Wine Fees

Tink1

Hi. Does anyone have a general idea how much they charge for an average bottle of wine, say for like Beringer White Zifandel. I just found out the corking fee is $12.00 a bottle and I want to know if it is worth brining it on if the price averages to be the same.

Thanks!

Too much. I didn't bring the wine list home - now, of course, I wish that I had! - but they are all OUTLANDISHLY overpriced. Average markup, I would guess, would be four to five TIMES retail. On the other hand, it's a pain to tote wine bottles all the way from Maryland to Florida. If you are cruising on the Grandeur out of Baltimore, and thus driving to the port, I say: pack your own. If you're flying, and your vineyard of choice is Beringer, just bite the bullet and buy on the ship. (I only take wine that is absolutely NEVER going to be on their wine list because of its superior quality. :D :D :D )

JMO. YMMV.

Carol

Beringer white zinfandel should not be transported by car for any distance; rhe movement of the car severely impacts the wine. Depending on the year of the vintage available, I would recommend that you buy it onboard.

Merion, is that the main line town outside Phillie; is the Barnes Museum there?

Considering that that particular wine is very inexpensive ($4-$8 retail for an '04), I don't think the quality will be compromised by a trip in the car. Movement will only impact red wines with enough sediment on the bottom and it's the heat more than the movement that affects quality. White wines are much better travelers, and won't be affected by movement at all.

Average restaurant mark-up for better wines ($30 & up retail) is double the retail price. Average mark-up for lesser vintages might be more....I think you'll come out even with the corkage or ordering off the menu, I can't imagine they'd charge much more than $22 for the zinfandel.

I went to the Barnes in May; went to Phillie to see the Dali exhibit, the Philadelphia Museum of Art is AWESOME, especially the middle ages collection. The Barnes was fascinating and Merion is beeeautiful, but must cost a fortune to live there. You can sell your humble abode and sale around the world on Residence at Sea for the Rest of Your Life. JMNSHO. Oh, and Le BecFin was mahvelous.

I just got my docs for my cruise on October 5th and I believe that the Beringer Cabernet is going for $35 :D (it was $6 at Meijer today when I went grocery shopping)

We are brining our own but none of waht we are bringing is on the list.

However the corkage fee is not listed in the docs, which I find interesting. Well we are bringing ours and we will see what happens...

If you can still get on board with it! Just remember the cork screw. Florida is a crazy state, when you fill up you car with gas you can buy wine and beer! Not my idea but a great time saver. The gas station, grocery store, Target just about anywhere. Save the money for the excursions.

Archived