Premium Wine List

Cruisedreamer1

I was checking the pricing on some of the listed wines I have tried and like here in California and thought some of the mark up was not so bad for the wines I recognized. I checked Bev & More and Total Wines for pricing. On the 2 wines I checked the difference between retail and their restaurant pricing was $25.

That stated, we never purchase from their upscale list. We just taste what is offered and then continue with what we like.

Life is too short to waste your calories on wine you don't like!

There are a few really good values on the list.

Arriviste, Napa Valley, Oakville is only $5 over SRP

Magnificat and Nickel & Nickel are $15 over SRP

The Lynch-Bages wasn't a great vintage to begin with, and I've had a couple bottles of that vintage recently and it's seen better days. The average price on it retail these days is under $100. $250 is a lot of money for a wine that's just OK. I'd avoid that one.

The Sassicaia is marked up about 200% over retail, pretty typical for a restaurant or cruise. The biggest issue is that it's an infant and just not going to be drinking well right now. I'd avoid only as it needs another 6-10 years before it's really ready to drink.

I had the Cakebread Savignon Blanc last trip and liked it very much. It was bought for the table so I lucked out. I would not spend $47 for it. The free wines are good enough for me. The Kaiken Malbec I enjoy most nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I had the Cakebread Savignon Blanc last trip and liked it very much. It was bought for the table so I lucked out. I would not spend $47 for it. The free wines are good enough for me. The Kaiken Malbec I enjoy most nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Dont like the Kaiken Malbec. But there are some nice ones. Did a wine tour of Mendoza a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the better Mendoza wines are sold in the European and not the Canadian market.

Well I was just curious. At my current rate of one glass of wine a day at most, the issue is moot, unless we're buying for the table (and we do have an OBC to take care of!) I've usually had no problem with their pouring wines--are they still decent?

I think they are down from Regent days.

However, Regent is also down!

Well I was just curious. At my current rate of one glass of wine a day at most, the issue is moot, unless we're buying for the table (and we do have an OBC to take care of!) I've usually had no problem with their pouring wines--are they still decent?

The only one we found to be drinkable was the Chianti. The others we tried were more along the lines of what you might find for free in economy on an airline. And don't get me wrong, by drinkable I am. It saying it was good. Bearable would be a better choice of words.

Edited by ducklite

They seemed to more or less change by the day during our cruise.

Yes, I think that would be normal, or at least was in the past. There'd be a featured "pour", and several alternatives. But if you liked a particular one, they could keep supplying it. Assume that's how it would still work, but just wondering.