Fascination being replaced with Elation

mike_ga

I love the Fascination, it was my first ship and with home port only two hours away She's perfect for a long weekend getaway.

Today I see that she's being replaced with her younger sister the Elation, which has not had the evolutions upgrades of Fascination. I can live without waterworks and the Decor is definitely better than Fascination, but Balconies are reduced to suites on Upper Deck and rooms the Verandah deck, My absolute favorite is the extended balconies at the stern and the balconies on Verandah Deck offer zero privacy.

It seems like Carnival would have dry docked elation to add, at the very least, the balconies before moving her to JAXPORT

Edited by mike_ga

Carnival's decision to move the Fascination is directly associated with the ability to sell those balconies at a higher price in a different market. Balconies will definitely command a higher price on a Southern a Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan than on a cheap, short Bahamas cruise out of Jacksonville. IMHO, Elation, the way it is, is better suited for this market. Carnival is not going to spend millions of dollars to retrofit the Elation with balconies , just to sell them at a discount price or give them away as free upgrades to people who booked an oceanview guarantee, both which were common occurrences out of JAX.

This massive realignment at Carnival is driven by $$$. They are matching ships and their amenities with markets where they will be most lucrative.

Edited by Tapi

Carnival's decision to move the Fascination is directly associated with the ability to sell those balconies at a higher price in a different market. Balconies will definitely command a higher price on a Southern a Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan than on a cheap, short Bahamas cruise out of Jacksonville. IMHO, Elation, the way it is, is better suited for this market. Carnival is not going to spend millions of dollars to retrofit the Elation with balconies , just to sell them at a discount price or give them away as free upgrades to people who booked an oceanview guarantee, both which were common occurrences out of JAX.

This massive realignment at Carnival is driven by $$$. They are matching ships and their amenities with markets where they will be most lucrative.

We booked a mid-ship balcony on the Fascination for $1700 for 10/16. What were they getting in Jax?

We booked a mid-ship balcony on the Fascination for $1700 for 10/16. What were they getting in Jax?

A quick glimpse at balconies out of JAX in October of this year shows prices in the $400's pp. But the bigger issue is that many of these balconies will go unsold and end up assigned as a complimentary upgrade to people that paid in the $200's for a guaranteed inside or oceanview.

A quick glimpse at balconies out of JAX in October of this year shows prices in the $400's pp. But the bigger issue is that many of these balconies will go unsold and end up assigned as a complimentary upgrade to people that paid in the $200's for a guaranteed inside or oceanview.

Seems like that is enough of a reason to move a ship:).

I hate to see the Fascination leave Jaxport too. We sailed on her last March, 2014 - our first family cruise. It was wonderful and we loved the decor and upgrades, not to mention the short drive.

We cruised the Elation last October and were very disappointed. The boat was not in good shape and no upgrades - we really missed the Hasbro Game show.

I guess the boats will go where the $$$ is. :rolleyes:

^^

Completely agree!

We are set to cruise on the Fascination in January next year. We choose this boat because there was more options and upgrades over the Fantasy..

Now, the Fantasy's future is up in the air and now Fascination is set to leave. I am really hoping for a good ship in Charleston because if not, we will be driving up North or further south to cruise (we are in NC) and I really hate driving!!

it is a kick in the teeth to people in South Carolina. North Carolina. Kentucky. Georgia. Tennessee. Alabama. Mississippi

which keep that ship sailing FULLY BOOKED most of the year.

First they take KEY WEST away. That was a HUGELY popular cruise. We took it. Loved it.

Now this.

Jacksonville gets the most positive cruise reviews of any port Carnival operates. My Son in Law works at the Port. Logistics.

Nice hotels around the airport. Much cheaper than Miami.

I follow cruise news and prices as everyone on this board does..

MIAMI and TEXAS discount cruises. NOT Port Canaveral. Not Jacksonville..and yes every ship does sometimes....but people on Fascination....many have cruised on that ship..seven...eight times. EASY to drive too. I-95. I-10.

When Mayport is dredged, as our Mayor is doing right now..and JaxPort is expanded..I PRAY a NCL or RCI comes in.....

it is a kick in the teeth to people in South Carolina. North Carolina. Kentucky. Georgia. Tennessee. Alabama. Mississippi

First they take KEY WEST away. That was a HUGELY popular cruise. We took it. Loved it.

Now this.

Jacksonville gets the most positive cruise reviews of any port Carnival operates. My Son in Law works at the Port. Logistics.

MIAMI and TEXAS discount cruises. NOT Port Canaveral. Not Jacksonville..and yes every ship does sometimes....but people on Fascination....many have cruised on that ship..seven...eight times. EASY to drive too. I-95. I-10.

