Loyalty Match....Very Clever or Risky

Having today received an email from MSC that tells me about their new Loyalty Match Program, which offers to match benefits of other cruise lines and hotel programs. I have to ask how people would feel if Royal attempted to do something similar.

Personally I feel as if whilst it is a clever promotion, if other cruisers that had not sailed loyally with Royal got the same benefits as I do by gaining cruise points, then I would not be that impressed. I know that Royal have a partial program with Celebrity, but that is within the same group, what do you think ?

There are websites devoted to status challenges and status matches in airline and hotel programs. Some are easy, some require work. It's smart business if you're competing for a shrinking travel market.

It would probably be more effective in the cruise industry as a challenge program (e.g, you're D on RCCL, we'll match status for a year and if you cruise twice, you'll retain the status).

And when you're boarding the plane, no one knows or cares how you got your gold or platinum card...

there are websites devoted to status challenges and status matches in airline and hotel programs. Some are easy, some require work. It's smart business if you're competing for a shrinking travel market.

It would probably be more effective in the cruise industry as a challenge program (e.g, you're d on rccl, we'll match status for a year and if you cruise twice, you'll retain the status).

And when you're boarding the plane, no one knows or cares how you got your gold or platinum card...

deleted

Edited by skyking

I tend to agree that I might feel a bit cheated if RCL started giving first time cruisers the same benefits as those of us who have gained the benefits through multiple cruises. I can see it might be good marketing though and perhaps if they just offered something smaller it might help entice those from other lines to try them.

Do you have any details of the MSC program, we have our first cruise with them booked for January and would be glad of any benefits.

Julie

I tend to agree that I might feel a bit cheated if RCL started giving first time cruisers the same benefits as those of us who have gained the benefits through multiple cruises. I can see it might be good marketing though and perhaps if they just offered something smaller it might help entice those from other lines to try them.

Do you have any details of the MSC program, we have our first cruise with them booked for January and would be glad of any benefits.

Julie

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/MSC/loyalty-match-program.aspx

Julie

We really enjoyed our cruise on the Divina last Oct, it was up there as one of the best. ENJOY!

Having today received an email from MSC that tells me about their new Loyalty Match Program, which offers to match benefits of other cruise lines and hotel programs. I have to ask how people would feel if Royal attempted to do something similar.

I think it would be a stupid idea. If all the cruise lines start loyalty matching, it would defeat the whole purpose of the loyalty programs. This seems like a desperate move on MSC's part, and I really hope the others don't follow suit.

I think it would be a stupid idea. If all the cruise lines start loyalty matching, it would defeat the whole purpose of the loyalty programs. This seems like a desperate move on MSC's part, and I really hope the others don't follow suit.

I agree with you and hope others do not follow suit but I think it's a brilliant move on the part of MSC who is trying to make a name for itself and establish a North American base.

Just been on the phone to MSC in the UK and have been told this match is only available to US and Brazilian cruisers not those in the rest of the world.

Apparently they are already getting complaints in the UK office. Not such clever marketing after all, if other people think like me it will give MSC a bad name in Europe.

Julie

Personally I feel as if whilst it is a clever promotion, if other cruisers that had not sailed loyally with Royal got the same benefits as I do by gaining cruise points, then I would not be that impressed. I know that Royal have a partial program with Celebrity, but that is within the same group, what do you think ?

Seems kind of petty to get all worked up about how someone else got benefits. You know why you got them, who gives a dip why someone else has them???:confused:

I like it. Since I am not chasing points, any reciprocal with another line is a huge plus for us

It gives travelers an opportunity to try a different brand, and still get some benefits. Not sure I would have sailed Celebrity without some sort of reciprocal. Granted it is not a complete equal ( as the benefits for both lines stop at Elite and D) but that is OK and I liked being a relatively new cruiser to the line and receiving perks. (Just a side note - a few years back there were some angry CC Celebrity folks who did not like the RCCL folks gaining Elite status without "earning" it. They were vocal on the boards. Many posts started with, "I am Elite and earned it...." ) Back to the topic.....

We have friends who sail Princess and NCL. They want us to sail with them but we don't want to sail a ship and have no perks. If we had an opportunity to turn our C&A status into some perk with other lines, we might consider it.

We've taken advantage of the Mlife benefits and are treated well when we visit an Mlife property. No one asks if we obtained the Mlife status by gambling big money or through some sort of reciprocal.

M

I can understand the issues with granting status to those who have not earned it. Wasn't there an uproar when the reduced status entrance into the Concierge Lounge? Don't we hear issues when there are so many crowding the Diamond Lounge?

Imagine what it would be like when there were extra guests who got status up to D and D+ because they had high status on another, unrelated line. Crowds, jammed lounges, that sort of thing.

It sounds like an interesting marketing gimmick but I imagine their long time cruisers are going to revolt as well.

Seems kind of petty to get all worked up about how someone else got benefits. You know why you got them, who gives a dip why someone else has them???:confused:

100% agree, of course this brings out the cruisers who cruise for points, levels, and status and those that don't read the terms and conditions:p

"Conversion will be executed by MSC Cruises based on objective criteria and may only be done once per consumer)."

Yep that's right, once to get you on their cruise line and maybe you will come back. I think its a great idea to lure a new cruiser to try your ships

"Conversion will be executed by MSC Cruises based on objective criteria and may only be done once per consumer)."

Yep that's right, once to get you on their cruise line and maybe you will come back. I think its a great idea to lure a new cruiser to try your ships

I'm with you on this one. As a 1 time offer just to get people on board, I think this is a pretty good idea. Although I'm curious how they're able to verify status on another cruise line.

I'm with you on this one. As a 1 time offer just to get people on board, I think this is a pretty good idea. Although I'm curious how they're able to verify status on another cruise line.

Me too. I looked at the MSC application, and it looked like they wanted some sort of card number. Maybe I've misplaced it, but I don't think I have any card with my C&A level.

Edited by clarea

On the MSC form it asks that you upload a copy of your status card.......

I'm Diamond with Royal but have no card?? I also wonder would I be better off sending a copy of my Marriott Platinum or SPG Platinum card. Since it's the hotel's highest status would that be better than Royal diamond???

Julie

You would feel cheated if RCL did it. However you want details of the MSC program in hopes you can capitalize on it and grab benefits.

See in irony here? :rolleyes:

You would feel cheated if RCL did it. However you want details of the MSC program in hopes you can capitalize on it and grab benefits.

Yes I do see, but the point is that MSC are doing it anyway and I'm sure no one would turn it down if its available.

I often feel cheated that RCL cruisers in the US can get things like an RCL visa card or can book multiple cruises then get their deposits refunded if they decide to cancel, all things not available to us in the UK,however I would never begrudge any of you taking them up on this offer, good luck to you:)

Julie

Everyone is a hypocrite, just another part of the human condition. I doubt anyone would turn down the benefits on principal.

Edited by OSUZorba

Never said I was getting "Worked Up", I just said I would be less than impressed. Yes I know how I got my points, by spending a lot of money with a company, and therefore do feel it bizarre that some one could match my benefits without doing the same. But as previously stated recognize it as a good move by MSC to hopefully attract cruisers from other companies. :eek: