Quick Questions re Doing Laundry on QM2

EastCoastLilac

Hi, earlier I read on the Voyage Personaliser that Washing Tabs are available for Purchase.

Do I buy a Tab from a Vending Machine? Currency needed? Coins or Bills?

Is there a pull out or such Clothesline on the Shower Rod in the cabin bathroom?

If there is a clothesline, are there clothespegs/pins available or should I bring some onboard?

I'd like to wash little, quick drying articles of clothing to hang overnight in the bathroom.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

Here's my experience:

Hi, earlier I read on the Voyage Personaliser that Washing Tabs are available for Purchase.

Do I buy a Tab from a Vending Machine? Currency needed? Coins or Bills?

Detergent packs are free and in a dispenser in the laundry room. Machines are free.

Is there a pull out or such Clothesline on the Shower Rod in the cabin bathroom? If there is a clothesline, are there clothespegs/pins available or should I bring some onboard?

PG had pull out lines, not sure about shower stalls in standard staterooms. No pegs or pins provided.

I'd like to wash little, quick drying articles of clothing to hang overnight in the bathroom. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

Biggest challenge will be finding an available washer or dryer.

On my last voyage I used a laundry room only for quick touch up ironing. Whenever I went in all the machines were in continuous use. If your budget allows, the cost of ship's full service laundry is considerable less expensive than the services of an anger management counselor. :rolleyes:

"If your budget allows, the cost of ship's full service laundry is considerable less expensive than the services of an anger management counselor."

:p BlueRiband, Thanks for the chuckle! :D

I'll be in a Britannia Sheltered Balcony cabin. Wash smalls in the bathroom sink or shower if need be, then if there's no clothesline, I could dry well on a towel and then put the items on hanger(s) on the shower rod. Improvise ...

I didn't plan on doing any laundry in the machines, but just in case the trousers/slacks need doing after the land trip, wanted to be prepared. The Voyage Personaliser today said tabs were for purchase. Nice to hear they are free for use.

Thanks.

Britannia shower stalls do have a clothesline, although I can't vouch for their efficiency. We've used the laundry rooms from time to time, but as a rule we've found it much easier on the nerves, as BlueRiband suggests, to let the ship take care of things for you. The service is a bit pricey, but they do an excellent job, and who wants to spend a day at sea fretting over the wash?

On our QM2 crossing last month the same applied as BlueRibband stated above...washer/dryers/detergent were all free. We were in a Britannia stateroom and there was indeed a pull-across line in the shower, however, it is quite small and just really held our two bathing suits side by side. No pins were provided.

We had a stateroom directly next to the laundry on Deck 5 so we were able to wash clothes twice [smallish loads each time] during the week but our location helped for sure. Sometimes there were lines of people waiting, especially on the first day and last day of the trip. I was a little worried about the location being loud but it really didn't cause much noise save for the overheard conversation of a loud talker now and then haha! Anyway, they lock up the laundry at 9.30pm so it never interrupted our sleep.

Enjoy your crossing! It is a trip you will never forget.

We always have hand-laundry (DH exercises daily so there are exercise clothes to wash as well as the occasional pair of socks etc).

We have found the air flow in the shower to be excellent for having these things dry within 24 hours.

Have a wonderful voyage! Happy Sailing!

"Thaxted ...and who wants to spend a day at sea fretting over the wash?"

I hear you on this.

"Bostonjetset: ...Anyway, they lock up the laundry at 9.30pm so it never interrupted our sleep."

I planned to do a late night/overnight laundry within a quiet laundry room, something smooth in a glass and now that image is shattered. Oh well, guess Cunard doesn't run on my time, lol.

"jimmybean: We have found the air flow in the shower to be excellent for having these things dry within 24 hours.

Have a wonderful voyage! Happy Sailing!"

Thanks all, and I'll pack the pins.

Like several others, we hand wash socks and some underwear and send everything else to the ships laundry. We carry a couple of small plastic suction cups and a length of 1/8" nylon rope so we can hang a 2nd line inside the shower.

Bob

In the Britannia cabins, the laundry line in the shower is indeed small, but so are your smalls! At least I hope so. Anyway, I use the line to dry out my T-shirt and gym shorts after exercising and they are dry by the next morning. Note it's a bit humid in the bathroom/shower, so attempting to dry very wet stuff is a bit of a problem. Beware, the laundry rooms are some of the busiest spots on the ship, and some PAX can get very possessive!

"Thaxted ...and who wants to spend a day at sea fretting over the wash?"

I hear you on this.

"Bostonjetset: ...Anyway, they lock up the laundry at 9.30pm so it never interrupted our sleep."

I planned to do a late night/overnight laundry within a quiet laundry room, something smooth in a glass and now that image is shattered. Oh well, guess Cunard doesn't run on my time, lol.

"jimmybean: We have found the air flow in the shower to be excellent for having these things dry within 24 hours.

Have a wonderful voyage! Happy Sailing!"

Thanks all, and I'll pack the pins.

Oh dear, I was going to suggest getting up early.

I was disappointed in the launderette on our crossing this summer. No fights and no good gossip.