Airline suggestions from east coast to Amsterdam needed

NC Fred

We are a group of 12 doing the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise on Emerald Waterways next July. I have begun researching air fares and it seems everything is around $1700 rt. We will be returning from Prague and that may increase the price. I have looked at ATL, PHL, IAD, JFK. Anyone have and suggestion on possibly getting the fare down?

We are a group of 12 doing the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise on Emerald Waterways next July. I have begun researching air fares and it seems everything is around $1700 rt. We will be returning from Prague and that may increase the price. I have looked at ATL, PHL, IAD, JFK. Anyone have and suggestion on possibly getting the fare down?

Have you looked into having Emerald book your plane?

Have you looked into a travel agent for such a large group?

Have you looked into travelocity, seat guru, expedia, etc.? and finally

Have you called the airline and asked for a group rate?

I usually fly with Lufthansa and will be flying into Amsterdam and home from Bern.....I also fly business class and the fares are very high. You might do better to wait a little while. Also there are some low cost carriers, I haven't used any of them and I don't know anything about them except they exist. Seriously, I think if I were you, I would pay a visit to a TA and see what they can do for you.

Give this site a try to get prices on different airlines then book directly or try the suggestions above.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm?session=3b81b352-b833-425d-8f71-a16c2df25a16

You are pretty far out for booking and keep in mind that if you book so far in advance there is a good chance that the airline will revise their schedules. This could be anything from minor changes to ones that really cause headaches. It doesn't hurt to start watching fares however. Good luck.

I have done all four things you mention. I must have been on 10 -15 different travel web sites including all the European discount carriers. It is amazing how cheaply you can get from point to point in Europe. The problem is getting to Europe. Big $$

I tried the matrix site. Their fares are much higher than I found going directly to the carrier. Example was Icelandair. I found $540 one way to AMS and matrix was $1170

Agree, the flights usually change. We are going in early and leaving several days after the cruise so a slight change should be of no impact.

Thanks so much for the reply.

I'm doing the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise next May and my flight to Budapest includes a stop in Amsterdam

JAX -> DTW -> AMS -> BUD Jacksonville, Fla to Detroit to Amsterdam to Budapest

I'm flying on Delta and Detroit is a major hub for them

On way back going from AMS(Amsterdam) to Atlanta to Jacksonville

Hope this helps

I have done all four things you mention. I must have been on 10 -15 different travel web sites including all the European discount carriers. It is amazing how cheaply you can get from point to point in Europe. The problem is getting to Europe. Big $$

What was the result of asking the airlines for a group rate? I am planning to do this for a family trip we're planning next year and would like to know your experience.

You are booking an open jaw ticket: USA city-AMS, PRG-USA city.

Step one: start researching fares on matrix itasoftware.

Step two: never search for 12 tickets. Start with searching for one ticket, then work your way up. Reason - the way fare buckets are structured, if (for example) only four of the lowest fare bucket seats are available and you input a higher number, ALL of the requested tickets will be priced at the higher level.

Questions to ponder -- must all of you be on the same flights? Are you acting as the ticketing agent for the whole group? The harsh reality is that the pricing for each of 12 tickets on the same flight may be different.

Suggestion: ask this question on the Cruise Air forum. You will get realistic, savvy responses from very frequent flyers who understand how the system really works.

Step two: never search for 12 tickets. Start with searching for one ticket, then work your way up. Reason - the way fare buckets are structured, if (for example) only four of the lowest fare bucket seats are available and you input a higher number, ALL of the requested tickets will be priced at the higher level.

Questions to ponder -- must all of you be on the same flights? Are you acting as the ticketing agent for the whole group? The harsh reality is that the pricing for each of 12 tickets on the same flight may be different.

Suggestion: ask this question on the Cruise Air forum. You will get realistic, savvy responses from very frequent flyers who understand how the system really works.

I didn't think open jaw still made a difference since everyone sells their tickets one-way these days. I thought the days of saving when you purchased a round trip ticket disappeared when the cheap airlines came about. Good advice....

