Just One Of Those Weeks

Griller

We started out full of hope that our eastbound crossing on QM2 was going to be smooth sailing, and as far as the sea conditions it pretty much was, a little bit choppy in the middle, light snow once or twice but QM2 is a very stable ship and rode it well.

The first night we arrived at the Britannia dining room on Deck 3 level and "Derek" the door guy looked me up and down and didn't like my jacket, which was a fairly nondescript plain blue one, and the shoes I had travelled 1000 miles in that day. He then proceeded to lecture me about other nights acceptable attire and timekeeping -it had just gone 6.15pm - so we left and went to the buffet.

After a long journey we were not in any mood for an undeserved dressing down or an argument.

The Kings Court buffet was crowded and noisy and we had to clear a table of dirty plates etc to find somewhere to sit, and went to get our dinners.

That was when we noticed the flies buzzing around the hot food service area, quite a few and not little fruit flies either but a larger variety. They were there the whole cruise.

Anyway we ate and went to our cabin for an early night.

That was when we turned the shower on and got the brown water.It did clear after several minutes and was intermittent the whole cruise. And the shower drain only overflowed once, putting dirty water with black mold all over the bathroom floor. we threw towels down and left it for the steward.

There were discolored wet patches on the rug all along deck 5, and drips from the ceilings with buckets underneath.

Ah yes, the Stewards........... their pantry was right next door to 5045 and they slammed the pantry door frequently and loudly from when they turned up for work early in the morning until they left for the night.

They also slammed the passengers cabin doors as they left after cleaning etc, Deck 5 is not a quiet place at all.

So next morning I went down to deck 2 passenger Services to request a statement to check that my OBC had arrived. Well some of it had but I was still $400 short, and the free gratuities had not materialised either. Sadly I had neglected to bring printouts with me so it was a trip to the Internet place to download them and print them out in order to take them back to Passenger Services. So I did that and it was quiet for 2 days and then Katie called and left a phone message - unfortunately they couldn't find any trace in their records of what I had in writing.So no more OBC or gratuities. End of Story as far as she was concerned.

So we went down to the desk again and took off the gratuities, saying we would restore them when we got it sorted out. Well we never did get it sorted out, except for some reason $100 turned up out of the $400 OBC we should have got.

Ah yes, the Britannia Dining Room, table 202, we never did get the waiters names, no doubt they introduced themselves the first night when we got a hard time at the door, they were willing enough but a bit random, we didn't always get what we ordered. And it wasn't hot, except on one day when the plates and food was hot, after we complained. But the heat didn't last, after that the food temperature slipped back to being lukewarm at best, on cold plates. Even today we complained to someone other than the waiters about the main course being cold, then the pudding came with supposedly hot custard sauce and neither the pudding custard nor plate was more than vaguely warm.

We didn't have any more dress code problems, being somewhat snappy dressers and generally wearing ties and jackets even when not actually stipulated.

Then of course the 3 Cocktail parties in the Queens Room - if you prefer to drink red wine you have a hard time, only 1 glass of red wine per bar waiters tray - and lots of folk like the red - so it took 20 minutes for both of us to get a glass, and we did not get a refill the first nights party. We were a bit more clued up by the Gold, etc party and got 2 eventually, and by the Platinum and Diamond party we switched to Rum and Coke and ordered from multiple waiters and had 4 each, bit weak but still 4 drinkable drinks.

Getting to the end of the cruise now and we had been going to Trivia Quizzes, mostly held in the Pub, which was far too small for the numbers attending. Declan was one host, good guy, friendly and funny,unfortunately the female hostess Louise seemed to get easily confused and had some sort of slight speech impediment which really rendered her not suited for the job. Louise was hard to understand and also had a rather unpleasant manner and tended to threaten any passenger who queried some of the rather inaccurate or ambiguous questions/answers she had. Not us by the way, we just gave up going by halfway through the cruise.

Bar service in the Pub was slow, just too many people there.

Back to our shipboard account - I tried to book another cruise on QE onboard but my debit card wouldn't work YoYo said. I thought it was strange as there was 20 times as much in the account as was required - so off to the Internet room to ask my bank some hard questions, and it turned out by their answer and viewing my account online that QM2 had tried debiting my card small amounts over the previous day - like 62 cents - and the bank suspected fraud and stopped my card. And won't do anything about it by email, only phone back to Fl.

The strange thing is that my shipboard account has always been in credit and QM2 did not need to debit my card, let alone for small amounts, and in fact they still deny doing it even though I have shown them the statement printed out.

So now I have no debit card working. Great.

During the week I submitted a 2 page 11 item complaint - and received a letter back saying they hoped I was enjoying the cruise.

Well its been all right as cruises go but they have not addressed a single problem I listed.

Typical Cunard?

Edited by Griller

You're an awfully good sport for writing such a matter of fact review after enduring what sounds like a complete nightmare. Last winter I took the 'behind the scenes tour' and when in the control room during the 'questions and answers' portion of the visit someone asked the on duty engineer what the weakest link in the ship's systems was and the reply came back "the wastewater treatment system". Your experience seems to confirm this. I hope in the end you get some sort of satisfaction from the company. Even token gestures can go a long way in smoothing ruffled feathers.

Griller, I seem to remember that you on sail on ships when you get a bargain. I can't remember the per diem rate you were willing to pay, nor can I find that particular post at this time.

My guestion is, did you get what you paid for? Apparently, your presence was no added bonus to the crew - you know, those who load and off load luggage in addition to their other duties at no additional pay, and no chance of tips from skin-flints. Asking them to be delicate when loading luggage onto the elevator? Take that the management.

Griller, I seem to remember that you on sail on ships when you get a bargain. I can't remember the per diem rate you were willing to pay, nor can I find that particular post at this time.

My guestion is, did you get what you paid for? Apparently, your presence was no added bonus to the crew - you know, those who load and off load luggage in addition to their other duties at no additional pay, and no chance of tips from skin-flints. Asking them to be delicate when loading luggage onto the elevator? Take that the management.

....and calling someone a skinflint because they look for bargains is the height of etiquette?

I did carry my own luggage on and off as it happens, and I know I paid about 50% more than many other passengers who booked an interior room, I booked a day too early and just accepted that I had paid $799 plus taxes for an interior and a day later I could have paid $599 plus taxes for a balcony under promotion PE7.

That's the way it goes and I do think that whatever you pay you should get the OBC promised, decent clean running water, no insect pests in food areas and hot meals.

My cabin steward did a good job and benefitted accordingly.

....and calling someone a skinflint because they look for bargains is the height of etiquette?

That is not what I wrote. What I wrote was "...you know, those who load and off load luggage in addition to their other duties at no additional pay, and no chance of tips from skin-flints." I didn't call anyone in particular a skin-flint, nor did I say that those who look for bargains are skin-flints - but I do think that people who remove the auto-charge and don't tip are skin-flints. However, it would be bad etiquette to call an individual by name a skin-flint, and I would certainly not do that - not that I have any way of knowing who they are :)

More to the point of the discussion, having some empathy for the crew working long hours - especially on turn-around days, is helpful in understanding why luggage might not be handled as delicately as possible - but again, that's just my personal opinion.

As regard to looking for a bargain; absolutely nothing wrong with that! But I have noticed an increasing number of complaints about food, service, condition of the ship, etc. And yet the fares are sometimes amazing low while passenger's expectations remain high. I love a bargain as much anyone, but these really cheap fares have me concerned because simply economics tells me that profits will be maintained one way or another.

Please feel free to disagree with me - I won't consider it bad etiquette :D

I think the increase in complaints about food service and condition of the ship is for the simple reason that they are actually worse than before. I hadn't been on QM2 for several years and noticed a difference this week.

After 46 cruises on Princess I don't think I have ever had a hot meal served cold, on NCL yes frequently which is why I don't sail NCL anymore.

Forgot to mention that my friends balcony this week on QM2 was rusted so severely that the metal was flapping loose, that's not good.

I saw some guys fixing a water leak this morning on deck 5 and they had the ceiling panels out, they were replacing 15mm copper pipe which looked corroded, but the larger about 4 inch pipe I could see had flat thin metal wrapped around it here and there and secured with worm drive clips - Jubilee clips if you are a Brit - and was still seeping and dripping.

Of course QM2 is getting older but was looking shabby externally this morning in the sun, needs some paint apart from anything else.

A breakdown in Mid-Atlantic could be the end of the road for the ship, maybe not sinking, but would totally destroy passenger confidence, a pity as she is so stable for the crossing.

Edited by Griller

That is not what I wrote. What I wrote was "...you know, those who load and off load luggage in addition to their other duties at no additional pay, and no chance of tips from skin-flints." I didn't call anyone in particular a skin-flint, nor did I say that those who look for bargains are skin-flints - but I do think that people who remove the auto-charge and don't tip are skin-flints. However, it would be bad etiquette to call an individual by name a skin-flint, and I would certainly not do that - not that I have any way of knowing who they are :)

More to the point of the discussion, having some empathy for the crew working long hours - especially on turn-around days, is helpful in understanding why luggage might not be handled as delicately as possible - but again, that's just my personal opinion.

As regard to looking for a bargain; absolutely nothing wrong with that! But I have noticed an increasing number of complaints about food, service, condition of the ship, etc. And yet the fares are sometimes amazing low while passenger's expectations remain high. I love a bargain as much anyone, but these really cheap fares have me concerned because simply economics tells me that profits will be maintained one way or another.

Please feel free to disagree with me - I won't consider it bad etiquette :D

I agree, and I think I must have Mis-read your comment.

I don't specifically agree with auto-tips as I think you should just tip if you are happy.

I appreciate it is optional and I did leave it on for my first cruise and will again for my forthcoming one, however I think a little bit more transparency should be given.

I agree, and I think I must have Mis-read your comment.

I don't specifically agree with auto-tips as I think you should just tip if you are happy.

I appreciate it is optional and I did leave it on for my first cruise and will again for my forthcoming one, however I think a little bit more transparency should be given.

