Vantage - French Waterways

CPT Trips

We are seriously considering this cruise on River Discovery II. I read the reviews, most look pretty good with a couple of the bad ones being either "our hit wonders" or water level problems.

We are very interested in hearing first hand accounts from those who have done this cruise or this ship.

How is the Vantage air department, easy to deal with?

And the last question, does Vantage do anything special for "frequent GCT cruisers" who are first time Vantage cruisers?

We are seriously considering this cruise on River Discovery II. I read the reviews, most look pretty good with a couple of the bad ones being either "our hit wonders" or water level problems.

We are very interested in hearing first hand accounts from those who have done this cruise or this ship.

And the last question, does Vantage do anything special for "frequent GCT cruisers" who are first time Vantage cruisers?

I was on River Discovery II in late March - early April 2015 (there was a very poor review from someone on the same cruise; that was not my experience). We missed one day of sailing due to high water, and I thought it was handled very well - we were kept informed and got an additional museum trip and a free cocktail party added.

On our first Vantage trip (2010) we did get to use the equivalent of our GCT travel credits, but I THINK that was a one time special and not offered any more - but you can ask.

Thom

I use Vantage air 99% of the time and have always been pleased. But I also live in NYC area and fly from JFK where there are so many options. Since you live near Philly, I would imagine you have the same choices. If you want a particular airline or flight, and it's your first trip with Vantage, they MAY charge $100 extra. After you've traveled with them 3x that fee is waived. Having said that, if you are not happy with the flight arrangements they make for you let them know as soon as possible and they'll change them. Of course if you upgrade to business class (and we do) it's a whole new ballgame (in a good way). Usually preliminary flight schedule will be posted on your portfolio within 90 days of booking unless you book over a year ahead.

As to getting a frequent GCT bonus....I have no idea. I know both GCT and Vantage are owned by brothers....but I don't know if they work together now...I would certainly ask...doesn't cost anything and you might get lucky! :D

I was on River Discovery II in late March - early April 2015 (there was a very poor review from someone on the same cruise; that was not my experience). We missed one day of sailing due to high water, and I thought it was handled very well - we were kept informed and got an additional museum trip and a free cocktail party added.

On our first Vantage trip (2010) we did get to use the equivalent of our GCT travel credits, but I THINK that was a one time special and not offered any more - but you can ask.

Thom

Good to hear. What were your impressions of the ship itself (and the meals), especially compared to GCT's Rhein/Danube fleet?

I use Vantage air 99% of the time and have always been pleased. But I also live in NYC area and fly from JFK where there are so many options. Since you live near Philly, I would imagine you have the same choices. If you want a particular airline or flight, and it's your first trip with Vantage, they MAY charge $100 extra. After you've traveled with them 3x that fee is waived. Having said that, if you are not happy with the flight arrangements they make for you let them know as soon as possible and they'll change them. Of course if you upgrade to business class (and we do) it's a whole new ballgame (in a good way). Usually preliminary flight schedule will be posted on your portfolio within 90 days of booking unless you book over a year ahead.

As to getting a frequent GCT bonus....I have no idea. I know both GCT and Vantage are owned by brothers....but I don't know if they work together now...I would certainly ask...doesn't cost anything and you might get lucky! :D

Vantage is offering an air special now for the cruise we are considering. PHL is the most convenient for us although it has fewer options than JFK or EWR, it's worth the hundred dollar premium we have paid not to need to hassle with travel up the turnpike to those airports.

Vantage is offering an air special now for the cruise we are considering. PHL is the most convenient for us although it has fewer options than JFK or EWR, it's worth the hundred dollar premium we have paid not to need to hassle with travel up the turnpike to those airports.

Did you have to pay the $100 just to book in and out of PHL???? I paid it because they booked me on Delta and I don't like Delta so I asked to be booked on Lufthansa and that was well worth the $100. Now since I've traveled with them 7x they automatically book me on LH, except for my next one in August, which is on.....wait for it....Delta! They know I'm not happy, but it was the only non-stop and the departure time is 8 p.m. with a 9:30 a.m. arrival as opposed to our usual 5:30 a.m. arrival in Frankfort!! How did you make out with the GCT credits?

And, Happy Fourth of July in the city that started it all!!!! :D

Did you have to pay the $100 just to book in and out of PHL???? I paid it because they booked me on Delta and I don't like Delta so I asked to be booked on Lufthansa and that was well worth the $100. Now since I've traveled with them 7x they automatically book me on LH, except for my next one in August, which is on.....wait for it....Delta! They know I'm not happy, but it was the only non-stop and the departure time is 8 p.m. with a 9:30 a.m. arrival as opposed to our usual 5:30 a.m. arrival in Frankfort!! How did you make out with the GCT credits?

And, Happy Fourth of July in the city that started it all!!!! :D

No. That's the typical fare differential for PHL - it varies depending on airline voodoo and phase of the moon.

Lots more thinking before we book. There is also a GCT trip, extra days in Paris and a 43 pax ship, on the table.

No. That's the typical fare differential for PHL - it varies depending on airline voodoo and phase of the moon.

Lots more thinking before we book. There is also a GCT trip, extra days in Paris and a 43 pax ship, on the table.

a 43 passenger ship has got to cost a lot more than anybody's regular river cruise! I didn't know GCT had them that small, or is 43 a typo? :D

I like your description of how air fares are determined!! I don't understand why there's a difference in the price of a seat from NY, Boston, DC or PHI.....it's not like there's a noticeable difference in the distance.

a 43 passenger ship has got to cost a lot more than anybody's regular river cruise! I didn't know GCT had them that small, or is 43 a typo? :D

I like your description of how air fares are determined!! I don't understand why there's a difference in the price of a seat from NY, Boston, DC or PHI.....it's not like there's a noticeable difference in the distance.

Oops! Should be 46 pax. Surprisingly the per diem cost is close.

provence-g32622

We did the French Waterways cruise about 18 months ago and loved it. We were impressed with the ship, the food and the crew. We would do that cruise again.

That's encouraging, thanks.

Costs are about the same, but competition isn't. Airline fares are based on what the traffic will bear, which is why they can raise rates and make the onboard experience so un-bearable. [pun intended]

Good to hear. What were your impressions of the ship itself (and the meals), especially compared to GCT's Rhein/Danube fleet?
River Discovery II was built in 2012, so roughly 10 years newer than most of the GCT fleet. Twin beds are moveable, so you are able to push them together (actually they were together when we arrived. I thought the boat was nicer than GCCL (I've been on Adagio, Bizet, Debussy, Chanson, and several other GCCL river boats), and food was about the same as GCT. We were early in the season, and the crew still had a few rough edges, but nothing bad.

Thom

No. That's the typical fare differential for PHL - it varies depending on airline voodoo and phase of the moon. Lots more thinking before we book. There is also a GCT trip, extra days in Paris and a 43 pax ship, on the table.

VOO-DOO is only allowed out of New Orleans. :eek:

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
removed bolding

River Discovery II was built in 2012, so roughly 10 years newer than most of the GCT fleet. Twin beds are moveable, so you are able to push them together (actually they were together when we arrived. I thought the boat was nicer than GCCL (I've been on Adagio, Bizet, Debussy, Chanson, and several other GCCL river boats), and food was about the same as GCT. We were early in the season, and the crew still had a few rough edges, but nothing bad.

Thom

The Pullman beds never bothered us, and we often get the beds separated on ocean cruise as the gives more useable cabin space. I guess we'll make that decision onboard.

A nicer ship than the GCT fleet sounds good as long as it isn't the bordello decor of certain othe lines. ;). We'll be late in the season, so the edges ought to be rubbed smooth . . .

Thanks for the info, it's reassuring . . . Seems like we are in a no lose choice.

The Pullman beds never bothered us, and we often get the beds separated on ocean cruise as the gives more useable cabin space. I guess we'll make that decision onboard.

A nicer ship than the GCT fleet sounds good as long as it isn't the bordello decor of certain othe lines. ;). We'll be late in the season, so the edges ought to be rubbed smooth . . .

Thanks for the info, it's reassuring . . . Seems like we are in a no lose choice.

Vantage will configure the room the way you want it. All rooms, except singles of course, have two beds that can be together or apart....and you can have them changed after you've seen your room if you wish.

Vantage can be described in many ways...bordello decor (and I DO know what you mean) would not be one of them!! :D

Finally got around to calling . . . Not booked yet. The phone rep said:

- they will accept my new pax referral from a fellow ccer and

- they will accept my GCT "travel credit" up to $250 p.p. Although I don't know how I "prove it" yet.

This is a nice saving, particularly when they are also offering half price air. Well maybe not truly 1/2 price, but way better than what I can find, and it does include transfers.

It's looking real good!

Finally got around to calling . . . Not booked yet. The phone rep said:

- they will accept my new pax referral from a fellow ccer and

- they will accept my GCT "travel credit" up to $250 p.p. Although I don't know how I "prove it" yet.

This is a nice saving, particularly when they are also offering half price air. Well maybe not truly 1/2 price, but way better than what I can find, and it does include transfers.

It's looking real good!

I'm glad you had such success....I wouldn't worry about proving your GCT credit, I'm sure they can find it out through their computers....especially since both companies are owned by the same family. The brothers may not speak to each other, but that doesn't mean their employees don't. If they said they'd accept it, unless they asked you to prove it, I would consider it done.....after you come home you'll have 5% of your trip to apply to your next Vantage trip...As for the air, I found the same thing with the single exception of my last trip, which was to Canada. I have never been able to beat Vantage, especially for the business class fare. This last one, I think because we live in NY and flew out of LGA, we got a really good fare from Air Canada and when I priced it with Vantage I saved several hundred $$ by booking direct with AC..and the stretch limo for 4 of us in Vancouver was less than buying the transfers! Right now the $ is very strong against the C$.

Edited by Hydrokitty