OP has already tried the matrix ita site as I gave that link several posts up. Apparently, it didn't work out as fares were higher than some found on airline sites. The suggestion to not search for all 12 tickets at once Is a good one as is posting on the Cruise Air board. So far none of the various suggestions above have resulted in success.

I didn't think open jaw still made a difference since everyone sells their tickets one-way these days. I thought the days of saving when you purchased a round trip ticket disappeared when the cheap airlines came about. Good advice....

Maybe when you travel within the USA or Europe, yes. But transatlantic and other long distance flights are still cheaper when booking roundtrip or open jaw tickets.

Have you tried Air Canada? I just booked them from NY to Vancouver and they were cheaper than everyone else. I know you're looking for Europe, and I have no idea what their European scheduling is like, other than you have to get to Montreal or Toronto first, but it's worth a shot.

I have looked at pretty much every carrier with routes to Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Brussels, Stockholm and London. Thinking, if I find a bargain to Europe, a train to Amsterdam might work. I tried using FF miles to no avail. Also, the Air France strike is causing some scheduling issues for the other carriers. I was told to wait until the strike is over before trying to secure any FF seats. Admittedly, getting a 30K seat to Europe is a long shot.

When you have to drive a distance ( or fly) to a gateway airport, the costs mount. Maybe the $1700 rt to AMS and returning from PRG is the best to be had. At least I can leave from and return to a nearby airport.

Don't know where you are from but if you are from NC, have you checked the American RDU to London flight? We love that flight. Easy going out and very easy coming home since it is the only international flight at RDU and customs is a breeze! We are doing Amsterdam to Basel next May and are flying RDU to London and London to Amsterdam on BA. Return is Basel-London and London to RDU. There's also a good flight to London out of Charlotte on US Air to become American. Just a thought in case you are from NC. I hate having to go to NY or DC or Atlanta. Good luck!

Yes, our entire group is from coastal NC. RDU less than three hours away. Checked AA out of RDU, but wehn you add in the connecting flights is gets way high.

Thanks for the input.

If you checked AA out of RDU why are you paying for connecting flights? Won't they book you from RDU straight through to Europe?

Edited by Hydrokitty

I guess I should have said code share partners. The issue seems to be getting from PRG back to east coast. On the RDU AA search it was via a Finair connection and the trip was 32 + hours!! It was still about $1700 total, even with that lengthy return.

We flew lufthansa tron NY to Prague through Frankfort. For the kind of pricing you're getting see what LH will charge from Prague to DC or Atlanta or even JFK....then see if you can get jetblue or one if the economy airlines to get you to RDU....could that work?

I don't have time right now to read all your responses and it was not clear where you live so I apologize if this has already been said. But we just returned 3 week ago from a river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam and extra days in London. We flew non-stop from RDU to London on AA and then British Airways on to Budapest. Coming back we had a short flight from Amsterdam to London on British Aiways and another non-stop from London to RDU on AA. Have a great trip!

Several people have suggested that you turn this problem over to a good travel agent and I agree. Just because there are many booking sites, including those of the airlines, doesn't mean that self-booking is always the best way to go, especially for international flights where the rules and fares can be complex.

For international flights, I will usually ask my travel agent to find something unless it is a simple point to point return trip. Sometimes my agent will tell me to book it myself and save the agency fee. But often, she will find flights and fares that I would not have been able to find or access. This includes "net" or "consolidator" fares usually available only through a travel agency. If you are sure of your plans and dates, then these can provide substantial savings.

It could certainly be worth the small fee which an agent will charge you.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

One issue with a travel agency is the discount airlines in Europe ( like South west and Spirit here) do not participate with TA's

We are in coastal NC so RDU was one of the airports I included in the research.

Currently considering a rt into and out of AMS and the overnight train from PRG to AMS. Overnight train eliminates a hotel stay and allows for making departure in AMS back to US Train is less than flight.