Alcohol Question

Ok, I have an interest in bringing my own alcohol. I understand the rules but nonetheless I dont plan on spending a ton of money on liquor on board.

Is bringing alcohol in your luggage a big no-no? Will it be confiscated by security?

I noted if I buy liquor in the duty free shop I have to wait until the end of the cruise, or a pay a "consumption fee".

Sincerely,

Young, cheap and curious

icon_smile.gif Just interested,

why did you choose this type of holiday when you know the rules. Why didn't you book an all inclusive ,then you can drink all you want .

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;26;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

<marquee behaviour=alternate>till we sail Brilliance of the Seas Greek Isles etc

</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;10;5;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

<marquee behaviour=alternate>till we sail Brilliance of the Seas Venice etc

</marquee>

sarah.gif

Sovereign 96,Grandeur 97,

Grandeur 98 twice,

Enchantment 99 twice,

Voyager 00 twice,

Explorer 01 twice,

Millennium 01,

Explorer 02 thrice,

Brilliance 03 twice,

Navigator 03 twice,

Brilliance 5/04,

Brilliance 10/04,

dog-wagger.gif

A dog is not just for Christmas, it's for life

Young,cheap, and curious---just put it in your checked luggage. I now it's frowned upon but we usually put a 18 pack of beer and a bottle or 2 in a separate suitcase. We drive so we don't have to worry about flying with it. Then we have an empty suitcase for the return trip, it actually comes in handy becuase you always end up with more stuff on the return trip. Just be sure to package it well so it doesn't break or leak. If you are flying and will have some time between your flight and embarcation-you might want to wait and purchase once you land. Knock on wood, we've never had anything leak, break, or bust yet!

I wouldn't give it a second thought, we've all been young, cheap and curious at one point!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Mariner of the Seas

Thanks for understanding Aqusis!

I am not so worried about it then. We are not packing beer, but a little rum for our soda, not a big deal. Maybe a bottle of wine to boot. We are driving, not flying so that makes it easy.

I want to bring my own alcohol since the drinks on board may be weak. I dont mind paying for alcohol but a weak drink chaps my hide!

Sarah - The all inclusive thing sounds cool but that will be our next trip, first timer here.

PhoenixCruiser - Thanks for your post, I think.

bigmac:

Tip the bartender nicely with the first drink, and you can be VERY sure your drinks will be good and strong all cruise long.

Please remember: when you pack a bottle in your luggage, you endanger not only your own clothes in case of a sudden explosion or slow leak. Bags are packed onto those carts very high, creating a lot of weight. Your suitcases may not be manhandled by the airlines if you drive, but they WILL be manhandled at the pier. If you must do this, wrap them ten times as thoroughly as you think is really necessary. If MY clothes end up with YOUR booze on them, *I* will be enraged!

JMHO - your mileage may vary.

Carol

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;8;8;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-500

Voyager of the Seas - 5-day to Canada - NO AIRFARE!!!! 8/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;12;26;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-500

Jewel of the Seas 12/2004

Explorer of the Seas 12/2003

Explorer of the Seas 8/2002

<marquee>till we sail on the Jewel! New Year's Cruise.....12/26/04</marquee>

<marquee>..........................Oh, no! We have become New Year's Cruise Addicts!</marquee>

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

I am not young, may be a little cheap (don't think so) but routinely take a fifth of gin and a bottle of scotch or bourbon in my checked luggage. CAREFULLY wrapped. Use it only in my suite. Only you and your companions would know and your room steward would, I think, never rat on you. Don't worry.

I do buy drinks in bars and the dining room.

Don't feel cheap about it at all, but did not grow rich by throwing money away.

Gene in Birmingham

Also, wrap your bottles carefully in bubble wrap AND something like a heavy duty garbage bag to keep it from leaking on your clothes and others' clothes icon_smile.gif

Navigator of the Seas 5/1/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;1;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Here's a suggestion.... We transport our liquor in empty water bottles. WE usually buy the big 32oz Aquafina bottles because they are a thicker plastic. Cap them tightly and double bag them in large ziplocks. Never had a problem yet.

Atom.gifGroup board for the Royal Hounds 9/19/04

For pricing and booking info click:Royal Hounds

Miracle 2/13/05, Royal Hounds 9/19/04, Conquestadors 1/11/04,

Glory Hounds 9/13/03, Triumph 1/03, Fascination 5/02

royalsmallwide.gif

If lifes a beach... then I want to cruise there!

For pricing and booking info click:Royal Hounds

bubble wrap and zip locks, never leave home without them...

Monarch of the Seas 09/92

Majesty of the Seas 11/93

Sovereign of the Seas 09/94

Majesty of the Seas 11/95

Grandeur of the Seas 11/99

Grandeur of the Seas 11/00

Grandeur of the Seas 06/01

Grandeur of the Seas 02/02

Navigator of the Seas 12/02

Rhapsody of the Seas 06/03

Radiance of the Seas 11/03

Grandeur of the Seas 05/04

Navigator of the Seas 11/04

It still cost me less to buy on-board and pay a consumption fee for liquor then it does to buy liquor at one of our lovely Washington State run liquor stores and added Washington "sin" taxes. I bought a $32 of Absolut for $9.95 plus a $9.00 consumption fee on my last cruise. As for wine, I can definitely do that cheaper bringing my own. A $12 bottle here will go for $28 on the ship.

Vicki

Check out my guide for first time cruisers http://www.vsn.org/cruise

Radiance 6/2002

Radiance 10/2002

Brilliance 11/2003

[/b]

LEGEND OF THE SEAS - September 26, 2004

Visit our Roll Call HERE

Cruise Europe 2005 (CC Group Cruise)- June 5, 2005 on the Brilliance

Visit our Roll Call HERE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gene624:

Don't feel cheap about it at all, but did not grow rich by throwing money away.

Gene in Birmingham<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow, Rich and Cheap...what an interesting combination!! icon_biggrin.gif

I hope you open a restaurant in Birmingham someday. I'll carry in a pizza, order tons of ice water and explain to you that I don't feel like throwing any money away! What do you think? icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

You aren't being cheap, you are normal. Get a plastic flask, like I'm sure you have for football games or at least know where to get them and put it in your suitcase. I have also physically carried on wine bottles in a suitcase and all they said was we're gonna go to your cabin for the party. They don't care. The baggage people get paid to move bags, not inspect what's in them. But like someone else said, make sure you pack it securely because it would really make someone angry if your bottle spilled on their clothes.

Archived