Regarding Viking River Cruises...

nicksfix

Hello, everyone! Longtime visitor, first-time poster. I'll just cut to the chase: I'm looking into planning a 2016 Viking River Cruise, the Grand European Adventure from Amsterdam to Budapest. I'll be graduating college in early that year, and am thinking it would be a nice way for myself and a couple friends to celebrate in style!

Of course, I realize that Viking tends to cater to older travellers, but that works out just fine for us - one of us who is going is 70 (a close family friend), and two others in their mid-twenties, including myself. The older member of our group used to live in Germany for some time, and wishes to see it again, so this seems like a perfect vacation in the making. None of us are party people, and, if anything, are introverts and history buffs!

I'd love to know what people think of Viking's service - we are all first-time cruisers and have no idea what to expect. It was either going to be this or a Queen Mary 2 voyage somewhere, but Viking wins this time (will save the QM2 for a honeymoon down the road). Is this a good choice for first-time cruisers? We don't mind the excursions - in fact, they make the trip more enticing, suffice to say. I really don't want to have to put up with obnoxious, flag-waving, cartoony staff and reckless passengers, so it feels like this is a smart route to take. I'd love to read of some authentic experience, particularly of those travelling from Canada on the same itinerary, but everyone is welcome to share their tales. Also, ANY money-saving advice that doesn't sacrifice safety or excursions, etc. is welcome too - we ARE college students after all ;)

Sorry for the long post! Also must apologize for posting a Viking topic when I know there are a few already on here - I checked some, but none really answered my query. Nice to be on here, amongst my own people who don't think I'm crazy for loving cruises! Hopefully there's nobody on here that sees any ship and exclaims "This looks like the Titanic!"... ugh (shudders).

Edited by nicksfix

Hello - Congrats on the early graduation.

I took 2 of my daughters who are your age on this cruise last summer. They loved it, after they slowed down a bit. There can be a lot of sitting around when you first leave Amsterdam, esp when you are in Europe, wound up, and you want to go, go, go. And you wnd up on the boat for most of the day, and then when you get off for a tour, it's only 90 minutes, and you walk at a snails pace.

That's the first few days, a lot of cruising, see a few windmills, then Colonge, then a small town w/ the wood beamed houses...fun, but not an exciting time. Not many scheduled activities on board, you make your own fun. About half way through the cruise, they were able to relax more and just roll with things. We all would have like more time in ports, but the luxuries of the boat spoiled you after awhile, and heading back to a good cup of coffee, or some wine from your cabin, and sit and enjoy the view from the sun deck was nice. (our first cruise also, a lot of people don't think Viking is fancy, but when you're use to camping, it's pretty sweet).

My only concern would be that for the money, you could have a really nice time w/ your friends, either renting a car, or taking trains. Pick a few places to base yourselves out off and wander. Fly open jaw, Home to Amsterdam, Prague/Munich/Budapest/wherever to Home. There is History and fun everywhere. Your group has a wide age range, as long as everyone is flexible you can have a blast. If your one friend has mobility issues, cobblestones can really put a damper on a trip if your feet are sore or you turn an ankle. A reality of being old, or younger and clumsy like me.

If you do wind up on the cruise, arrange your own airfare and fly into Amsterdam. One sure way to know you're not in Manitoba anymore. :rolleyes:

Either way, enjoy.

Edited by ural guy

Thanks for the info! I personally wanted to travel around England and Western Europe, but out of respect for the older member of our group, I let him choose the itinerary. On that note, we might go with Scenic or Avalon. It's a little bit more expensive (especially Scenic, GOOD GOD), but appears to be more worthwhile - especially with it being all-inclusive. Plus, you can choose from all sorts of amazing excursions.

We may wait longer to go in order to save extra, but honestly, with that level of service, plus with everything included minus the flights, I'm pretty darn impressed. For the extra few thousand dollars per person, it looks like you get much more "bang for your buck", suffice to say. Viking is still in my mind, but after looking a little more into Scenic and Avalon, I must say that it looks to provide many more options than just windmills and wood-framed houses. Don't get me wrong, those are nice, but... yeah. Other lines seem to offer MANY more excursions and unique features. I still can't get over Scenic, with dining at a castle, medieval style, watching Spanish horseback riders in that beautiful riding hall in Vienna, and then the private symphonic concert at the end. Just wow.

