Please answer

ricthemic

Right I know how it is spread .. but let's say someone gets onboard..and a few days later shows signs.. and doesn't get help that exact day.. and the room attendant for sure handles all those things.. ie urine.. by wiping down toilet that can easily happen.. washing down sink-saliva. all sorts of ways he comes in contact ..and then comes and cleans our room. I am not sure what type of disinfectant they use.. or if they wash their hands from room to room..

Right I know how it is spread .. but let's say someone gets onboard..and a few days later shows signs.. and doesn't get help that exact day.. and the room attendant for sure handles all those things.. ie urine.. by wiping down toilet that can easily happen.. washing down sink-saliva. all sorts of ways he comes in contact ..and then comes and cleans our room. I am not sure what type of disinfectant they use.. or if they wash their hands from room to room..

OK this is a sincere comment, not a snarky one.

We all have to make decisions on what risks we take at any given time. From the mundane, getting in our car and driving across town, to decisions relating to possibilities of health risks. IMHO if the current status of the Ebola threat would make one fearful of flying on a plane, going on a cruise, etc. then maybe it would be best to not do those things at this time. Vacations/holidays should not be stressful, fearful times.

Having said that, I think we all know the driving across town is the biggest risk, but obviously in most areas of the US it is something we have to do, unless we never leave home.

OK this is a sincere comment, not a snarky one.

We all have to make decisions on what risks we take at any given time. From the mundane, getting in our car and driving across town, to decisions relating to possibilities of health risks. IMHO if the current status of the Ebola threat would make one fearful of flying on a plane, going on a cruise, etc. then maybe it would be best to not do those things at this time. Vacations/holidays should not be stressful, fearful times.

Having said that, I think we all know the driving across town is the biggest risk, but obviously in most areas of the US it is something we have to do, unless we never leave home.

I respectfully agree! Aside from pirates, there are very few dangers one can encounter on a cruise ship, that aren't already just a plane ride away from our front door! I feel safer (well, at least as safe) on a cruise ship than I do at home! :cool:

I accept what the experts say about how ebola is spread but I do worry about possible mutation which could make for a very different circumstance. Some of these viruses are very smart and slight mutations can make huge differences.

That said, unless something radically dangerous develops, ebola virus would not be a reason I would stop cruising. I wouldn't travel to places of epidemic, of course, but I surely would visit Caribbean and Europe..... UNLESS something changes.

I can't help but be a little worried about cruising now.. If Ebola ever hit a cruise ship what would happen?

I worry far more about terrorism and cruise ships than Ebola virus.

I look at Port Everglades from my hotel window when waiting to board a ship and there are times it looks like a cruise ship parking lot. :eek: That sometimes makes me think a bit until I shake it off and get moving to go ahead to board.

Living is a risk; getting out of bed in the morning is a risk.

I believe stewards wear gloves when performing those chores, and certainly they would if the ship were sailing in an area where it was a threat. They don't want to get sick any more than you do! Some cruise lines operate in Code Orange for the first few days of a cruise to prevent the spread of noro, in case someone has brought it onboard. Cruise lines would do the same with ebola. EM

All the employees also go through a full physical before they start each contract (our waiter mentioned that his turned up diabetes, which he was treating). He said they do a full top-to-toe including blood work.

But, like any of us, crew members can be exposed to germs and viruses on and off the ship. We see buckets of disinfectants, gloves, sharps containers, tongs and bio-waste bags routinely. I'll continue to believe that they take reasonable precautions when cleaning the kitchens, staterooms and public spaces -- to protect us AND them.