Roll on Cooler

direfun2000

NO, this isn't a "help me smuggle alcohol on board" thread, I am already gonna do that!

I am going to purchase one of those collapsable(sp?) coolers that has wheels from Walmart, large enough for a case of beer and 2 or 3 bottles of wine. Will it be easy to wheel onto the ship as a carry on?:D Or better yet, more beer and no wine, since I don't drink it;)

Or give it to a porter, explain that it is fragile and hope for the best?

Sorry, you will not like my answer to this post, but it is people taking 'coolers' on a cruise that end up making it hard on all of us. Enough pasengers do that and poof, no more anything allowed on board. Just not something that should be taken on a cruise, IMHO! It is a cruise, not a picnic!

To me, if you have to take a cooler full of drinks with you on a ship, then you really can't afford to cruise.

Ok - the only time I've seen this was in a long line of folks waiting to get on board a Carnival ship in NYC. I have never seen anyone with a cooler of anything on Princess (17 cruises).

Actually, you don't need the cooler - you will have a refrigerator in your room.

I agree with the comment about the mini-fridges. If you're going to smuggle booze aboard, why not bring it aboard in a regular piece of rolling luggage, and then pop it in the fridge when you get there? It'll be cold by the time you finish exploring the ship.

I never said anyone was poor or wealthy, only that this sort of practice is what ends up ruining it for everyone as the more that do it, the faster they cut everyone off from doing it. Cruising is not cheap, everyone will agree to that I think. But treating it like a tailgate party is also something that very few are interested in on a ship.

Sorry, you will not like my answer to this post, but it is people taking 'coolers' on a cruise that end up making it hard on all of us. Enough pasengers do that and poof, no more anything allowed on board.

I'm confused... if Princess ALLOWS wine and champaign to be brought on board, why would the "vessel" make a difference?

Is it the sight of a cooler that many of you don't like?

The d*** thing looks EXACTLY like the suitcases that almost everyone of you roll down the aisle whilst on an airplane. The only difference it that it is lined to prevent leakage. It isn't one of those plastic trailer park blue&white contraptions that parents roll behind them while yelling at their nasty kids.

I say go for it!

I don't particularly care either way, but if it looks exactly like a roll-on suitcase, then why even ask if you can bring it on board? Isn't it obviously ok? Maybe I missed something.

I don't think the OP was asking if he/she is ALLOWED to bring it on board.

To answer the OP's question... I definitely would NOT give it to the porters!! I'd carry it (or "roll" it) on, if I were you!!

The d*** thing looks EXACTLY like the suitcases that almost everyone of you roll down the aisle whilst on an airplane. The only difference it that it is lined to prevent leakage. It isn't one of those plastic trailer park blue&white contraptions that parents roll behind them while yelling at their nasty kids.

Looks "EXACTLY" like luggage?

I want one! Where did you get it?

To answer your question, sure, it's not a problem to roll on a small piece of luggage. And no, it's not going to be a problem when it goes through the x-ray machine either. Probably. How strict the rules are enforced is at the discretion of who is in charge of embarkation on any given day. Still I've yet to hear of problems handling it carefully as you seem to intend to do.

I think the "makes it tough on the rest of us" notion is directed at those who are blatantly obvious about it. You'll be fine.

Just promise you won't wear jeans in the dining room, let your diapered toddler in the pool or advise someone not to buy travel insurance

We have use ours--and tagged it for the porters to carry water and a small amount of soda. As most of us know--running up and down the stairs for another drink never really happens; however, nice to have one to go up on deck with!!!

Man, you should see what I bring on board with me. If I am leaving from my home port of Vancouver, I take (3) 1 litre bottles of water, (2) 1 litre of gingerale and various other soft drinks. Now I can enjoy my trip on board and maybe purchase a fridge magnet.

and the follow up to :

No kids...no jeans....no etc...

Archived