Vision of the Seas vs. Norwegian Spirit

RavennaM

Hi guys, I am having really hard time choosing between two cruises; Spirit to Morocco and Madeira on March 2015 and Vision Med cruise on April 2015. I would be grateful for all of your help and opinions. Which on would you choose and why? Any other comments? I have done lots of research, but both cruises seems to have equally pros and cons. Decisions, decisions.... :)

Hi guys, I am having really hard time choosing between two cruises; Spirit to Morocco and Madeira on March 2015 and Vision Med cruise on April 2015. I would be grateful for all of your help and opinions. Which on would you choose and why? Any other comments? I have done lots of research, but both cruises seems to have equally pros and cons. Decisions, decisions.... :)

Definitely not NCL, simply because it's NCL with very questionable service and standards in my opinion and experience.

Got with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity or Disney every time :)

Definitely not NCL, simply because it's NCL with very questionable service and standards in my opinion and experience.

Got with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity or Disney every time :)

Thanks, I have only cruised with X and Royal before. Spirits price and itinerary is just really tempting. But maybe it is better to stick with something you know is going to be amazing!

Thanks, I have only cruised with X and Royal before. Spirits price and itinerary is just really tempting. But maybe it is better to stick with something you know is going to be amazing!

I've only been with NCL once on Jade and the ship was very small and not too clean, the food was not good and the service very poor.

One example, in the buffet the salad 'person' had blue gloves on and filled the lettuce by picking it up with gloved hands, with the same gloves she wiped a spill on the floor using a dirty wet 'rag', she then emptied the trash and then filled more salad items with the same gloves on her hands. This was just one thing.

I am not picky and can accept a lot of things a 'que sera sera', but I could list you a dozen of these types of incidents on that one NCL cruise. No more NCL waste of money for me.

However many people obviously have great cruises on NCL so it's kinda hard isn't it ?!?!?!?

I think you will be hard pressed to find folks liking NCL on this board. I would also post your question on the NCL board. Just for the record I have sailed on 5 NCL cruises including the Spirit and never encountered a problem. I would sail them again if I found an itinerary I liked that RCI did not do.

I think you will be hard pressed to find folks liking NCL on this board. I would also post your question on the NCL board. Just for the record I have sailed on 5 NCL cruises including the Spirit and never encountered a problem. I would sail them again if I found an itinerary I liked that RCI did not do.

Yep, I have already discussed this on the NCL forum. And of course everyone said that Spirit is amazing and beautiful ship. I have always been tempted to try NCL because they have really good deals here in Finland. But I always end up booking Royal or X because I am afraid I would be just disappointed to NCL after X and Royal.

Variety is the spice of life.

We love exploring different cruise lines as you can see from our history. Have not had a bad cruise yet. NCL is in our plans, already looking at itineraries and ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You definitely have a point! I just have to dare to take the first step...

You definitely have a point! I just have to dare to take the first step...

Despite what I said I think you need to take the first step like I did (even though my experience wasn't great) as it may be really good for you and you might NCL as much as your regular lines :)

(And if not at least you can rule them out!)

Win win either way :)

• 2 weeks later...

We have not sailed a lot but have struggled with the RCL and NCL comparisons. We love both lines and having sailed the larger Getaway, we prefer the "smaller" ships. Although none of them are that small in our experience. I have no experience with the two ships you mentioned but can offer a RCL/NCL comparison of two other similar sized ships.

Last year we sailed Norwegian Sun and compared that to Grandeur of the Seas. We absolutely loved Grandeur and although the Sun appeared a little more industrial, it too was a beautiful and well maintained ship. We did like the look and feel of Grandeur a little more. Service wise however, the Sun was heads above and having now sailed the Getaway we love NCL's staff. In addition, NCL is the only line we have seen that has a welcome back party at the dock with each port - a nice touch.

In February we were comparing two cruises with the same itinearies - Norwegian Sun and Vision of the Seas (sister ship to Grandeur). We chose Vision just because it was a new ship for us. We would be perfectly happy with either line.

I have only been on 9 cruises, most of those with RCI, but my last one was with NCL and I can tell you that I will be booking with them again soon. I have some cruises booked already with RCI, but I think I am going to cancel one and move that booking to NCL. I loved NCL. I also love RCI, but to me, both lines have their pros and cons, or maybe I should say ALL lines have their pros and cons. At this point, with RCI and NCL, no way could I put one over the other for my preference. (again, only been on NCL once, so I do realize that needs to be considered... but I have also been on Disney and Carnival, and honestly for some ships, I wouldn't put them above RCI either.) I pretty much will sail any line/ship that I liked the itin on. (it is funny, not only on this board, but I find cruise critic in general that folks adore RCI to the point of being mean if you favor a line over them, I find it gets a little weird actually!) I say pick the itin you prefer, make sure you will be OK with what the ship offers, and that you are comfortable with what you can get for the price point you are willing to pay, and from there you just can't go wrong. It is a cruise!! Enjoy!

Hi guys, I am having really hard time choosing between two cruises; Spirit to Morocco and Madeira on March 2015 and Vision Med cruise on April 2015. I would be grateful for all of your help and opinions. Which on would you choose and why? Any other comments? I have done lots of research, but both cruises seems to have equally pros and cons. Decisions, decisions....

I've sailed both the NCL Sky and Pearl... I wish to ask what are the two itineraries? Imo you're sailing the Canary Islands and these Med ports not for the ship, but for the ports. Pick the best itinerary.

Having said that, I found the sitelines from the pool deck and even top deck to absolutely horrible on NCL. Also NCL has very high glass around it's railing that you cannot see through when dirty or foggy/morning dew. I put a huge weight on this criteria being able to go up top deck and view the sail-in and sail-away with almost a 360 degree view, as you would on Vision Class.

This is what you are facing as you sail into Morocco, or Madeira, or anywhere else on an NCL ship (Note how high everyone had to get their cameras just to even get a glimpse over the glass to view the Golden Gate Bridge). Note the glass all around the pool deck area... and if you are pool deck all you see looking forward is not a view at all but the very high glass of the suites that block everything. I personally hated the design of these ships.

1e7da664-3711-4809-abfa-640f387549fc_zps846b8e46.jpg

Pearlverytopdeck_zps5fd6f5a1.jpg

Pearlpooldeck_zps27d83643.jpg

Here's a random shot of the very first Vision pic I came across in all my files.... a rainy afternoon in Miami on Vision. This is what you face top deck when you sail-in or sail-away on a Vision Class ship... note the open railings and the full view in all directions other then the front mast area directly at 12 o'clock

VC5_zpsc368fa60.jpg

And here's Rhapsody sailing out of Seattle, again beautiful view in all directions

RhapsodySeattle1_zps1faf2ee7.jpg

And here's the very front of the ship. This RCL worker is about 5'6" so the glass in only about 4'6" high to break the wind.... no way I could have had the incredible pictures and videos on any NCL ship as you can on a RCL ship when sailing in or sailing away. Follow my Serenade review in my signature below and you'll see plenty of photos at various ports (Venice coming up in the next day) where I stand at the very front top deck with just incredible memorable photos and video.

RhapsodyfrontinSeattle_zps41d489d1.jpg

Hope this helps you if the above is important to your and your vacationing. Whatever you choose, have an awesome cruise!

• 4 months later...

Which did you end up deciding on? We're looking at a September med cruise. 12 nights. Royal and Norwegian with these identical ships. One includes Venice and the other doesn't. (Some differnt ports, but that's the major difference) it's hard to pick one. Any help would be great

Which did you end up deciding on? We're looking at a September med cruise. 12 nights. Royal and Norwegian with these identical ships. One includes Venice and the other doesn't. (Some differnt ports, but that's the major difference) it's hard to pick one. Any help would be great

I did book Vision. But basically the decision was based on the timing, nothing to do with the ship. I did a lot of researching about both of those ships and I think they are both amazing. If I were you I would choose the itinerary which is more interesting.

I my opinion you made a good choice. No knock against NCL. We were on the Dawn and it was the best trip I have had. The ship is nice and the choice of restaurants, lounges, etc. is enjoyable. Booked the Spirit next. That was my worst trip yet. Ship was ill maintained and generally filthy. Never had a problem with Royal.

I have been on Vision 2 times prior to her refurbishment and 3 times after and I find the ship itself to be in great condition. I think you will thoroughly enjoy your sailing with Vision.

The comments about the NCL Spirit being in poor condition do not correspond with my opinion. I was onboard her just after sailing on their new Getaway last January and found Spirit to be an incredible 'traditional' cruise ship with a great connection to the sea. While I did not like the design of the theater just above the main dining room, otherwise the huge windows facing aft in the dining room, the observatory around the forward lounge and the tiered outdoor dining on their buffet restaurant made this a great experience for me.

I was on Spirit disembarking in Barcelona right before she was refurbished just a year ago. She will be leaving the Med after next season and will be deployed to the Caribbean from 2016.

I am a big fan of specialty dining and the choice was excellent on both Vision and Spirit. They are both not ships for those that are really needing all the big ship facilities, but for any traditional cruise passenger are both excellent choices.

• 3 years later...
I have only been on 9 cruises, most of those with RCI, but my last one was with NCL and I can tell you that I will be booking with them again soon. I have some cruises booked already with RCI, but I think I am going to cancel one and move that booking to NCL. I loved NCL. I also love RCI, but to me, both lines have their pros and cons, or maybe I should say ALL lines have their pros and cons. At this point, with RCI and NCL, no way could I put one over the other for my preference. (again, only been on NCL once, so I do realize that needs to be considered... but I have also been on Disney and Carnival, and honestly for some ships, I wouldn't put them above RCI either.) I pretty much will sail any line/ship that I liked the itin on. (it is funny, not only on this board, but I find cruise critic in general that folks adore RCI to the point of being mean if you favor a line over them, I find it gets a little weird actually!) I say pick the itin you prefer, make sure you will be OK with what the ship offers, and that you are comfortable with what you can get for the price point you are willing to pay, and from there you just can't go wrong. It is a cruise!! Enjoy!

I know you wrote this reply a few years ago, but it has been helpful to me in trying to decide between RCL and Norwegian. There's people that rave about each, and complainers that I have read about Norwegian is what scared me from trying them. I think your point about there are pros and cons for each is good to remember. The itinerary and perks is what has steered me to try Norwegian, but I let the complainers get in my head and then have doubts. Really, more complainers seem to take time to post than those that have had a good experience.