Review of Carnival Inspiration Ensenada cruise Oct 24-27th with pics!

yamsi12

This was the second cruise my wife and I have taken on Carnival. Our first was in August 2012 aboard Carnival Splendor where I proposed to her, so needless to say we were looking forward to this cruise even though it was just a 3 day cruise this time. I warned her in advance that she wasn't getting any diamonds this time though.

We did purchase FTTF. We decided if we were going to spend only 3 days onboard we wanted to get on as soon as possible. We were allowed to board the ship around noon on Friday.

Carnival Inspiration at the terminal in Long Beach.

030_zps5dfc00ad.jpg

we went straight to our cabin. Ocean view room U-118 on the port side which was ready when we got there.

037_zpsbb2645c6.jpg

031_zps25ac94f8.jpg

we brought some mixers as you can see since we ordered a bottle of Skyy vodka for the room (most of which I drank btw).

032_zpsd270fcba.jpg

One of the things I found interesting about the room was that it did not have a climate control on the wall. You had to physically open or close the a/c vent if you wanted to adjust the temperature in the room. Not a problem for me but I could see a short person possibly having issues.

184_zps51a2cbdd.jpg

bathroom was small but adequate for a 3 day cruise. Im a big guy at 6'11 so I had to squat down a tad but nothing that wasn't unbearable.

450_zps23513a6c.jpg

451_zps94acbbc2.jpg

453_zps17da213a.jpg

This is my beautiful wife after we boarded before everyone else and the ship was pretty much empty. We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day for a departure.

044_zps45b49617.jpg

funnels of yesterday & today....

050_zps14d17926.jpg

I worked on the Queen Mary from 1999-2002 and Im a huge oceanliner buff, so I love taking pictures of her. Its a nice treat to be able to board a cruise ship and be right next to a ship with so much history and such graceful lines.

061_zps58bc552a.jpg

love the curving of the bow in this shot.

110_zps011c2968.jpg

funnels....fake ones that long beach put on after she arrived, but still pretty none the less.

048_zpse1c9d0ab.jpg

Took some more pics of the Lido deck and serenity area on the stern.

053_zpsff2de04e.jpg

055_zps9c5fa4c2.jpg

064_zps8a43e492.jpg

Miniature golf/running track forward on the ship

039_zpsea741bdc.jpg

Departing Long beach you don't realize how busy a port it is until you're up close. Tankers and container ships everywhere.

161_zps33c05861.jpg

We were supposed to call at Ensenada the next day, but about 4 hours after departing Long Beach we had to return for a medical emergency. Instead of sunday being our fun day at sea it was Saturday (which was fine by us) and we stopped at Ensenada on sunday. There really isn't much there anyways. The Golden Princess was in port with us sunday. For the record on the sea day the slowest speed I saw the ship making was 1.3 knots (!!!). Literally felt like we weren't moving at all.

I bought a new camera a few weeks ago. Its not a DSLR but its a nice sized point and shoot Canon SX700 HS. Has a 30x optical is amazing considering the size of the camera. Here is the Golden Princess without zoom...

321_zps06f6b5fa.jpg

and with 30x optical zoom....

326_zps56062912.jpg

Inspiration with my wife docked at Ensenada...

334_zpsfe593358.jpg

In Ensenada we walked around the shops, had some good Mexican food and beer and went back to the ship. Some pics of the sunset from the ship...

282_zps46342b4f.jpg

278_zps8290a47a.jpg

414_zpsfc5d61e6.jpg

The lido deck at night

300_zps3987cce4.jpg

Nightly turndown service was as usual a nice treat to come back to...

180_zps100e9641.jpg

on the last night we went to the "Love & Marriage Show" in the paris Lounge. Some people by that point were pretty much done....

423_zps32645baa.jpg

The cruise director was Jeff Bronson. We liked him. Was very friendly and didn't seem too over the top. Also was very brief when making announcements over the PA system.

427_zpscd4e27c9.jpg

My wife and I had a great time, even though its a short cruise. Only had a problem once with people being loud in the room next to us, and that was on the last day in the afternoon not at night. Had great servers in the MDR, food was great, shows good and got a good nights sleep every night. I was a little worried about being on an 18 year old ship, but it was always clean and well kept. We would have liked to have done the ships 4 day itinerary which includes Catalina Island but my wifes schedule wouldnt accommodate that. We have a cruise booked out of Miami in April onboard the Carnival Splendor in the same ocean suite that I proposed to her in...its still 174 looong days away but it gives us something to look forward too.

• 2 months later...

