Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Northern Europe & Baltics

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Northern Europe & Baltics Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn

Old September 7th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Nynashamn Port to Train Station to Stockholm

Hello,

I know this has been mentioned before but I cannot find the post. Can someone please explain how to get to the train station in Nynashamn so we can travel to Stockholm. Also anything else you think we would need to know ( price, time, ect.. )

Thanks and God Bless.....

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 7th, 2005, 11:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Nynasham to Stockholm

Reproduced below are extracts from 2 different posts.
Are you on the 9/12/05 Star Princess? We have a small
group planning to do the train.

1. Try to be off the ship before 8. The tender in Nynashamn takes not more than 15 minutes. As soon as the tender drops you off at the dock, walk toward your left with your back facing the sea. (Another person put it this way: Go left when you get out of the pier area at the fork in the road.) Walk along the coast and you should pass some rail. If you pass a big Ferry Terminal (Ferry to Tallinn), you are on the right track. It will take you about 15-20 minutes to walk to the station. You should see a small church on top of the hill on the right when you reach the train station. The train station is called Nynashamn Train Station (there is another small train station, which you should not use). They do not take US$ or credit cards on the train. You can buy a ticket in the little shop that sells sundries at the station.

The train costs SEK 75 per person each way if you pay onboard.

2 Once ashore, it is a 15 minute walk to the left (south) to the small Nynashamn train station. Tickets are available for 95 Swedish Krona ($14) at the small kiosk just before the station (which takes credit cards). Tickets for seniors are 45 SK ($8).
/Sultan

Old September 8th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultan_sfo
Tickets are available for 95 Swedish Krona ($14) at the small kiosk just before the station (which takes credit cards). Tickets for seniors are 45 SK ($8).
/Sultan
The 95 kronor tickets are what is known as the 1 day/24 hour travel card and is good for not only the Nynashamn train but for buses and the subway system once you reach the city.

Skåll

Al

Festival Azur - Aug, 2001 - 7 night Euro Med.
Azure Seas - mid 1980's - 4 night Baja Calif.

Old September 17th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We purchased the Stockholm Card which also gave us admission to the Vasa Museam and City Hall. It will also give you many other admissions, however that was all the time we had after a walking tour of Gamla Stan to make the 2pm train back. It's a shame that there isn't more time in Stockholm. Visit www.stockholmtown.com

Old November 6th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sultan, no ferry to Tallin from Nynäshamn, Riga, Gdansk and Gotland are the destinations where the ferries running to.
As for timetabel for the train http://www.sl.se/english/ and you can
buy ticket onboard
Do remember that the train from Stockholm to Nynäshamn sometimes only
the 4 first wagons go all the way (the rest stops halfways at Västerhaninge).

Old January 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Please tell me how long in the train ride to Sotckholm?
Thanks

Old January 6th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Train ride is 45-60 minutes. Just remember to be in one of the first cars on your return. There is a stop on the way back where the back of the train is taken off! We managed to catch the 2:30 train back to the ship, wish we would have had more time in Stockholm. It is a great city.
Mary

Old January 7th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hello!
Train times for Nynashamn/Stockholm 7:37,8:07,8:37,9:07,10:07,11:07 weekdays (weekend omit 7:37 & 8:37). Return trains from Stockholm 11:52,12:52,1:52 & 2:52 (usually from platform 13). You must be with Princess as I think no other cruise line stops at Nynashamn. If so, the last train you can possibly get is the 2:52pm. Check in the ticket booth at the platform entry if your train will split cars.Not all do.This gets you back to Nynashamn just before 4:00pm and the last launch to the ship leaves at 4:45pm. It's about a 20 minute walk back to the launch dock from Nynashamn station.
Incidentally, Happy New Year to all Cruise Critics! I'm looking forward to being aboard Star Princess throughout the summer again and if you have any questions about the cruise I'll do my best to answer them for you. Best wishes.
John Lawrence, Cruise Director

Old January 9th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlcd
Hello!
Train times for Nynashamn/Stockholm 7:37,8:07,8:37,9:07,10:07,11:07 weekdays (weekend omit 7:37 & 8:37). Return trains from Stockholm 11:52,12:52,1:52 & 2:52 (usually from platform 13). You must be with Princess as I think no other cruise line stops at Nynashamn. If so, the last train you can possibly get is the 2:52pm. Check in the ticket booth at the platform entry if your train will split cars.Not all do.This gets you back to Nynashamn just before 4:00pm and the last launch to the ship leaves at 4:45pm. It's about a 20 minute walk back to the launch dock from Nynashamn station.
Incidentally, Happy New Year to all Cruise Critics! I'm looking forward to being aboard Star Princess throughout the summer again and if you have any questions about the cruise I'll do my best to answer them for you. Best wishes.
John Lawrence, Cruise Director
John,
Thank you so much for participation in our daily discussion what tp do or not to do. I would like to tell you how delighted we are that you will be our CD on Star Princess cruising in Baltic. I have been telling everybody we have met over 28 cruises that you are the best CD we sailed back on old Sky Princess early 90s.
God bless you.
"keep cruising and life wouldn't be boring."

Old January 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

John, we will be on the Baltic sailing the 2nd of September, will you be the CD for that cruise. I just sent for your DVD on the Baltic really looking forward to seeing it and going on our cruise. I have read so many good things about you.

Last edited by Deloresgardella; January 9th, 2006 at 05:53 PM.

Old January 10th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Delores,
At present the plans are for me to be aboard Star Princess for the entire Baltic season, so all things being well I look forward to seeing you on Sept 2nd
John

Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question for JohnLCD:
Would you please explain the Visa procedures in St. Pete. Who needs it? etc
Thanks

Old February 11th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISABELLA
Question for JohnLCD:
Would you please explain the Visa procedures in St. Pete. Who needs it? etc
Thanks
Isabella - if you take a ship's tour or a private excursions such as Denrus or RO you will not need a Visa. If you intend to go on your own in St. Petersburg you will need to obtain a Visa.

Old February 13th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you for all the helpfull informations. My DH and I will also be on the Baltic Cruise of Sept.2 on the Star Princess. We are thinking of boarding the train to Stockholm and like some of you we would prefer to have an early start.

Old February 13th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Can anyone tell me if the Stockholm Card will cover the train fare from Nynäshamn to Stockholm central station and back? I see that you can purchase a 95 SEK '24 hr travelcard' that will cover this fare. What I am not clear on is, if I pre-purchase a Stockholm Card, will that train fare be covered for this route?

Thanks!

Old February 13th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlcd
Hi Delores,
At present the plans are for me to be aboard Star Princess for the entire Baltic season, so all things being well I look forward to seeing you on Sept 2nd
John
Hi John,

Loved your Baltics DVD! We're on the 9/12 and 9/22 back to back. Are you also doing the crossing?

Donna

Past Cruises: Sea Princess - Alaska, 2002, Dawn Princess - Honolulu-Tahiti-Honolulu, 2003, Coral Princess - Panama Canal, 2004, Star Princess - Eastern & Western Caribbean, 2004, Grand Princess - Grand Mediterranean, 2005, Golden Princess - British Isles, 2005, Pacific Princess - Islands of the Pacific Theater, 2006, Star Princess-Baltic and Transatlantic, 2006, Golden Princess - Buenos Aires to San Francisco, spring 2007, Sapphire Princess - Bangkok to Beijing to Bangkok, fall 2007, Sea Princess Med and Iberian, spring 2008; Royal Princess Canada and Colonial America, Ruby Princess Western Caribbean, fall 2008, Pacific Princess Fort Lauderdale to Manaus and back, Spring 2009, Coral Princess Alaska to FLL Fall 2009, Diamond Princess Sydney to Auckland, Jan 2010, Ocean Princess June/July 2010 - Norwegian Fjords and Northern Transatlantic, Westerdam Oct/Nov 2010 - Med and Southern Transatlantic, Feb/Mar/Apr 2011 Sun Princess around New Zealand, Dawn Princess around Australia, Oct/Nov 2011 Ocean Princess Rome to Singapore, Apr/May 2012 Diamond Princess Singapore to Vancouver, Nov 2012 Grand Princess Transatlantic, May 2014 Rotterdam Norway

Old February 14th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

rkdahl, the Stockholm transport card will cover the train to and from Nynäshamn.

However, there may no longer be any reason to buy these cards. It has been annonced that starting in May we will have a new pay system on Stockholm public transport. Each journey will cost SEK 20, regardless of how far you travel. So one ride from Nynäshamn to Stockholm (takes 1 hour) will be SEK 20, one ride within Stockholm (maybe 10 minutes) will be the same SEK 20. Going from Nynäshamn to Stockholm and back again on the train will be only SEK 40, and that means the card will not very likely be worth buying.

Now this is only early information about a coming change, the new prices are not published yet. So to know for sure we will have to wait till later.

Old February 14th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The card we used last summer also included a bus ride from the train station to the Vasa museum as well as entrance to the Vasa, the Palace and City Hall. It also included other attractions, however we ran out of time.

Old February 15th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Donna,
Many thanks for your kind comments about the DVD, glad you are enjoying it. I am scheduled to be on board for the Sept 12th cruise but not the crossing.
John

Old February 16th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

There are two different Stockholm cards. One is the Stockholm Transport Card which covers public transport within the Stockholm area, including trains to Nynäshamn and the ferry between Gamla Stan and Vasa Museum. For one day this card costs SEK 95.

The other Stockholm Card covers the same public transport as the one above. But it also includes the entrance fees to many Stockholm museums and some limited sightseeing. The cost for this card for one day is SEK 270.

It depends on how many museums you intend to visit if this card is worth the cost. The entrance to for instance the Vasa Musum is SEK 80.