When Mayport is dredged, as our Mayor is doing right now..and JaxPort is expanded..I PRAY a NCL or RCI comes in.....

Is being expanded or moved to allow bigger/more ships?

The Mayor we have now is working hard to get a port that is big enough to accommodate ships that can cross the New Panama Canal. BIG ONES.

he has had the PREZ down to Jax to work on it.

he has to fight land developers who want to take Mayport and build a very expensive resort..Condos and such and then seal it off from the Public.

Huge battle. Hope he wins. Cruise port would being good clean jobs. Lots of guests. easy access to St. Augustine. Swamps of Georgia. Fort Caroline.

if Jax does not do it....Savannah has said they will do anything to get a cruise ship. Dredge. whatever.

HUGE ships have to be moved to Mayport.

Blount Island.............cannot cross under Dame's point bridge. Close shave for Fascination.

Great Voyage down the River. DREDGING could get in a bigger ship, I think

Most want the port at Mayport where really big cruise ships could anchor.

Now this.

Completely agree it's time for Jacksonville to build the port to support the big ships much more convenient for people who don't want to add on 5 more hours of driving plus it would be a great resource for the city

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forums mobile app

I've known about this move since it was announced and it still disappoints me. Jaxport is 10 min from my house, so Fascination has been our quick easy get away. I'm not a fantasy class fan, but the Fascination has grown on us. It's not likely we will cruise on Elation. I would rather drive 2 hrs to Port Canaveral and have the option of better ships...and itineraries.

We love the Fantasy class ships and the Fantasy was our first Carnival ship...we have sailed the Fascination three times...the Elation twice...I personally think the Elation is a beautiful ship and loved my cruises on her...

We have never booked one of the added on balconies as I think they are too expensive for what you get and also think most don't have a couch..just the usual chair.

So...we would definitely drive to Jax again to sail the Elation...now if they would just add back in Key West....so tired of Nassau and Freeport....

if they would add in Key West again.........I would again book cabins for us and my daughter's family. they have never been to Key West.

but they won't. They are having a you know what match over Texas and the West. ( which I love) but....PRICES there are the LOWEST of all cruise ports while Prices for Cape Canaveral and Jacksonville for the ships they are remain High. Good Volume.

I see four and five day cruises coming out of Miami for less than $200 for five days. Often $179. the Conquest....The Glory.........always cheaper fares. while the Valor. With NO updates...doing pretty well in Cape Canaveral.

Carnival just has this bias towards North Florida or take their large cruising base for granted.

NCL has the Spirit coming to P.C. in November. I am going to book a cruise on that ship just to see what it is like. they have a special rate which gives you unlimited access to some of the specialty restaurants. Now if I can just save enough fast enough before that offer vanishes....

I am highly irritated. Both at losing Key West which is now a port for Texas and Miami based ships only. Other cruise money does not spend, I guess.

Edited by AmberTeka

if they would add in Key West again.........I would again book cabins for us and my daughter's family. they have never been to Key West.

but they won't. They are having a you know what match over Texas and the West. ( which I love) but....PRICES there are the LOWEST of all cruise ports while Prices for Cape Canaveral and Jacksonville for the ships they are remain High. Good Volume.

I see four and five day cruises coming out of Miami for less than $200 for five days. Often $179. the Conquest....The Glory.........always cheaper fares. while the Valor. With NO updates...doing pretty well in Cape Canaveral.

Carnival just has this bias towards North Florida or take their large cruising base for granted.

NCL has the Spirit coming to P.C. in November. I am going to book a cruise on that ship just to see what it is like. they have a special rate which gives you unlimited access to some of the specialty restaurants. Now if I can just save enough fast enough before that offer vanishes....

I am highly irritated. Both at losing Key West which is now a port for Texas and Miami based ships only. Other cruise money does not spend, I guess.

thanks for the info...didn't know about the NCL ship..interesting...we love Carnival but agree with you about Key West...and I am just tired of going to Nassau...we snagged a great deal this Jan on the Fascination..but price was the only reason we cruised on her again...

Kids booked us on RCI for next year for a family cruise..and we still have one more Hal FCC to use...wish Hal would bring back a ship to port Canaveral...

• 1 month later...
I've known about this move since it was announced and it still disappoints me. Jaxport is 10 min from my house, so Fascination has been our quick easy get away. I'm not a fantasy class fan, but the Fascination has grown on us. It's not likely we will cruise on Elation. I would rather drive 2 hrs to Port Canaveral and have the option of better ships...and itineraries.

Completely agree with you here. I'm in saint johns county and this is a nice drive to the port. Put a crappy ship in and I'll have to make the jaunt down to Canaveral.