - best meals I have ever had anywhere in the world! Reservations have to be made months in advance usually.

On Moorea I would recommend Restaurant Te Honu Iti, also called Chez Roger. The food was great was the ambience here was also great. All the better restaurants will pick you up at your hotel.

Ok now everyone HAS to go to Bloody Mary's once. Everyone tells me dinner is great. What I will tell you is that LUNCH when I went was mediocre and the Bloody Mary according to my wife just wasn't that good. The ambience was great. If you want a special dinner and your ship has an overnight stop or is there late go to La Villa Mahana - best meals I have ever had anywhere in the world! Reservations have to be made months in advance usually.

On Moorea I would recommend Restaurant Te Honu Iti, also called Chez Roger. The food was great was the ambience here was also great. All the better restaurants will pick you up at your hotel.

Thanks again, Twin. Both recommendations sound fantastic!

Thank you, Family. Were you able to book your reservations before boarding? I didn't think that you could but that would make things much easier if possible. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed the in-depth post of your cruise. I also forwarded the link to the couple we are traveling with. You answered many questions that we had but didn't know where to go to get the answers. So helpful! :D

Aww, thanks! That's why I write it all down...to help the next one up (wish it was me;) )

No, we had to book the reservations once on board- you can call, or you can go to the Buffet at the pool deck where the maitre D has the "book" and book them all at once. I recommended doing a few little housekeeping chores as soon as you board - getting your snorkel gear, checking on or booking your excursions, and booking your dining reservations. But the recommendation is just so you can get the business out of the way and enjoy the rest of the cruise, not because they run out of snorkels or you can't get a reservation- really it's fine if you do it a bit later.

Don't stall on checking your excursions though (and these CAN be booked ahead) because we found that the excursions desk is NOT proactive and if things have changed or not worked out they way you want, you won't know in time to book something else, so be proactive, and go down and keep asking till you get your answer. Don't rely on that department to "work" properly (unless by some miracle it's changed, but I think it's a long term relationship that's not going to be changed anytime soon)

Just a contrarian piece of information on the Lagoonarium. I have not done it. And I know people love it. But...according to a marine biologist on the island, these are captive animals, and live rather short lives. This is what I've been told.

I've enjoyed several times the excursion that is now called "Stingray Ballet", although it sounds like the excursion has changed a bit. Despite the warning about deep water, whenever we've done it, you've been able to stand in the water, no more than chest-deep.