We're definitely going to arrange our own flights and insurance, regardless. Flying from Ottawa to Amsterdam won't be cheap, but hopefully we can find decent deals and maybe order our plane tickets well in advance to secure a deal. I'm curious of Scenic offers a 2 for 1 or 50% off special sometimes, or anything along those lines, so I'll keep an eye out for that. I'm used to camping and whatnot too - but for around $10,000 per person, I expect a trip more along the lines of what Scenic offers than Viking, which, frankly, seems lacklustre in comparison. I tried to change the thread title to "Regarding Viking, Scenic or Avalon..." but it wouldn't let me. Lol!

In the end a Cunard cruise is starting to look FAR cheaper than this, such as a Med voyage around Greece on Queen Victoria. Still, I know you have to pay for many services on those big luxury liners, so I'll still wait I think.

Edited by nicksfix

Vikings 2 for 1 is just a marketing ploy.... That is the per person price in case you had not figured it out. They always have the 2 for 1 it doesn't really expire. All the companies have last min specials which can be a decent deal as long as the airfare is still affordable.

We have had good luck with the cruise company arranging our last minute air to go with the last minute specials. Although ymmv, I would not reject cruise air out of hand whether booking last minute or well in advance.

For cheap airfare, try Air Transat.

In September, I'm flying direct, Toronto to Amsterdam round trip, for $720 usd.

I've read good and bad reviews, so fingers crossed. They also have direct flights to Budapest at certain times of the year.

Nick, we have this itinerary booked for September 2016, but we chose Tauck. At the time, we looked at AMA, Uniworld and Tauck, and Tauck wasn't all that much more than AMA and a bit cheaper than Uniworld. So it pays to comparison-shop. Tauck is more inclusive than some of the rest, btw. Didn't look at Scenic.

Amsterdam's a great city--make sure you get some extra time there!

We haven't decided how or where we're going to fly yet--flights don't open up for that timeframe until late fall I think.

Since we've been to Amsterdam several times, I'm thinking a few days in England first, and then a few days in Budapest after. Nice to have options.

Nick,

We began planning for our 2016 river cruise a while back & fully expected to take Viking until we read up a little more on here & did a bit more research. At this point, we think AMA is going to be the best fit for us (very active, early 60's), & the tour we're looking at will work out perfectly to extend our trip with a 12 day Rick Steve's tour out of Salzburg. Check out this site we stumbled upon that rates & compares the different cruise lines -- we found it very helpful! http://riverboatratings.com/ (I hope I'm allowed to include that on this site). If this post gets edited, email us at jblucca@cox.net & I'll send it to you.

Judy

PS Thank you to those of you who answered my earlier questions -- we really appreciate it!

Another vote for Tauck. Now that is all-inclusive! They even give you coins for the bathroom visits!

Tauck has some sailings that cater to people with kids and younger adults. That might work for you, or you may want to avoid those, depending on what you like. ;)

What you can do is in every port, do the walking tour with the group, then head off on your own. This won't be possible in every port because the boat moves sometimes, but for the ports where it doesn't, this would make it much more fun for you and your friends. You can head off to the pub, do a beer tasting, hop on a cable car, visit a museum or even bungee jump. Just make sure you're back to the boat in time. With Avalon, as you walk off the boat in the morning, they give you a map of where the ship is docked so you can easily find it at the end of the day.

We have never done Viking, since I always find a better price from another line.

Still, from others that have done Viking, I think you would be happy with the cruise.

Check out Vantage, it caters to North Americans.

River cruises are a great way to go if you want to see more places without driving, trains or tour buses.

Is this your first time in Europe?

If so, you will see some great places, but is you haven't been to Rome, Florence, Paris, London, etc. those places are better seen on by land and spending several days in each city.

My daughter graduates from college next May. We are considering a mom-daugther cruise on Viking -- Cities of Light. She knows that she will be the youngest and possibly the only young passenger on board but has chosen Viking over Emerald due to itinerary. (I've read that Emerald caters to a bit younger crowd). She is also a history buff. Whatever you decide, OP, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

Thanks for the info! I personally wanted to travel around England and Western Europe, but out of respect for the older member of our group, I let him choose the itinerary. On that note, we might go with Scenic or Avalon. It's a little bit more expensive (especially Scenic, GOOD GOD), but appears to be more worthwhile - especially with it being all-inclusive. Plus, you can choose from all sorts of amazing excursions.

We're definitely going to arrange our own flights and insurance, regardless. Flying from Ottawa to Amsterdam won't be cheap, but hopefully we can find decent deals and maybe order our plane tickets well in advance to secure a deal. I'm curious of Scenic offers a 2 for 1 or 50% off special sometimes, or anything along those lines, so I'll keep an eye out for that. I'm used to camping and whatnot too - but for around $10,000 per person, I expect a trip more along the lines of what Scenic offers than Viking, which, frankly, seems lacklustre in comparison. I tried to change the thread title to "Regarding Viking, Scenic or Avalon..." but it wouldn't let me. Lol!

In the end a Cunard cruise is starting to look FAR cheaper than this, such as a Med voyage around Greece on Queen Victoria. Still, I know you have to pay for many services on those big luxury liners, so I'll still wait I think.

My daughter graduates from college next May. We are considering a mom-daugther cruise on Viking -- Cities of Light. She knows that she will be the youngest and possibly the only young passenger on board but has chosen Viking over Emerald due to itinerary. (I've read that Emerald caters to a bit younger crowd). She is also a history buff. Whatever you decide, OP, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

My only concern for your daughter and for Nick and his friends on a river cruise is the lack of evening entertainment. When the youngsters are getting their second wind, the rest of us are heading off to bed!!

For what it's worth, I have an alternate suggestion. Since you're all interested in history and sight-seeing, why not take a week or 10 days and fly to Paris you with your daughter....and Nick, you and your friends fly to London. You can rent a VRBO for less than a hotel and get a feel of living in the city. You can also eat out for all your meals or eat in for b-fast and evening snacks. I'm suggesting this because DH and I had the wonderful good luck to live in London and it was absolutely wonderful. We got to feel like we really belonged and were able to visit all the museums and spend as much or as little as we pleased. Every time we had a day off we took a tour to somewhere else in the country like Stratford, Warwick, Salisbury, Dover, Canterbury....all of them day trips....all of them historic....in other words a graduation party to be remembered and if you feel like going out clubbing you can do that to, while the older gentleman can watch the telly.

Oh, Hydrokitty,

your post brings back memories of hours spent on crowded tube trains, clubbing at night and trying to learn English and working inbetween! I had a great time in London and would recommend it in a heartbeat.

It is a great place for young people indeed, nicksfix, and it is your celebration!

You can easily take the older folks along, run around London, and when they are out of breath, let them regather their strength on a bench in Hyde Park.

For that river feel you have the Thames, of course, and you can take short cruises on it.

From London you can still get to a river cruise by going to Amsterdam or Cologne and take it from there.

Hydrokitty, love Canterbury, one of my favourite places.

notamermaid

Oh, Hydrokitty,

your post brings back memories of hours spent on crowded tube trains, clubbing at night and trying to learn English and working inbetween! I had a great time in London and would recommend it in a heartbeat.

It is a great place for young people indeed, nicksfix, and it is your celebration!

You can easily take the older folks along, run around London, and when they are out of breath, let them regather their strength on a bench in Hyde Park.

For that river feel you have the Thames, of course, and you can take short cruises on it.

From London you can still get to a river cruise by going to Amsterdam or Cologne and take it from there.

Hydrokitty, love Canterbury, one of my favourite places.

notamermaid

notamermaid, now I really have a case of the nostalgia!

Sitting on a bench in Hyde Park is a MUST....especially if you're eating a banger on a stick that you bought from a guy with a pushcart!

