Alcohol limits

Sorry if this has already been answered but I've been away a long time.

On my last RCI cruise ( 2001 ) we were allowed to buy alcohol at the duty free shop onboard and take it back to the cabin for drinking in the cabin ONLY

Can we still do this or are the rules changed ??

Has anyone had first hand experience or know someone who has tried this and can you please advise.

Many thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Winncove, I think that corkage fee would be for wine, I'm looking at spirits eg Jack Daniels & Baileys.

If you buy it in port would they allow you to take it to your cabin or do they do what Princess does and hold it in bond until your last night ? icon_confused.gif

SKB,

For liquor it's not a "corking fee", it's an "in-room consumption fee", but a fee by any other name ...

Yes, you can still buy duty free in ports and have them hold it for you.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

My last three RCI cruises in the past 18 months allowed you to purchase liquor whenever but it was delivered to your cabin late on the the last night of the cruise. You were not permitted to take it to the cabin.

RCI(37),NCL(12),Princess(1),HAL(2),Celebrity(3), Carnival(2), Eastern (13),Radisson(2), Star Clippers(1),Home Lines(2), Costa(5),Big Red Boat (6), Dolphin (1), Commodore (2), Others (11)

Thanks for the help everyone.

caviargal, sounds like RCI are doing the same as the others and holding it back until the last night.

I wonder if I could " sneak " a bottle onboard.

Please don't get me wrong, I do buy my fair share of alcohol from the bars ( and probably some other passengers limits as well ) but I do like to have a drink in my cabin and not have to worry about walking to the nearest bar every 1/2 hour.

We poured a bottle of vodka into one of those Nalgene water bottles (they are unbreakable), put it in a ziplock bag and brought it on in our carryon luggage. We did purchase our share of drinks at the bars, it was just for pre-dinner.

NOS 04/03/04!!!

Majesty 04/03, 08/03

If you purchase in the onboard liquor store they will either hold it for you until the last night or you can pay the inroom consumption fee which is around $9-9.50. On the first night, sometimes they have a special where you can pay just 1 consumption fee and purchase as many bottles as you want. After that, you pay the fee on each bottle you want to take back to your cabin. With the low prices they offer, usually it's still a better deal to pay the fee than to buy in the USA and smuggle onboard, especially if your cruise offers the first night special.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Mariner of the Seas

SKB,

I don't know when/where caviargirl was sailing, but you'll be able to buy it onboard for in-room consumption. Here is RCI's policy (from their website):

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Guests who purchase liquor onboard a Royal Caribbean International vessel from one of our gifts shops, for in-stateroom consumption, will be sold the liquor at an in-stateroom consumption rate (non-duty free rate which is comparable to retail rates), which in turn can be taken immediately to their stateroom.

If a guest decides that they would like to purchase duty free liquor from any of our gift shops, then they will pay the duty free price and their respective liquor purchase will be delivered to their stateroom on the last night of their voyage.

In addition, any liquor purchases that are made by a guest in a land based location, will be stored onboard when they enter the vessel, and will be delivered to their stateroom on the last night of their voyage.

For those guests who bring wine and champagne to celebrate a special occasion onboard, these products will be tagged and stored by our personnel, and delivered to the guest stateroom or their dining venue, as per their request. If these special wines or champagnes are consumed in our dining room or specialty restaurants, or in the Windjammer Cafe for casual dining, a corkage fee of $12 per bottle will apply.

PS - The best prices for in-room consumption are the first night, buy it then.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

We have bought in the onboard shops and paid the in room consumption fee. It was still cheaper than here at home. Also, on the ships I have been on, the shop didn't have mix, we had to buy that at premium price from the bar or use the coke thats in the room. We tried to find tonic on land and finally found some in Jamica but I had never seen pale yellow tonic so I passed.

Sovereign 3/30/98

Monarch 4/9/2000

Grandeur 1/11/2002

Splendour 2/19/2004

Panama Canal

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;2;19;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I was on the Voyager last month. On the first night we bought all our liqour (they had good prices, my gf is in the busines) and they only charged us 9.50 consumption fee. If we were to buy it the rest of the week it would have been 9.50 per bottle

Mark_K, thanks.

I don't want to appear to be some dumbo from Down Under but can you explain one more thing to me please.

If I bring some Aussie wine with me onboard to drink in my room are they

1: Going to confiscate it from me and deliver a bottle everytime I want to drink one in the cabin ???

2: Charge me an upfront inroom consumption fee to cover ALL the wine I bring onboard ???

3: What do you mean by the PS - The best prices for in-room consumption are the first night, buy it then ???

Thanking you all in advance for your patience and guiding this confused sole from Down Under.

SKB,

They don't charge for bringing booze on board: if they find it, they just confiscate it. If they don't, you're home free. I don't think anybody has ever been turned in by their room steward, though descretion is probably the best policy.

I think Mark's "PS" means that the first night sales are the best on the cruise. They do run sales all week though, but I've never compared.

Mike

Archived