Bringing alcohol on board

Newneuey

You best duck after your post. You can use the search function right under the Cruise Critic Banner and type the same question to search. This is a very hot topic with each side taking a very firm stand on their views. I have taken in my carry on luggage a bottle for in room consumption only. I have also purchased bottles in San Juan, to consume after the cruise, that they crew took from me when I got back on the ship. They lost the bottles that they took from me, but did replace them with something close to my purchase. You will get lots of different posts on this depending where you are sailing from will make a difference.

We were on VOS in June and upon the advice of our TA we packed the plastic travel bottles in our suitcases and did the Cruise-In Direct (Vancouver). So our luggage was never inspected once we checked them at our departure airport. When I'd have a drink (in cabin only) I put the bottle back in my suitcase. They never knew. So like I always say "its easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!" (that works really well with husbands too)

I too would advise you to duck!!! :D Some people get very hot under the collar with this topic, especially stretch!!! We are sailing on Mariner in a little over 4 weeks and we will be putting a variety of liquor in plastic soda bottles (since there is no restriction on bringing soda onboard). I think it's nuts that they expect us to pay there outrageous prices and just drink in the bars and lounges. I (for one) would like to have a drink or two on our balcony in the evening before and after dinner or whenever without having to leave the cabin. Just be smart about it. I wouldn't bring it on in your carryon luggage though. They might seize it. Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

Has anyone brought liquor on board?? What are the tricks?

I just got back from the Voyager on Sunday, I brought a few carefully packed bottles of wine for the room in my checked baggage. Not only was there no problem with this, My room steward assisted me with aquiring daily wine glasses so that if we wanted to, we could bring a glass to dinner. I also brought a bottle of champagne on in my carry on baggage, it clearly showed up on the x-ray machine. I didn't say anything and neither did they. I carried it into the dining room one evening and the wine steward served it and said there would be a $12 corkage fee (which I knew about), I never got charged. Now, before anyone attacks me for breaking the rules - RCCL did not loose anything from me, I was part of a party of 6 with 2 adjoining rooms and my personal bar bill on my room charge was in excess of $550. I do not feel I cheated the system in any way. My room steward told me the only way they will say anything about it in the rooms is if you have teens with you who are drinking underage and getting out of control. (which he saw on the previous cruise)

After being aboard the Monarch last week and talking with senior staff, the only change that has been made is the RCCl will not allow you to purchase liquor from their retail (duty free) shop to consume while onboard. Everything else appears the same, so for those of you that want to.........go right ahead.

Rick

On other ships (Princess and HAL) ... You can send yourself a bottle as a gift ... You could also order a bottle via room service. While the price didn't match a local liquor store .. It was not tooo outrageous. Is this possible on RCCL?

Last time I was on RCCL you could pay a $10 premium and take a bottle from their retail store ... the above poster seem to say this policy is no longer in place.

Not trying to cheat the system .. but having a cocktail (or two) on the balcony is essential part of the trip ... and going back to the bar sort of ruins the buzz!

On other ships (Princess and HAL) ... You can send yourself a bottle as a gift ... You could also order a bottle via room service. While the price didn't match a local liquor store .. It was not tooo outrageous. Is this possible on RCCL?

Last time I was on RCCL you could pay a $10 premium and take a bottle from their retail store ... the above poster seem to say this policy is no longer in place.

Not trying to cheat the system .. but having a cocktail (or two) on the balcony is essential part of the trip ... and going back to the bar sort of ruins the buzz!

That's the policy/rule that just recently changed on RCCL. You used to be able to purchase liquor from the onboard store, pay a fee and bring it back to your cabin. Can't do that anymore according to the new rule. Any liquor you purchase onboard is stored for you and returned the last night.

Did you bring the wine in its original bottle? I just want to bring a couple of bottles on with me.

I brought ours in the original bottles, and they were stored out in the open. As I said the room steward was well aware of it and did not have a problem. The rules changed as of August 5, 2005, no bottles of alchohol allowed to be brought back to the rooms anymore. I did a lot of research on this prior to sailing and decided to chance it both in handcarried as well as checked baggage.

Royal Caribbean has a very confusing policy. The cruise documents first say you cannot bring any liquor on board, but then in the same paragraph say the policy varies by ship & by port. So maybe yes, and maybe no. Then on the same page they say that there's a $12 corkage fee for wine brought to the dining room.

We have openly brought wine on board with no problem in Los Angeles and Vancouver. On our Med cruise, we did some winery tours and brought back the wine in the winery boxes with no problem, either. We've seen hard liquor confiscated in LA, but no place else.

And there is no longer liquor in the minibar in your cabin, except maybe in the Royal Suite.

I was on Explorer couple of weeks ago. Wrapped wine in bubble wrap and packed three in suitcase and three in carry-on. No one gave a second look at check in. Paid corkage fee for three of the bottles. It was worth it to have the wine I wanted at dinner.

I too would advise you to duck!!! :D Some people get very hot under the collar with this topic, especially stretch!!!

While I don't pretend to speak for Stretch, I believe he was opposed to smuggling booze when it was available for in-room comsumption from the ship's stores. Now that it's discontinued you may find that he'll have a completely different take on it. I'm almost certain we'll hear from him soon. ;)

Beth

and had a bucket of ice for the Asti on the night we were drinking it & glass with a couple spare for friends we'd have over too. We even invited the Steward when he was off but he said NO, not allowed.

I believe the confiscating of booze you brought to your room is for families with kids that may drink it, not for couples with no kids.

We buy the quart size flat square bottles with plastic lids of vodka, and refill a bottle already used with Baileys, These fit nicely into the Zip Loc bags that carry our toothpaste & brushes, so they think it is mouthwash for 2.

I just got back from the Voyager on Sunday, I brought a few carefully packed bottles of wine for the room in my checked baggage. Not only was there no problem with this, My room steward assisted me with aquiring daily wine glasses so that if we wanted to, we could bring a glass to dinner. I also brought a bottle of champagne on in my carry on baggage, it clearly showed up on the x-ray machine. I didn't say anything and neither did they. I carried it into the dining room one evening and the wine steward served it and said there would be a $12 corkage fee (which I knew about), I never got charged. Now, before anyone attacks me for breaking the rules - RCCL did not loose anything from me, I was part of a party of 6 with 2 adjoining rooms and my personal bar bill on my room charge was in excess of $550. I do not feel I cheated the system in any way. My room steward told me the only way they will say anything about it in the rooms is if you have teens with you who are drinking underage and getting out of control. (which he saw on the previous cruise)

I was on Explorer couple of weeks ago. Wrapped wine in bubble wrap and packed three in suitcase and three in carry-on. No one gave a second look at check in. Paid corkage fee for three of the bottles. It was worth it to have the wine I wanted at dinner.
This is EXACTLY what we did last month on the Enchantment.
No bottles from room service, just individual drinks, the types you would get at the bar. Better to go to the bar and get a "freshly-made" one.
In the RS liquor was provided at $60.00 per bottle. There was no free liquor for the short trip. The ship did provide several bottles of champagne free.
Just curious, Rick, what brand did they give you? Korbel? :(

Carol

We are sailing on Mariner in a little over 4 weeks and we will be putting a variety of liquor in plastic soda bottles (since there is no restriction on bringing soda onboard).

I thought the policy said we weren't allowed to bring ANY of our own beverages, including soda. Has this poicy changed or I am just mistaken?

Archived