Live - Jewel of the Seas 26 Sept - 10 Oct 2015 Bill & Marie's 1st B2B

PCWalton1

Hello all,

Hopefully I am not too early to kick this off but I am too excited to wait. For those that do not know me I am Bill and I live near Seattle with my amazing wife Marie. We only started cruising about 5 1/2 years ago but are hooked and try to get a cruise in whenever work allows.

For the past few years we have cruised in the fall for several weeks, either to Hawaii or through the Panama Canal. This year we wanted to take advantage of the Jewel being out west cruise the California coast. Since the cruises were just a week we decided it was the perfect time to do our first back to back cruises.

So here is our expected itinerary:

21698418151_43b2d16c2f_z.jpg

21689219065_e30af51110_z.jpg

(I know they are both the same but I am still excited about the B2B :p)

We were a little late to the party for booking so there was not a lot of choices left for getting the same cabin for both cruises. We wanted an outside cabin but had to settle for an inside.

The cabin will not be good for wifi down on deck 3 but we found out back in May while riding Jewel that the wifi hotspots are extremely limited anyway so cabin location really did not matter. In May we had a cabin on Deck seven close to the Business Center but still had to open the cabin door to get a decent wifi signal. :eek:

At least we are close to the elevators. :)

21698417931_106a3d3c11_b.jpg

Looking forward to this Bill.:)

So are we Bob. :)

Looking forward to your comments about the ship as we will be boarding her in January. I have very much enjoyed our past cruises on the Radiance class ships.

We had a great time on Jewel back in May and planning for more of the same.

As far as activities we are front loading so most of the organized tours are on the first cruise.

For the first stop in Santa Barbara we are going on a tour organized by a fellow cruisers. This is the itinerary

We will be picked up at the port and taken to 3 wineries and lunch is included. The wine tours Include:

• A private vehicle and driver just for you and your group

• All of your tasting fees included in the pricing

• A gourmet picnic lunch

• Planning by one of our experienced tour directors

• A fun filled day of wine and friends

The first day in San Francisco we will be taking the evening cruise to Alcatraz. During my Navy career I was stationed three separate times in the bay area but never made it to Alcatraz.

Voted 'Best Tour of the Bay Area,' the Alcatraz Night Tour provides a more intimate, engaging Alcatraz experience. This tour includes a personally narrated boat tour around the island; guided tours from the dock to the main prison building; 'Doing Time: The Alcatraz Cellhouse Tour' and a variety of special programs and presentations offered only at night. Enjoy a sunset silhouetting the Golden Gate Bridge and breath-taking views of San Francisco as night falls. A truly exceptional experience.

The following morning we are taking a tour to Muir Woods and Sausalito.

Drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and through the coastal mountains to the Bay Area's most popular national monument - Muir Woods.

Roam through an ancient forest of giant redwood trees and stroll the waterfront of the quaint Mediterranean-style village of Sausalito (considered the prettiest city in California). Great views of the Bay are featured with time for shopping and photo-taking.

In Monterey it is more touring of vineyards

The sightseeing tour will first start along the rugged coast of Monterey, Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach (17 Mile Drive) where we will make stops at Bird Rock, the Lone Cypress and the Pebble Beach Lodge to enjoy the beautiful scenery and observe marine wildlife. After the sightseeing tour, we will then drive to Carmel Valley to visit Chateau Julien Wine Estate where we will try their excellent selection of Monterey County wines during a walking tour of the Estate and enjoy a picnic lunch on the patio. The tour will finish with a visit to Morgan tasting room to try their premium wines.

Definitely following along, will see you on the 3rd when it is our turn to join you. Safe travels!!

Let us know about the menus, formal nights, etc. Since this is a unique cruise, kinda hard to plan much other than excursions.

Thanks!

YEAH!! This is just what we need to get us through this LONG week of waiting our turn...joining you for the Oct 3rd cruise. :)

Can't wait to follow you during this first week......love your comment about the itineraries being the same....so what!!! Who cares your on a cruise!! :D

Have fun, keep the ship is good shape and hope you have smooth sails and great weather!

The cabin will not be good for wifi down on deck 3 but we found out back in May while riding Jewel that the wifi hotspots are extremely limited anyway so cabin location really did not matter. In May we had a cabin on Deck seven close to the Business Center but still had to open the cabin door to get a decent wifi signal. :eek:

Late breaking news!

They are currently "working on upgrading the Wifi on the Jewel" as we type.

:D

I like to load my Kindle up with books that pertain to the ports so this time I have all 9 of the Armistead Maupin "Tales of the City" series. It takes place in San Francisco in the mid 1970s. For those not familiar here's a brief synopsis I pilfered from online. :p

The series opens with the arrival of Mary Ann Singleton, a naive young woman from Cleveland, Ohio, who is visiting San Francisco on vacation when she impulsively decides to stay. She finds an apartment at 28 Barbary Lane, the domain of the eccentric, marijuana-growing landlady Anna Madrigal. Mary Ann becomes friends with other tenants of the building: the hippyish bisexual Mona Ramsey; heterosexual lothario Brian Hawkins; the sinister and cagey roof tenant Norman Neal Williams; and Michael Tolliver, a sweet and personable gay man known to friends as Mouse (as in Mickey Mouse).

Beyond the house, lovers and friends guide Mary Ann through her San Franciscan adventures: Edgar Halcyon, Mary Ann's and Mona's boss; Edgar's socialite daughter DeDe Halcyon-Day; and DeDe's scheming bisexual husband Beauchamp Day all provide a glimpse into a more affluent Californian class, while Mrs. Madrigal's mother and owner of the Blue Moon Lodge brothel, Mother Mucca, brings mystery and comic relief. Mona's ex-lover, D'orothea Wilson, returns from a modelling assignment in New York, while Michael's lover and DeDe's gynecologist, Jon Fielding, becomes part of the social group. Michael's lovers later in the series include Thack Sweeney and the significantly younger Ben McKenna.

Ok, so not that brief.

PBS broadcasted quite a while ago a mini series of the first book and it was great so I am finally getting around to the books.

21069423394_30f5582359_n.jpg

I kind of already started and am on book two already, they are entertaining and a quick read.

So excited to follow along, Bill! Always enjoy your travelogues. It will be fun to see these cities through your eyes.

PS. Does Marie know about Gloria?? :D

LOL, that is just one of her many aliases [emoji14]

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Did Marie prefer Marie instead of Gloria? :D I ask because my Bill is actually Herbert. :D

Since we have seen your lovely photos so often, maybe we will have the opportunity to say "Hi" we are meeting friends also onboard on Monday afternoon, for a little touring and dinner.

Edited by Coralc

Did Marie prefer Marie instead of Gloria? :D I ask because my Bill is actually Herbert. :D

She was born Marie Gloria but goes by just Marie. She didn't want the Gloria half to just fade away so she uses that one all her official identification.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

We got a room at Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. Picked it up at a great price on Priceline, just $109.

21072987563_6e45d5f0f4_b.jpg

Not only is the price great it is a short trip from the hotel to the pier. :)

21507215239_2d5eca67d0_b.jpg

From what I have been told the hotel has a free shuttle to the pier. Can't get any easier than that. :D