Snacks, etc

Nevets58

Hello, I wish all that's reading are having a great nice. The sun has set up over the last mountain in the distance and we're getting colder. I just finished 6 months of chemotherapy and my brother is taking me on a cruise for 4 days. Since my Cancer diagnosis I eat a lot of specially baked cookies, packed high in iron. Multiple Myeloma is a blood Cancer that attacks the bones and ribs. Point is I have some other foods that take me through the day and, first I'm not talking about drugs, just real snacks.

Can anyone please chime in and tell me what is allowed or not on the ship?

Thanks and Love from Asheville

We are permitted to bring most foods aboard the ship but cannot remove most foods in the majority of ports. Seeing you mentioned drugs, it's good you aren't planning to bring (illegal) drugs as that could get you deep trouble.

Hope you are feeling better each day.

Are you planning on doing any of the easy type of excursions? If so, and knowing nothing of your stamina, I'd look into getting some of the factory sealed snacks, such as those peanut butter/cheese crackers, to take off the ship for snacking. I remember reading on here that those can be taken off the ship, where fresh fruit or sandwiches made up on board cannot be taken ashore.

Edited by Treven

For most ports (Australia doesn't allow any foods, whether sealed or not, from what I've read), you can take factory-sealed snacks out into the port. So if you plan to get off the ship in any port (you can stay onboard, though, at least until the last morning), you might want to look for some sealed snacks, such as protein bars that have the nutrients you are looking for.

Some people will bring on favorite snacks to keep in their cabins for in-between or late night munchies. As long as they don't contain illegal substances, it shouldn't be a problem. Some ships do have food available 24/7 (most Princess ships have an open eatery -- really just a few display cases -- called the International Cafe that's on Plaza deck; and has a variety of goodies and light meals both day and night. No delivery, but it's worth making a trip for).

Have a great time!

Hello, I wish all that's reading are having a great nice. The sun has set up over the last mountain in the distance and we're getting colder. I just finished 6 months of chemotherapy and my brother is taking me on a cruise for 4 days. Since my Cancer diagnosis I eat a lot of specially baked cookies, packed high in iron. Multiple Myeloma is a blood Cancer that attacks the bones and ribs. Point is I have some other foods that take me through the day and, first I'm not talking about drugs, just real snacks.

Can anyone please chime in and tell me what is allowed or not on the ship?

Thanks and Love from Asheville

nearly everything factory sealed is permitted. homemade stuff will NOT be allowed off the ship in any port but can be brought on board at embarkation

As everyone else has said you should be fine. But know that every cruiseline has a special request dietary department that if you inquire with them will send you written confirmation that you may bring on any medically necessary food items. Good to have in the remote possibility someone questions you at embarkation.

And if you are still in the process of choosing your cruise, I will point out that NCL has the reputation of being extremely picky with food brought on at embarkation; I've seen reports of them denying a birthday cake even when the box was sealed shut by the bakery. (NCL is also the only line I know with a rule against bringing fresh flowers onboard, though some posters on their board claim to have been successful).

Count me as one of those who had no issues bringing fresh flowers onboard an NCL ship to brighten up my cabin (I travel with s collapsible vase for just this). Bought a nice of Gerbera Daisies in Vancouver. They were in my hand as I boarded - not one look or comment from the crew.

For your snacks, again, depending on your embarkation and ports, I'd get some of those sealed energy bars and the "handful" bags of almonds. If you are nearby a Trader Joes' they have those handful bags of almonds and other things. My favorite energy bars are those by ProBar. It's a Utah company and has a nice variety of sizes and flavors. You can buy on their website. They have their nutritional info on the site for each bar...

Edited by slidergirl