More ships needed for hurricane relief!

eroller

Seatrade Insider reports the MSC (Military Sealift Command) is looking for more passenger ships to help with hurricane relief. Something like a total of 25,000 berths are needed, and currently they have around 8000 with the three Carnival ships and the SCOTIA PRINCE.

Expect more cruise lines to step up to the plate soon.

Ernie

Being that these poor souls have not had food, water or proper sanitary conditions for days, how in the world are they going to control illness in the closed quarters of a cruise ship? That seems like a nightmare waiting to happen to me.

What do you think? :confused:

I also know they are airlifting people all over the country to other areas. We have received 350 people by Air National Guard in our county and another 350 came by bus to a neighboring county. They are moving people all over to spread out the aid and assist people.

I do agree about the close quarters. It may be difficult to contain sanitary condidtions.

Being that these poor souls have not had food, water or proper sanitary conditions for days, how in the world are they going to control illness in the closed quarters of a cruise ship? That seems like a nightmare waiting to happen to me.

What do you think? :confused:

I think depending on how the people staying on the ships are handled, it can’t be any worse than being left to rot in the Superdome or Convention Center. At least – we assume – on board the ships the toilets will flush.

Just crious on the details

Carnival's Holiday, Sensation, and Ecstasy, plus a ferry were chartered by FEMA to house the elderly and the infirm. Carnival cancelled cruises on Holiday, the Sensation, and the Elation for at least the next 6 months. All Ecstasy cruises were transferred over to the Elation.

Osi: It's unlikely any "newer" ships will be used for these purposes, the Carnival ships involved are all much older than any ships Princess sails (except maybe Regal?). I think with the annoucements this weekend of survivors being airlifted to shelters and military bases around the country, they (hopefully) won't be needing any more cruiseships for housing.

Well Ernie, if Princess turns over the Caribbean Princess for 6 months and cancels my three cruises, just DO NOT make me have to sail on Royal Caribbean again. I don't think MY stomach could take it!!LOL:p

I sure would miss the Movies Under The Stars though, but I am certain I'd still take the flights I already have booked and find something else to do without whining about how my cruise got cancelled. How about you?;)

Please say hi to C from Patty and myself.:)

They are trying to use the cruise ships to relieve crowding in the shelters but many don't want to be displaced again so are turning it down. The shelters are supposed to be temporary situations since they are living on cots in one large room--no privacy but, right now, they are so glad to be there. I would think they will get tired of that pretty quick.

Hard to believe, but I'm not in their shoes. :(

One of the reasons - Seems a lot don't want to leave because of a minister that is conducting services and counseling in the Astrodome. Another is not wanting to be separated from loved ones.

PS _ This is really going to get those over on the Carnival board that have been griping that their cruise was cancelled. :eek:

My heart goes out to these poor people that have been through so much. They probably just don't want to move and change again, this is the first time that they have felt even a little secure since this all started.And so many are still trying to locate family members and think the shelter is the best chance for that. Give it some time and some will want to take the offer hopefully once it is all figured out and explained to them. I am 59 yrs old and never thought I would see anything like this in the United States, after 9/11 I thought I had seen everything but now not so sure. It sure make us here on the west coast think twice about preparing better for the "big one" earthquake we have all be told could come. God Bless all those souls who are displaced and have lost loved ones, and those who are there Red Cross , Salvation Army, FEMA , National Guard, and just plain folks, doing their best to help.

Cori

I'll bet that if another hurricane comes toward them, they will wish that they were on a ship that could take them away to safe waters. :eek:

I don't think it is being on the water as much as it is leaving behind the lifestyle they are just beginning to get use to. That, along with fear of not finding loved ones.

Our city was expecting 100 evacuees today and we were told last evening that they may not be coming. Seems they can't get anyone that wants to move away too far from NO. Understandable, but difficult for those cities that are bursting at the seems. Not to mention the volunteers that are overtaxed.

I'll bet that if another hurricane comes toward them, they will wish that they were on a ship that could take them away to safe waters. :eek:

I don't think it is being on the water as much as it is leaving behind the lifestyle they are just beginning to get use to. That, along with fear of not finding loved ones.

Our city was expecting 100 evacuees today and we were told last evening that they may not be coming. Seems they can't get anyone that wants to move away too far from NO. Understandable, but difficult for those cities that are bursting at the seems. Not to mention the volunteers that are overtaxed.

I agree, Otis Air Force Base was ready for 2500 since yesterday - no one showed up and this morning we were told they are not coming for reasons such as finding family, dealing with insurance, too far away from home, etc.

I guess I can't blame them. Our Red Sox pitcher, Curt Schilling took in a family of NINE and made a one year commitment to them.:) Personally, I don't think they will stay that long once things start to get better in the gulf region.:)

We are getting about 1400 of them starting tomorrow. We have Fort Pickett, and they are getting 1,000. Then the United Methodist Assembly Center, which is located in Blackstone, VA is getting about 400. I hope we can help them, and feel this is a good thing, but we talked to some military folks stationed at Pickett tonight and they were told to expect the "worst of the worst". They were also told to start locking their doors and keeping their possessions safe. That is so sad. We are all wondering what kind of people we will be getting. I work at Social Services, but we have been told that we will not have any dealings with them. I guess FEMA or Red Cross or someone is planning on doing everything. But I can't imagine that we wouldn't have dealings with them some time or another. We are leaving Friday for a cruise on the GB on Saturday. No telling what we will find when we get back!

Always the coffee jokes. LOL. Today's paper quoted several of the evacuees saying they are now terrified by the thought of living on the water. Many cannot swim either.

I lived down there for four years, and believe me, we had decent coffee there 20 years ago before Starbucks and such were even conceived. Nice strong coffee, bread, etc. Best way to start the day. The swimming part does not surprise me, as that part of the Gulf coast does not exactly lend itself to swimming :D One has to go west to Lake Charles or way east to find decent swimming.

To Nugsmon,

As a military spouse,

I think it is very unappropriate for the military personnel at Fort Pickett to even perpetuate a rumor,telling people to lock their doors and posessions.

They are making an asumption about evacuees that they know nothing about.

Making statements "they are the worse of worse" is unbelievable.

Since so many people have taken families into their homes,I am glad every one isn't as narrow minded as they are.

Narrow mindness and ignorance perpetuates discrimination.

Betty anne

Archived