Tickets for the White Pass & Yukon Railroad

After researching here, we're opting to take the railroad/bus tour with a private company (most likely Chilkoot Charter) rather than with the cruise line.

Is it realistic to wait until arriving into port to buy tickets? I'm hesitant to pre-purchase tickets for our entire family due to the weather being so unpredictable.

We can't decide between the White Pass Summit Bus & Rail Excursion or splurge for the Bennett Scenic Journey. Would appreciate feedback about both excursions.

Huge thank you to everyone on this board.

1st time cruiser

taking the plunge in Alaska

You are 100% correct. Any trip on the WPYR beyond the summit does require that you bring along a passport. A U.S. citizen does not require a passport to enter Canada but our customs people need to see it to ensure that the U.S. Customs will let you back into Alaska.

You are 100% correct. Any trip on the WPYR beyond the summit does require that you bring along a passport. A U.S. citizen does not require a passport to enter Canada but our customs people need to see it to ensure that the U.S. Customs will let you back into Alaska.

Canada requires a passport because of the WHTI Act.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

On the Bennett Scenic Journey last July, a passport was REQUIRED for entering Canada (at Fraser), on the way back, the driver just gave a list (manifest) to the US official and we were on our way. No passports checked.

Canadian officials did indeed do a passport check on the train and on Chilkoot's description of the tour on their website, bold type, all caps, a passport is required. Chilkoot also asked to see passports (just the outside) before they would let you on the van!

Canada requires a passport because of the WHTI Act.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

This is incorrect information.

WHTI only requires an American citizen or any one else to have a passport (or other WHTI approved travel document) to enter the US. Currently there is absolutely no Canadian legislation that requires an American citizen to have a passport to enter Canada, they only have to show ID. From a practical perspective a passport (or other WHTI approved travel document) is "requested" to be sighted by CBSA only as a form of ID and to ensure the American citizen will be able to re-enter the US.