Vision OTS - Micro-mini review

artypharty

After reading numerous mixed reviews about the Vision, I decided to write about our experiences. Previously, we had our worst on board experience on the Splendour. This trip rates at the top of on board experiences for us. We love the big girls, but find something warm and inviting about the little sisters.

We are in our early sixties and very active and maybe a little "off kilter"😜. I did fly upside down on the zip line in Roatan after all, but I digress.

This was the Western, 7 day itinerary leaving Tampa for Roatan, Belieze, Costa Maya and Cozumel, sailing on February 7.

We live 3 hours from the port but chose to drive to Tampa a day early. We can't go to Tampa without having a meal at the Columbia... It's just not possible. As usual, we were not disappointed.

Our usual overnight hotels were either not available or over priced. Forced into a hotel search, I came up with Le Meredian. It is the former Federal Court House in downtown Tampa. The remodel was completed this last summer and they could not have done a better job. I don't anticipate ever staying anywhere else in Tampa again. It was superb, from decor, dedication to maintaining historical signifance and service. So far, this trip was starting splendidly!

Embarkation could not have been faster or easier. We were on board by 11:10 :eek: While getting a bite to eat in the Windjammer, we were approached by 2 friendly and informative officers. Each spent some time talking to us about the ship, RCI and our itinerary. WHAT??

We usually book anything from balcony cabins to GS. We tried a panoramic ocean view cabin because the price was more than right. It had a floor to ceiling and wall to wall window. Standing in the window was like standing on a balcony except there was no wind in your hair, no sea breeze to smell, and after a day, a slightly blurred view due to salt on the window. Upon reflection, it

was not so much like a balcony after all. :rolleyes: We would book it again though, if the price was right. It was a decent size (191sf), had the usual micro bathroom with the "beam me up Scotty" shower and storage was a bit of an issue. It had a refrigerator, which our friends in a regular OV did not have.

Our luggage had not arrived by 4:30 so our steward went off to find it for us. .. And did. Again, WHAT???

To a person, the staff was the friendliest we have encountered. I have to make special shout outs to our Schooner bartender Samuel, our Steward-Julien, Jeun-activities staff, Maritza-guest services and Roque - our MDR waiter. The Captain was both available and always cheerful. ... His singing was not bad either!

The ports were new to us (other than Cozumel). We had tours in both Roatan (Bodden tours) Belieze (private taxi). We were cruising with another couple and did all our tours together except in Cozumel. If you have never ventured "out" of port, you really should. We had a great time in Roatan and a wonderful local meal in a restaurant with no name. After touring Roatan and Belieze you certainly come back with a new outlook on life.

In Costa Maya we got a local taxi (cheaper and faster than the tram provided by RCI) to Mahuhual. It's a little seaside street with shops, restaurants and beach massagers. The shop keepers are diligent and constant. The massagers ( I hesitate to say Massage Therapists for which you need an actual licenses) were everywhere. We had a nice, relaxed lunch with a beer or two, at a table on the beach under coconut palms. Can't be anything wrong with that! We waded through the massagers and had an easy taxi ride ($2/pp) back to port (5 minutes) where we checked out the souvenir shops. Did I say there were a lot of massagers?

I'm a bit of an archaeology nut so we chose to brave the hour tender ride and two and a half hour bus ride ... Each way! To Chichen Itza. We only had an hour to explore the site but I was glad to have experienced it.

Leaving the ship was unfortunately very easy. I'd have liked to have been delayed a day or two but NOOOOOOOO it had to go fast and easy. 😄

We loved the Vision and her crew and can't wait to get back on her.

Vicki

We also enjoy the Vision class. We've had similar experiences on Enchantment and Grandeur and look forward to Vision in Nov. Thanks for the mini-review. What hotels do you usually stay in? We're booked at the Embassy Suites Convention Center. Also, if you parked there, how is parking at the port? I understand they use the chip coin. Does that work the way I think? You pull in, use a credit card, it issues a coin that you use to exit with? It appears the port parking garage is also the shopping parking garage, is that right?

We also enjoy the Vision class. We've had similar experiences on Enchantment and Grandeur and look forward to Vision in Nov. Thanks for the mini-review. What hotels do you usually stay in?

we usually stay in the Marriott's - Waterside or Courtyard.

We're booked at the Embassy Suites Convention Center. Also, if you parked there, how is parking at the port?

Parking is relatively easy, but we use off site parking. Almost in walking distance is Park4Cruise. It's half the price of the on site parking. If you use them, make sure you know pick up points for both piers RCI uses. We left from one and returned at another.

I understand they use the chip coin. Does that work the way I think? You pull in, use a credit card, it issues a coin that you use to exit with? It appears the port parking garage is also the shopping parking garage, is that right?

Yes, the parking garage appears to be the same one used for Channelside.

I see you are from Virginia, I grew up in Alexandria. Have a great trip!

And, one more thing! I totally forgot... Kelly, the featured piano player in the Schooner bar is THE best we have ever encountered. He got in character each night and did Michael Jackson, Beatles, Elton John and Jimmy Buffet. You name a song and he can play it. Love, loved him! Guess where we were every night?!?!

• 4 months later...