Inspiration will always hold a special place for me, since it took 4 sailings on her in 2013 ALONE to make Platinum...LOL!

Loved the sleeping couple in the Paris lounge...hilarious!

Nice review...will look for your review of the Splendor later on...I'll be on her in May from NY to SJ....cannot wait! :)

Great pics, we're doin Imagination from Long Bch to Catalina/Ensenada in less than 2 weeks. I'm puzzled by your pic of the Queen Mary off Inspiration's jogging track. It would appear the Inspiration dwarfs the QM but when I looked up her stats she's 82K ton compared to the Fantasy class 70K. Was the Inspiration really bigger than the QM or is the pic deceptive?

Great pics, we're doin Imagination from Long Bch to Catalina/Ensenada in less than 2 weeks. I'm puzzled by your pic of the Queen Mary off Inspiration's jogging track. It would appear the Inspiration dwarfs the QM but when I looked up her stats she's 82K ton compared to the Fantasy class 70K. Was the Inspiration really bigger than the QM or is the pic deceptive?

Inspiration is taller than the QM. From the Lido deck you look a bit down at her.

Differences in construction. Can see from end to end in the Inspiration passenger cabin hallways. The QM's hallways dip so much that you cannot see from one end to another.

on the last night we went to the "Love & Marriage Show" in the paris Lounge. Some people by that point were pretty much done....

423_zps32645baa.jpg

That photo is such a riot!!! Pretty much depicts how we feel after a full fun day, kudos for capturing that....lol!!!:D:D

Thanks so much for your photo-review. I always enjoyed photo-review rather than just a review, am visual that way! We are sailing Inspiration on Jan. 16th for a 3-day adventure. This will be our 4th cruise with Carnival. Am glad to hear (& see) that Inspiration is well kept for an 18 yr. old ship. Also, THANK YOU so much for sharing the info on the climate control in the cabin....we would probably go bonkers looking for it if it weren't for your review, LOL!! That was invaluable info:p

It's good to hear you had a great time even if it was just for 3 days....looking forward to your photo-review of the Splendor, which btw, congrats on getting the same cabin for your April cruise....it will be here before you know!!;)

• 3 months later...

Great review! Since I am from Baltimore, I have never been on a West-Coast cruise. Well, some of my family just moved to LA and I really would like to visit, but I have been waiting until I can tack on a cruise to the visit. I'm thinking fly in Thursday, do this Friday-Monday with my family, Stay / Tour LA with Family from Monday-Saturday, and then do the Miracle 7 night solo! I liked the review, thanks so much for sharing! :D

Quick question: Are there any beaches in Ensenada, or any water-type activities? Thank you!

Where did you eat in Ensenada?

This is a pretty old thread, but if you are looking for some good eats, I have a few favorites that I will share.

For some good old fashioned tacos, my favorite is Taquerias Mexico Lindo. It is 2 doors down from Pappas and Beer on Av Ruiz, 200' from Av Adolfo Lopez Mateos (the main tourist street). Great pescado (deep fried) or al pastor. It is my usual hangout - and close to P&B for the after party... For seafood tostadas, La guerrerense is pretty amazing. Absolutely fresh, but it is not your typical shrimp and pescado, but rather ceviche, urchin, and other such cooked and/or raw seafood. Do not be put off by the long lines or the fact that it is a cart...:) it is usually found on Alvarado near Mateos (a very short walk from the docks)

For sit down dining with something other than tacos, we really like Birrieria La Guadalajara. It is on Macheros about a half block inland from Lopez Mateos. Amazing food, but it is predominantly Birrieria. However, we also like El Meson De Don Fernando for a much more upscale dinner place. Best molcajetes we have ever had. Not cheap, but very good. It is also located on Lopez Mateos almost on the corner of Alvarado (short walk from the docks).

All of these places are close to shopping, bars, etc. all are on or near Lopez Mateos, and all are on Trip Advisor.

As always, your mileage may vary, but these happen to be our go to places.

Bob

• 1 month later...
Great review! Since I am from Baltimore, I have never been on a West-Coast cruise. Well, some of my family just moved to LA and I really would like to visit, but I have been waiting until I can tack on a cruise to the visit. I'm thinking fly in Thursday, do this Friday-Monday with my family, Stay / Tour LA with Family from Monday-Saturday, and then do the Miracle 7 night solo! I liked the review, thanks so much for sharing! :D

Quick question: Are there any beaches in Ensenada, or any water-type activities? Thank you!

I took a surfing lesson at a really nice beach in Ensenada. I don't know if there are other water-type activities, but the surfing was FUN!!