Dynamic dining nightmare

I don't know about anyone else but I have wasted hours trying to book dining to match up with booked entertainment - and this only on a three night cruise on Anthem. In the midst of all this chaos they have introduced Classic dining (but no-one told us so we cannot change to that) and changed a couple of the dining options from select to a la carte - again with no notice.

This is my first RCI cruise - it's not encouraging me to return!

Sharon,

I feel your pain. About a year ago, when I booked our upcoming Oasis cruise, I was looking at booking entertainment and just doing my time dining. While booking entertainment would be new to me, my time dining I have done on RCCL among other cruise lines so that would be old hat.

Then, they announced Dynamic Dining would be introduced on the Oasis late winter early spring. I thought this was a little premature,since Quantum hadn't even been launched yet and thusly work out the kinks before expanding the concept.

So I started to scramble, to figure out which concepts will be in the different MDR's. So now I would have deconflict entertainment schedules etc with dining reservations among other things.

Then there was the fiasco of the Quantum launch. So RCCL made the logical decision to delay Dynamic Dining on the Oasis. Back to square two. Got that figured out. Only to receive an email that said one of my Show reservations had been moved. I knew that this would conflict with a speciality dinner reservation I had made.

In the mean time they managed to break their website. It took me a week to figure out how to get to the correct cruise planner link. Modified the show reservation.

In summation, with things in such a stuff of flux, I will not be booking RCCL for a while.

4 years ago on Allure, I had enough frustration trying to book just entertainment (dinner was still at a set time). I can't imagine having to book BOTH dining and entertainment and then try to keep track of it all. It's unfortunate that more and more cruise lines are moving toward this model. My husband all but refuses to cruise on ships that don't offer traditional dining and entertainment options. I have a feeling that with time, it'll make it harder and harder for me to find cruising options for us.

I sure Anthem is a unbelievable ship , but not interested in any ship where I cannot get same table same time same waiter, like I have been doing for over 30 years. Should try another RCCL ship

Which is exactly what Dynamic Dining "Classic" will give you

Then there was the fiasco of the Quantum launch. So RCCL made the logical decision to delay Dynamic Dining on the Oasis.

I was on board for the maiden trans Atlantic voyage of Quantum. The on board experience was quite chaotic on many levels. I was traveling in a group of 4, and we disliked the dynamic dining experience (albeit brand new) so much that we abandoned it after day 3, and went to the WJ for the rest of the trip.

Even though I am not a fan of the new concept, I am of the view that a great deal of the frustration is a result of the RCI web page. It is poorly designed and is less user friendly than earlier versions. It was a nightmare booking dining and entertainment for the Quantum sailing, and I had to call customer service several times as things I had booked would disappear, and then the web site would not let me try to re-book. I have been booking shows and dining for a few cruises my in laws have taken on RCI, and each time, the web site is really difficult to navigate.

I guess I am wondering if people (myself included) would be less frustrated with the new dining concept, if the web page made it easy to book dining options and entertainment.

Sharon, as a host here you have to deal with lots of details. consider it a day at Cruise critic, sure there is chaos and disaster, but at the end of the day it is all fun and games and everyone moves on.

Just book a single restaurant you like, it is just a 3 day cruise. not a lifetime at sea.

just sayin...

jc:D

4 years ago on Allure, I had enough frustration trying to book just entertainment (dinner was still at a set time). I can't imagine having to book BOTH dining and entertainment and then try to keep track of it all. It's unfortunate that more and more cruise lines are moving toward this model. My husband all but refuses to cruise on ships that don't offer traditional dining and entertainment options. I have a feeling that with time, it'll make it harder and harder for me to find cruising options for us.

Book the entertainment you want to see and book the dining around it. Guys this is not a hard thing to do, who doesn't look at their cruise booking every day or every other day as the cruise approaches? If you really like set dining Harmony or other oasis class or freedom class ships will still be available and welcoming. The quantum class was noted as a different experience and for some different means good and for others different means bad.

I sure Anthem is a unbelievable ship , but not interested in any ship where I cannot get same table same time same waiter, like I have been doing for over 30 years. Should try another RCCL ship

We like classic cruise ship meals, and with two people with sever shellfish allergies, knowing our dining room staff is helpful.

Recent postings from RCI CEO indicates that Dynamic Dining is going fleet wide and will replace classic options in the future. We are looking at other cruise lines after our 2 currently booked cruises with RCI.

We like classic cruise ship meals, and with two people with sever shellfish allergies, knowing our dining room staff is helpful.