I agree with you that more transparency should be given regarding the auto-tip. It might not be the best system, but right now it's the only one in place.

Enjoy your forthcoming cruise :) -S.

You might have intended to "take care" of him but he would have to hand whatever money you gave him in to be added to the auto-tip pool to be divided.

Not really my fault Cunard did not give me the included gratuities they promised in writing on my booking.

And at least my cabin steward knew he was appreciated and won't get any reproaches from his supervisor.

Not really my fault Cunard did not give me the included gratuities they promised in writing on my booking.

And at least my cabin steward knew he was appreciated and won't get any reproaches from his supervisor.

I wasn't blaming you but rather pointing out how your protest failed. The fact that you didn't get something is really neither here nor there and isn't a reason to punish the crew. Perhaps it would have helped to bring along the documentation or have it resent to you.

I wasn't blaming you but rather pointing out how your protest failed. The fact that you didn't get something is really neither here nor there and isn't a reason to punish the crew. Perhaps it would have helped to bring along the documentation or have it resent to you.

I spent internet time onboard, as I mentioned in my OP, and the odd 50c and printed it out and gave it to Passenger Services on board but they said it did not show in their records like that so I wouldn't be getting it.

I do normally bring printouts of everything but didn't do it this time.

I am used to failure when it comes to dealing with multi national large companies.

I spent internet time onboard, as I mentioned in my OP, and the odd 50c and printed it out and gave it to Passenger Services on board but they said it did not show in their records like that so I wouldn't be getting it.

I do normally bring printouts of everything but didn't do it this time.

I am used to failure when it comes to dealing with multi national large companies.

As I said, that is neither here nor there. You punished the crew for someone's failure.

- I tried to book another cruise on QE onboard /QUOTE]

Sucker for punishment what?

David.

I wondered the same thing. Four years ago, a similar complaint was made.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1309412&highlight=griller

I have no doubt that what Griller reported was based on his experience. Others have reported similar problems. But perhaps worth mentioning is that the OP has stated a dedicated focus on seeking the cheapest fares. Just my opinion, but booking only at the cheapest fares should not lead to higher expectations.

To be more direct, bottom rate prices will get you what you paid for. Unfortunately, it also impacts those who didn't get a fire sale (I'm talking about rates under 100USD per diem, per person, double occupancy, which seems to be the new draw). So pay up or shut up <- I mean that in the nicest way possible. -S.

As I said, that is neither here nor there. You punished the crew for someone's failure.

I cannot agree with this. The company, not the customer, chooses the business model of paying its staff very little, and then relying on providing such fabulous service that the customer tops up that inadequate pay with tip.

That's fine - it keep the costs down, and most importantly, gives an incentive to everyone to work hard.

However the company cannot in turn provide a poor service, and then expect the customer to tip as well, even though it failed.

It is no different from your ordering something from Amazon and it never arriving because they didn't bother to pick the order. They use self employed drivers who don't get paid unless they work. Would you still pay for delivery? Why not? It's not the driver's fault.

I cannot agree with this. The company, not the customer, chooses the business model of paying its staff very little, and then relying on providing such fabulous service that the customer tops up that inadequate pay with tip.

That's fine - it keep the costs down, and most importantly, gives an incentive to everyone to work hard.

However the company cannot in turn provide a poor service, and then expect the customer to tip as well, even though it failed.

It is no different from your ordering something from Amazon and it never arriving because they didn't bother to pick the order. They use self employed drivers who don't get paid unless they work. Would you still pay for delivery? Why not? It's not the driver's fault.

Please excuse me, but are you advocating that passengers remove the Hotel & Dining Charge [a/k/a auto tip]? I really could not decipher what it is that you are recommending. Thanks, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Please excuse me, but are you advocating that passengers remove the Hotel & Dining Charge [a/k/a auto tip]? I really could not decipher what it is that you are recommending. Thanks, -S.

I think the voluntary element of the price you pay should reflect the entire service. So, if one element as let you down badly, such that you do not feel hat any additional payment is justified, then yes, remove the auto -tip.

I hadnt appreciated that cash tips are also thrown into the general pot - having learnt that, then I'm more firmly of the view I set out above.

I think the voluntary element of the price you pay should reflect the entire service. So, if one element as let you down badly, such that you do not feel hat any additional payment is justified, then yes, remove the auto -tip.

I hadnt appreciated that cash tips are also thrown into the general pot - having learnt that, then I'm more firmly of the view I set out above.

Including the hotel & dining charge in the fare paid for each passengers also appeals to me (if that is what you are saying?). Unfortunately, as the system stands now, removing the auto tip effects the income of several crew members, not just the "one element" that might have let you down.

Just to mention, that not all cash tips are thrown into a general pot. My understanding is that if passengers leave the auto charge in place, any additional gratuities is for that individual crew member. Although I believe cabin stewards share their tips those crew members who provide them with good service, such as prompt linen service, back-up response when off duty, laundry delivery, etc. That's been the unspoken tradition on ships for many years.