Progreso Ruins

mrsgilomonster

Uxmal and Chichen Itza are world class, iconic sites. The problem is that they are a 90 minute drive (Uxmal) and 2 hour drive (Chichen Itza) from Progreso. About half your shore time will be spent on the bus.

Dzibilchaltun on the other hand is a 15 minute cab ride away. The ruins are not as big, but are interesting. There is nice small museum on site (may be closed on Mondays) plus an open air cenote to swim in. Changing facilities are in the visitor center. When we were there earlier this year a nice young couple were trying to start a restaurant in the visitors center. Hopefully it is still open otherwise there is no food available. There are some shops with snacks, drinks and handicrafts. The only problem with Dzibilchaltun is transportation. There are some excursions, but I would suggest hiring a cab, paying him to wait for the two hours or so you will be at the ruins and returning you to Progreso. It is hard to get a cab for a return if you are just dropped at Dzibilchaltun. If you go to DZ, I would also suggest hiring a guide. They are available at the entrance after you pay your admission and are well worth the cost.

Uxmal is fantastic! We enjoyed it tremendously and thought it well worth our time to see it.

You might be interested in seeing the slide show my wife made for her website with some of her pictures. I'll insert a link below that will take you right there.

Uxmal Shore Excursion

Happy cruising!

• 1 month later...