Gluten Sensitivity and Eating in European Ports

Quilting_Cruiser

I am not allergic to gluten but I do have a pretty intense gluten sensitivity. If I eat anything with gluten in it, I get severe intestinal cramps and associated symptoms. I'm very careful so, fortunately, that doesn't happen often! One of the chefs at work told me that many people from the U.S. who are gluten sensitive can eat gluten products that were harvested and milled in Europe, including herself. Since she told me this, I've been trying to research it and have read many reports of others experiencing the same thing. Since I'll be on an Adriatic cruise in October, I was curious if I'll be able to eat "like regular people" when I'm in port. I wouldn't try it on a cruise ship because I recently learned many of them import much of their food from the U.S. even while sailing in Europe.

We tried an experiment last night--I was able to find pasta made in and imported from Italy and we had spaghetti made with wheat pasta for the first time in a year! It was delicious! Neither my daughter (also gluten-sensitive) nor I experienced any ill effects from eating it. I'm SO happy and dreaming of crusty European bread and pizza!

So, what are your experiences eating gluten products in European ports? I'm hoping I'll be able to enjoy some "regular" food in the ports without being worried about gluten issues. :o:o

Thanks!

Wow...there is a great story in this months Readers Digest about your gluten and sensitivity. It may not be gluten that is bothering you....the story gives a whole list of other foods that cause the same symptoms! It states a lot of folks who are not celiac's, are really sensitive to some other foods....you should check it out!

Wow...there is a great story in this months Readers Digest about your gluten and sensitivity. It may not be gluten that is bothering you....the story gives a whole list of other foods that cause the same symptoms! It states a lot of folks who are not celiac's, are really sensitive to some other foods....you should check it out!

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll take a look. :D Do you know the title of the article?