Recent postings from RCI CEO indicates that Dynamic Dining is going fleet wide and will replace classic options in the future. We are looking at other cruise lines after our 2 currently booked cruises with RCI.

What are they going to do, completely reconstruct the MDR areas? This new concept must be lucrative!

What are they going to do, completely reconstruct the MDR areas? This new concept must be lucrative!

Yes, that's what happened to the Oasis last year and will happen to the Allure next month. Harmony will have those changes from get go. The rest of the fleet - not so sure it'll work on those other ships.

So choose DD Classic and you will have the same dining staff?! :confused:

This thread is indicative of part of the problem with DD IMO.

Firstly the heading "Dynamic Dining Nightmare" - really? Not an exaggeration at all? I have had no trouble booking my restaurants and entertainment for my Anthem cruise next month, other than a slight glitch on the website which shows Spectra's cabaret running from 6.30am to 10.25pm on my planner!

Then a lot of people who are clearly misinformed and have never used it piling onto say what a disaster it is. I'm not saying there are no issues - there clearly have been - but I believe a lot of the early issues have been smoothed out. But people who are determined to hate the concept are just encouraging each other to complain more and more - often when there is nothing to complain about, and trying to create the impression that everyone hates it - when in fact there have been a lot of positive reviews about it also.

Having to pre-plan every minute seems less like a vacation, and more like work!

You are right. There are way too many vacation options to choose from without all this planning. The idea is to destress not add to it.

For me that's an excellent point. I've said it before . . . We love getting to know our waiters/cabin steward etc.... It's part of the total experience for us. But another issue came to light on the BIG ships v's the big ships . . . You can stand in the atrium of the "big" ships and still see water on either side of you. But on the "BIG" ships, you can not . . . I don't want to go on a cruise where I can see the cruising . . . My curiosity may overwhelm me one day . . . but probably not

Firstly the heading "Dynamic Dining Nightmare" - really? Not an exaggeration at all? ...a lot of people who are clearly misinformed and have never used it piling onto say what a disaster it is. I'm not saying there are no issues - there clearly have been - but I believe a lot of the early issues have been smoothed out... and trying to create the impression that everyone hates it - when in fact there have been a lot of positive reviews about it also.

Does the OP get to have an opinion?

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Firstly the heading "Dynamic Dining Nightmare" - really? Not an exaggeration at all? I have had no trouble booking my restaurants and entertainment for my Anthem cruise next month, other than a slight glitch on the website which shows Spectra's cabaret running from 6.30am to 10.25pm on my planner!

Then a lot of people who are clearly misinformed and have never used it piling onto say what a disaster it is. I'm not saying there are no issues - there clearly have been - but I believe a lot of the early issues have been smoothed out. But people who are determined to hate the concept are just encouraging each other to complain more and more - often when there is nothing to complain about, and trying to create the impression that everyone hates it - when in fact there have been a lot of positive reviews about it also.

I am going to chime in here - yes it IS a nightmare !

I have cruised Quantum and it was painful to prebook the restaurants, especially as entertainment schedules come out after you reserve restaurants.

However, I had no problem once onboard.

However - I travelled solo and had to book only myself.

I have an Anthem cruise coming up with my family - we are booked in the family connected suite - which books as 3 booking numbers - which are linked.

I tried booking our dining and only managed to get the first evening done - it took 3 hours online.

It's not DD - it is their pathetic IT staff that were the cause.

Every time I linked my reservation to one booking, it deleted the other booking.

Finally it worked, but no matter what I tried I could not get the three linked for the next night - so finally I gave up.

I understand the pain of the OP.

We were in the family connected suite on Quantum inaugural. Didn't seem as though we had issues with booking before cruising, but once on the ship we never knew which name/reservation number would be the one to give the hostess at each restaurant. It changed with each it seemed. Small qlitch. Also, all the WOW bands look the same. Find a way to distinguish. Was out one day with my granddaughter's band. Absolutely loved the room. Wish that option were available on more ships.

I don't know about anyone else but I have wasted hours trying to book dining to match up with booked entertainment - and this only on a three night cruise on Anthem. In the midst of all this chaos they have introduced Classic dining (but no-one told us so we cannot change to that) and changed a couple of the dining options from select to a la carte - again with no notice.

This is my first RCI cruise - it's not encouraging me to return!

So what is the reason you cannot book dining? You did not tell us. What's the hangup

Thanks for the heads up -

It's a great way for a family to travel, although I don't know if I would book it again.

You are paying suite prices, and not getting suite perks - all for some corridors.

When I booked it - it was when the itineraries were announced, they did not know whether it would be suite amenities or not, but since have said No.

But it should still be wonderful. I am looking forward to it.