Fun Ship 2.0 Playlist Productions Implement & Spirit Drydock 2015

funcruiser1234

Playlist Productions: The Carnival Elation will get Playlist Production in Summer 2015, the Carnival Paradise will Playlist Productions in Fall/Winter 2015, and the Carnival Spirit will get Playlist Productions in August 2015 in a dry-dock. The Carnival Elation and Carnival Paradise are not getting drydocked for the Playlist Production's implementation, but the Carnival Spirit is.

Spirit 2015 Drydock: The Spirit is also being dry-docked this year in August for many FunShip 2.0 features such as, Seaside Theatre, Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana, Red Frog Rum Bar, and Dive In Movies. This information was told by Carnival's AU Media Department.

I got this information from a drydock schedule on this website:

http://www.embarkandaway.com/carnival-drydock-schedule.html

I did not realize the Carnival Elation and Paradise would be getting Playlist Productions, but now I have found the new CD director and confirmed it myself (assuming the CD schedule by John Heald is correct). Too bad, the Carnival Spirit has to sail from Australia or I would want to go on the ship. Keep in mind all of this could change or be incorrect if something was incorrectly published by Carnival (things have changed in the past).

This is exciting information!! I hope Playlist Productions is a good upgrade.

Edited by funcruiser1234

I know there are lots of Playlist fans out there, but I'm not one of them. Loud (canned) music, bright flashing lights, and poor shows. I tried three of them on Glory last year and only one (Epic Rock) was tolerable for me. We will be skipping them on our upcoming Breeze cruise.

I know there are lots of Playlist fans out there, but I'm not one of them. Loud (canned) music, bright flashing lights, and poor shows. I tried three of them on Glory last year and only one (Epic Rock) was tolerable for me. We will be skipping them on our upcoming Breeze cruise.

I'm not a fan either. I moss live music.

I didn't care for the shows on Elation before so not sure if it can be any worse. If they took away Dream's amazing shows (minus the country themed one, that can go) with a live band then I would be upset.

I didn't care for the shows on Elation before so not sure if it can be any worse. If they took away Dream's amazing shows (minus the country themed one, that can go) with a live band then I would be upset.

The playlist are not close to the Dream shows. Most of the playlist that I have seen are not very good ,,,, Dream shows are some of the best

Sad they are continuing down this path. They used to have real good production shows.

I agree. I don't understand why they are so anxious to spread these sad Playlist shows to other ships, especially when a large majority of people don't like them. (No disrespect intended for those that do like them.) They must be desperate to cut costs as quickly as possible. Carnival's production shows with the live music might not be up to the standards of say, Phantom of the Opera. But they were still good & very entertaining, and I would always look forward to seeing the shows. The Playlist shows just felt like I wasted my time. Swimming or watching a movie on the big screen would've been more entertaining.

Playlist Productions: The Carnival Elation will get Playlist Production in Summer 2015, the Carnival Paradise will Playlist Productions in Fall/Winter 2015, and the Carnival Spirit will get Playlist Productions in August 2015 in a dry-dock. The Carnival Elation and Carnival Paradise are not getting drydocked for the Playlist Production's implementation, but the Carnival Spirit is.

Spirit 2015 Drydock: The Spirit is also being dry-docked this year in August for many FunShip 2.0 features such as, Seaside Theatre, Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana, Red Frog Rum Bar, and Dive In Movies. This information was told by Carnival's AU Media Department.

I got this information from a drydock schedule on this website:

http://www.embarkandaway.com/carnival-drydock-schedule.html

I did not realize the Carnival Elation and Paradise would be getting Playlist Productions, but now I have found the new CD director and confirmed it myself (assuming the CD schedule by John Heald is correct). Too bad, the Carnival Spirit has to sail from Australia or I would want to go on the ship. Keep in mind all of this could change or be incorrect if something was incorrectly published by Carnival (things have changed in the past).

This sets up an interesting scenario.....could Carnival Miracle set sail to Australia when Spirit returns for dry dock and then be repositioned to....wait for it.....Port Tampa Bay?

Edited by Captain Carnival

I agree. I don't understand why they are so anxious to spread these sad Playlist shows to other ships, especially when a large majority of people don't like them. (No disrespect intended for those that do like them.) They must be desperate to cut costs as quickly as possible. Carnival's production shows with the live music might not be up to the standards of say, Phantom of the Opera. But they were still good & very entertaining, and I would always look forward to seeing the shows. The Playlist shows just felt like I wasted my time. Swimming or watching a movie on the big screen would've been more entertaining.

I would say that carnivals target customers probably do like playlist productions. Gen x and millennials like tech in everything. Look at churches today, you will notice that more and more are adding stage lighting and protection screens. Both generations are now a visual generation. Since we are now the generations that have the young families, and are most likely new cruisers. Carnival keeps adding playlist to appeal to us. It isnt a "cutback" it is just trying to appeal to their customer base.

I would say that carnivals target customers probably do like playlist productions. Gen x and millennials like tech in everything. Look at churches today, you will notice that more and more are adding stage lighting and protection screens. Both generations are now a visual generation. Since we are now the generations that have the young families, and are most likely new cruisers. Carnival keeps adding playlist to appeal to us. It isnt a "cutback" it is just trying to appeal to their customer base.

Sorry only way to get rid of my response.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

I am not gen X but an over 60senior and I loved the 88Keys Playlist show I just saw on the Miracle!

The singing and dancing were great and the music and lights added more great energy to the whole experience!

I had more fun at that show than at the older productions they used to have!

I am not gen X but an over 60senior and I loved the 88Keys Playlist show I just saw on the Miracle!

The singing and dancing were great and the music and lights added more great energy to the whole experience!

I had more fun at that show than at the older productions they used to have!

we went to one of the last performances of Ticket to Ride. Playlist shows dont hold a candle to it.

They have said that Tampa will be getting another ship. Most likely one is Miracle but if they do that what ship do they use for Hawaii and Alaska?

The Miracle is out of the Alaska business already, The Legend is spending both of its summers in Alaska and Sydney. Whatever ship calls Long Beach home will pick up the Mexico Rivera and Hawaii routes

I have to respectfully disagree, but only somewhat. I am right in the middle of that customer base, and I really enjoy modern concerts & production shows. I just went to a very modern production show in my hometown tonight, and there were tons of people my age, as well as plenty of teens & kids. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. The sets & props were incredible, plenty of performers, and the 75% live music added so much! Taking a couple little aspects of modern shows (lighting & graphics) doesn't make it a modern show that appeals to the customer base. If that was Carnival's goal, they failed miserably. That customer base who have experienced modern shows are going to be wondering: where is the live music (even having just partial live music helps in a huge way), why are there so few performers, why no props, & it's over already--that was so short!!!

Teenagers that I've gotten to know on my cruises have all really loved what Carnival has had in their old production shows with the live music. But they seemed quite apathetic about Playlist Productions. That is a small sampling. But it does hold true to what I said in the comparisons to true modern concerts/productions.

The reason that I only somewhat disagree is that I do agree that Carnival is trying to appeal to a certain target audience. I just don't think they're using the shows to do it. I think they are aiming for people who don't really like going to shows, who never went to them before, and this quite often is not the younger crowd. They want to draw in people that are only looking for the basics of cruising, and there's nothing wrong with people wanting just the basics. Whether this is a good business strategy for Carnival, time will tell.

Edited by k2excursion

I have to respectfully disagree, but only somewhat. I am right in the middle of that customer base, and I really enjoy modern concerts & production shows. I just went to a very modern production show in my hometown tonight, and there were tons of people my age, as well as plenty of teens & kids. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. The sets & props were incredible, plenty of performers, and the 75% live music added so much! Taking a couple little aspects of modern shows (lighting & graphics) doesn't make it a modern show that appeals to the customer base. If that was Carnival's goal, they failed miserably. That customer base who have experienced modern shows are going to be wondering: where is the live music (even having just partial live music helps in a huge way), why are there so few performers, why no props, & it's over already--that was so short!!!

Teenagers that I've gotten to know on my cruises have all really loved what Carnival has had in their old production shows with the live music. But they seemed quite apathetic about Playlist Productions. That is a small sampling. But it does hold true to what I said in the comparisons to true modern concerts/productions.

The reason that I only somewhat disagree is that I do agree that Carnival is trying to appeal to a certain target audience. I just don't think they're using the shows to do it. I think they are aiming for people who don't really like going to shows, who never went to them before, and this quite often is not the younger crowd. They want to draw in people that are only looking for the basics of cruising, and there's nothing wrong with people wanting just the basics. Whether this is a good business strategy for Carnival, time will tell.

It is great to have difference of opinions lol. My parents loved the old shows. Especially the Beatles tribute one. I didnt like them at all. I am just thankful i dont cruise for the production shows lol. I know i am probably in the minority, but i enjoy the passegner participation shows over the production shows. It doesn't matter how many times ive seen and heard the same answers and questions and jokes at the marriage shows. I still laugh my head off. I love the welcome aboard show and still love the corny cruise director stuff during that show.

• 4 weeks later...
Too bad, the Carnival Spirit has to sail from Australia or I would want to go on the ship.
You might enjoy a cruise out of Australia. Sailing from the most amazing harbour in the world to some of the most scenic tropical islands on the planet.

• 2 months later...

Unless you get....Splendor.

Hi Captain C, We love your Posts... We have done 5 Carnival Cruises here in Australia and soon will board Carnival Spirit for 12nights to Singapore.. for its update in dock etc.. We just received our Carnival "Gold" pins.. can you tell me how to "transfer" these onto our CC posts?? eg. like your platinum?

Thanks, oh, and Happy Cruising..... with Carnival--- naturally!

Edited by hotshotgdh
spaced better,,eh