We took a cruise on the Thames all the way to the flood control gates (DH is a civil engineer) and on the way back, just to make us New Yorkers feel at home, the police were fishing a body out of the river!! ahhhh.....good times. :rolleyes:

Canterbury was the first time I ever had to pay to use the bathroom in a Church!!!! But yes, I loved it too...although I think Stratford on Avon was my favorite...and the White Tower ..Marks & Sparks for MRE....and Harrod's for dessert... :)

Hello CPT Trips,

now I am really confused, where is this??? I only know the white tower in the Tower of London and that looks very different. :D

On the subject of going to Paris: It is a great idea also, I find. Lots to see in Paris and for the history people the Louvre is a great place to go and see all those pictures. When you are tired you can just sit down on one of the comfortable "sofas" and gaze at one painting for half an hour (or longer if you like :D).

And again there is the option of taking a day cruise on the Seine.

If anybody fancies going into Germany and taking a cruise there is the option of taking a day cruise in the Middle Rhine valley, as well.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Hello CPT Trips,

now I am really confused, where is this??? I only know the white tower in the Tower of London and that looks very different. :D

On the subject of going to Paris: It is a great idea also, I find. Lots to see in Paris and for the history people the Louvre is a great place to go and see all those pictures. When you are tired you can just sit down on one of the comfortable "sofas" and gaze at one painting for half an hour (or longer if you like :D).

And again there is the option of taking a day cruise on the Seine.

If anybody fancies going into Germany and taking a cruise there is the option of taking a day cruise in the Middle Rhine valley, as well.

notamermaid

CPT is making fun of us:D Actually, I didn't catch the White Tower name.....my favorite fast food on the planet is White Castle....White Castle hamburgers were enormously popular in the 50 and 60's. Each burger was about 2" square, flat like a piece of cheese and served with 2 paper thin pickle slices on a 2" bun. They used to cost 5 for $1 and you'd need 5 in order to feel like you'd eaten lunch! Like McDonald's golden arches, the White Castle stands were made to be just that....white castles. You can buy them in the supermarket now, but it's not the same. I think I remember seeing White Tower, but I'm not sure where. CPT?

Ah, the White Castle that looks exactly like the White Tower! And the coffee at 2:00 AM is just as good today as it was 40 years ago when I had my first sackfull. Fortunately I go by several White Castle locations once or twice a month. While I was still working it was every day, and many days I did not go by! :D

Ah, the White Castle that looks exactly like the White Tower! And the coffee at 2:00 AM is just as good today as it was 40 years ago when I had my first sackfull. Fortunately I go by several White Castle locations once or twice a month. While I was still working it was every day, and many days I did not go by! :D

OK....I know I remember seeing a White Tower somewhere, but where???? Is it a local chain...Oh and thanks for reminding me...we bought White Castle burgers by the sackful....I had forgotten that...and the coffee was delicious too.

Just pulling your leg. It's an old, out of business burger chain that was big in the 50s. Then it went downhill and died. Sort of like Wienerwald, without the rebirth. :p

ETA: The picture is an old Philly location, right by a subway stop. Subway as in UBahn, not sandwich shop.

Edited by CPT Trips

CPT is making fun of us:D Actually, I didn't catch the White Tower name.....my favorite fast food on the planet is White Castle....White Castle hamburgers were enormously popular in the 50 and 60's. Each burger was about 2" square, flat like a piece of cheese and served with 2 paper thin pickle slices on a 2" bun. They used to cost 5 for $1 and you'd need 5 in order to feel like you'd eaten lunch! Like McDonald's golden arches, the White Castle stands were made to be just that....white castles. You can buy them in the supermarket now, but it's not the same. I think I remember seeing White Tower, but I'm not sure where. CPT?

You are YOUNG! White Castle hamburgers used to be 12 cents ["buy them by the sack!"] -- when McDonalds started theirs were slightly bigger but cost 15 cents so we stayed loyal to White Castle. It is fashionable now to make fun of White Castle hamburgers -- the criticism is on target if you make the mistake of thinking of them as hamburgers. Change the paradigm to Meat Loaf Sandwiches, and you will realize how great they are! But yes, they need to be hot off the onion-laced griddle, not some frozen thing zapped in your microwave.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau