Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old August 10th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How important are photos to you

i'v seen some gallerys of other cruises and photos dont seem to be that important to them. I love taking photos and a good photo is my pride and joy.

How important is this to you...?
Holland America Noordam Rome to Mediterranean - 7/17/12 (honeymoon)

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Not all-important but I care about my photos. We bought too many on our first cruise and toned it down the next. We take pretty good shots ourselves and put them in a leather-bound album that I buy on the ship. So far I have a Carnival album and a Princess album, plus a couple of family cruise photos on the wall. I hope to get many more! I don't do scrapbooking, but some folks love that. For me that's over the top. But we enjoy looking at our cruise album once in a while. We also have home videos of our cruises, but we never watch those, so I'm not sure what good they are!
Carnival Splendor Baltics 7/25/2008
Carnival Freedom Eastern Mediterranean 8/5/2007
Diamond Princess Alaska 5/22/2004
Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean 5/31/2003

Old August 11th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Jolimont,

Do they have cruiseline scrapbook albums available as well? that would be nice too...

Thanks,
WBC

Old August 11th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

I take TONS of pics. I love my digital camera and bring my lap top so when I take the whole 250 pics the card holds, I can transfere and start again.

However, posed for pics do nothing for me. If I'm going to pose, I still want to keep it natural, by grabbing a stranger and having them snap it while I stand by a piece of art I like or where ever.

I have never brought my kids or family to a studio to put them in wash tubs, or around a fake tree or fake mountain background. My yard in the fall with natrual 'real' trees turning colors, or their pool with clear blue colors, or around my real tree at Christmas is my way of making memories. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't go to the studios, though.

I looked through the ship's pics. There were ones of just my husband and I at dinner, the whole family at ports, and boarding. And some I'm forgetting. Not one did we all look good. (Some shut eyes, or strange expression) And they all look so posed, so stiff to me.

I know I'm not exactly helping sell ship pics with this post, just sharing an opinion, and Hey - maybe some will think twice before posing and waiting and then spending money on something they could've snapped themselves at their own time and for almost no $$.

Either way- Make memories folks!
Jules

Old August 11th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Pictures are important to me because they chronicle the history of my family. They help us the remember all the fun and important events in our lives. They will stand the test of time (hopefully) and help our kids, grandkids, and so on know the history of their family. One thought though. As I was pulling together pictures for my MIL's memorial I found that I did not have many pictures of her and thus my kids won't have many pictures to remember her by. As I thought about this I realized that there are not many pictures of me in all of our stockpile of pictures. Why? Partly because I am usually the photographer and partly because I don't usually like pictures of myself. As I thought more about it I realized that I was being somewhat selfish in depriving my children and future grandkids, greatgrandkids of knowing a part of their history because I don't like photos of myself. I have since allowed my daughter to take more photos of me and let my husband take more photos of me w/the kids. Hopefully someday they will be glad that I have subjected them to all sorts of photo opportunities.

Old August 11th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We often buy the cruise line portraits because they are usually done well and is a chance to have a shot of us together. But it annoys the daylights out of me that they don't sell smaller photos. I am not going to paper my walls with 8x10 portraits. What I'd prefer is 4x6 photos and I would spend so much more money on photos if they would sell smaller shots that I could actually use.

Old August 11th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Angry

Hmmm....posted twice. Sorry.

Old August 11th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

On cruises, I try hard to take photos that (a) will remind me of the ship, the cruise and the activities, (b) will be the sort of thing that other people will want to see. I'm truly an amateur photographer with an amateur camera (Nikon aim and shoot), but I think composition is 90% of the battle; therefore, I spend a fair amount of time looking at the subject and figuring how to form the picture before taking it.

Same goes with my camcorder. Steady as she goes, usually leaning on or against something, slow zoom, slow pan; every shot having meaning even for people who weren't there.

I don't spend the cruise looking thru a viewfinder, but I'm ready when the scene is ready. "Luck," as someone once said, "is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

Old August 11th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsbestcandles
Jolimont,

Do they have cruiseline scrapbook albums available as well? that would be nice too...

Thanks,
WBC
I can't answer that for sure (since I don't scrapbook), but they sell so many things, why not? Check online too if you can't find it on board. You'd definitely find cruise themed scrapbooking supplies around, although probably not on the ship.
Carnival Splendor Baltics 7/25/2008
Carnival Freedom Eastern Mediterranean 8/5/2007
Diamond Princess Alaska 5/22/2004
Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean 5/31/2003

Old June 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have photos of my cruise on Costa Europa 8th-18th June 2007.
How can I adding them?
Many thanks!

Old June 28th, 2007, 07:18 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywewe View Post
i'v seen some gallerys of other cruises and photos dont seem to be that important to them. I love taking photos and a good photo is my pride and joy.

How important is this to you...?
I think I know what you're talking about. Composition, lighting, background interest, etc. Yes, I am very careful about framing my shots to get excellent and interesting photos...both on and off the ship. I'm a big photo buff, and I take a digital, a 35mm, and a camcorder on cruises.

I don't buy the ship's photos, except the boarding shot. That way, I have the ship's name, homeport, date of cruise, and 'moi'...and that photo goes on the title page of my scrapbook for that cruise.

One of my sisters is much like me w/her cameras. The other one, alas, is hopeless. She swings her camera around and shoots...period. No thought at all goes into her photos. (And then she wonders WHY hers are not as good as ours. LOL
1989 - Carnival Mardi Gras
1990 - Princess - Pacific Princess
1991 - RCCL - Song of Norway
2001 - Carnival Holiday
2002 - Carnival Holiday
2003 - Carnival Holiday
2004 - Carnival Holiday CTN
2004 - Carnival Sensation
2005 - Carnival Paradise
2006 - RCCL - Sovereign of the Seas
2006 - Carnival Conquest - Platinum!
2007 - Carnival Holiday
2007 - Carnival Paradise
2008 - Princess - Crown Princess
2009 - Carnival Fantasy
2009 - Princess - Alaska
Remember - NO irons, heating pads, or candles allowed in cabins!

Old June 28th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

My pictures are very important. I brought my camera everywhere because you just never know when you will get that great shot. I also brought several memory cards. I have used Photoshop Elements to do digital scrapbooking instead of traditional. I did buy several pictures they took in the ports this time.

NCL Star to Alaska June, 2007

Old June 28th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Taking pictures is one of my greatest joys. I can take 200 pictures sitting on my dock watching the fish and birds...imagine what happens on a cruise! I may delete half of them, but I sure do enjoy the possibilities as I am taking them. Camcorders are not for me, but give me my digital and I am set.
Inspiration April 7, 2008 Upper 115
Inspiration May 13, 2006 Upper 80
Paradise May 28, 2000 (my wedding) Rivera 72
Sensation Sept 5, 1998 Main 208
Majesty of the Seas October 1997
Overnight cruise on the North Sea from England to The Netherlands April 1994

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=757241 Inspiration Review 2008

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=18550 Inspiration Review 2006

Old June 28th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Tribbs1 - that is a very valid point. I too am the one taking the picutres and it's my main excuse for not being in the photo. We have often joked that I'm obviously not on a particular family holiday as there are NO pictures of me! However, I will try to remedy this a little on our next cruise.

I lug my camera everywhere with me on holiday. I'm no professional, just a basic point and shoot person. But I do try to compose the shot if I can. I find this hard with digital because of the delay - it's terrible when trying to catch a whale coming up for air.
I also agree with the natural is best opinion, opposed to posed.

I have seen some truly awesome pictures listed by other posters.
Thomsons Island Breeze (innaugeral sailing) b2b Med. - July 1997

Old June 28th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Pictures are very important to us. We have an album for every birthday, event, concert, play, vacation, etc.

But we take our own. No need to purchase the ships version of what we can take ourselves

Old June 28th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Our photos are very important to us. On our last cruise, Alaska, I shot nearly a thousand photos. Of those, I kept about 600. In addition, I got about three hundred from SIL. After Photoshopping to get the best out of them, I organized them into a really nice DVD with music and voice over. Now we have a chance to relive these great memories with very little problem.

Actually, I have done this for every year my BW and I have been together, (eighteen) and for all the big events of our time together. For me it is a great hobby with a super payoff.

Old June 29th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

I like buying the pictures taken on the ship, They're a great souvenir and we get some great group shots that we wouldn't get otherwise and I've been really pleased with them.

Old June 29th, 2007, 11:01 AM
10,000+ Club

Not only are the photos I take of our vacations (and everything else), I love to look at others' photos. It gives me a small sense of who they are and what's important to them.

I am more selective about the photos I buy on the ship now. The last formal photo we bought we ended up copying (with a release from the line) and sending in Christmas cards. Plus, the family (mainly DH) doesn't complain about having to go get photos taken, just do it on the way to dinner and be done with it.

Celebrity Galaxy 11/04
Grand Princess 2/06
Carnival Conquest 10/06
Celebrity Mercury to Alaska 9/07 very cool - literally!
Vegas, baby! 11/08
NCL Spirit 1/09, where everybody knew my name (which was strange and a little fun at the same time)
NCL Pearl 3/10
HAL Oosterdam 5/2011, back to Alaska we went!
RCCL Mariner OTS 3/2012 - another 1st!
NCL Star 12/2012 - more firsts!
NCL Jewel 12/2013 - Christmas on the water
NCL Jewel 11/2014 - and a few more firsts!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Old June 29th, 2007, 12:31 PM
10,000+ Club

I love taking pics. I lost all my photos prior to 2003 in a fire . I take pics of my H/C room and tell others on here I have them. I have some from Summit and Hal Massdam. I also try to take pics of the pool area with stairs showing so those who have problems can see before hand. I also take shots of fish and other things that I find fun. I keep them on my computer and look at them whenever I need a boost.

Eclipse Jan 26 -23 Feb 2013
Allure B2B 12 & 19 Feb 2012
Allure 5 Dec 2010 http://travel.webshots.com/album/579321903lVFsSR
Norwegian Epic 21 & 28 Aug 2110
Oasis of the Seas 1 & 5 Dec 2009 (Inagural)
Constallation 2-13 Feb 2009
Radiance 26 Sep - 11 Oct 08
Voyager B2B 20 & 27 Jan 2008
Freedom of the Seas 15-22 Oct 06
Summit Hawaii 15-29 Jan 06 Hawaii pics http://community.webshots.com/user/C...n=publicAlbums .
Maasdam Southern Carb 6-17 Feb 05
Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03
Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03
Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

Old June 29th, 2007, 06:43 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywewe View Post
i'v seen some gallerys of other cruises and photos dont seem to be that important to them. I love taking photos and a good photo is my pride and joy. How important is this to you...?
I take lots.... around 200 per day while touring. Maybe only 20-50 on sea days. I carry an inexpensive laptop for downloading and checking how they are coming out.

I have slide shows for the family (after culling them down). Plus loading them on my home computer, I select a few of the better to add to my screen saver file. I constantly go back and relive a specific trip. I look forward to going through the tens (or maybe hundreds) of thousands of pictures I have when I am too old to travel....
Mar 91 Starward, Eastern Caribbean
Dec 91 Dawn Princess, Mexican Rivera
Jul 99 Nieuw Amsterdam, Alaska (Northbound)
Aug 01 SS Independence, Hawaii My Independence Photos
Apr 02 Royal Princess, Panama Canal
Apr 03 Dawn Princess, Trans Pacific / Hawaii
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Western Caribbean
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean
Nov 03 Ryndam, Mexican Rivera
Apr 04 Zenith, Southern Caribbean
Sep 04 Regal Princess, Canada / New England My Regal Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Cook Islands My Tahitian Princess - Cook Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Marquesas Islands My Tahitian Princess - Marquesas Photos
Apr 05 Dawn Princess, Panama Canal Ft Laud to SF My Dawn Princess - Panama Canal Photos
May 05 Mississippi Queen, Mississippi River My Mississippi Queen Photos
Sep 05 Grand Princess, Eastern Med / Greek Isles My Grand Med / Greek Isle Photos
Apr 06 Dawn Princess, CA Coast / Mexican Rivera My Dawn Princess Mex Rivera Photos
Aug 06 Golden Princess, British Isles My Golden Princess Photos
Feb 07 Sapphire Princess, Australia / New Zealand My Sapphire Princess Photos
Jan 10 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Rivera

Upcoming Cruises
TBD