Purchase of alcohol for in room consumption.

Is it one bottle per passenger for in room? DH likes his gin and tonic and I really need that shot of Bailey's in my coffee to fortify me for the morning coffee on the balcony icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Radiance of the Seas- 6/5/2004 *** Elation 11/2002

You can purchase as much as you want to bring to your room...as long as you don't mind paying the corkage fee. We just returned from Explorer and the corkage fee in the onboard duty-free was $9.50/bottle, in port, coming ON the ship it was $12/bottle.

Explorer of the Seas 5/04

Holland American Veendam 3/03

Carnival Imagination 4/00

Lake Champlain Ferries 88-95

Yes. They ask you at check-out whether or not it's for on-board consumption. If not, then they'll package it up for you and deliver it the last night.

Explorer of the Seas 5/04

Holland American Veendam 3/03

Carnival Imagination 4/00

Lake Champlain Ferries 88-95

4Cruisers...we just sold our house on N Washington (Bennett & Grand) and bought a mobilehome on Barranca & Gladstone until we figure out where we want to move to. My stepdaughters attended LaFetra, Sandberg and GHS.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Radiance of the Seas- 6/5/2004 *** Elation 11/2002

I have heard from these boards that if you purchase the first night on the ship you can take as many bottles as you want back and you will only be charged one fee of 9.50. Just the first night, after that it is per bottle. Is this correct?

On our last cruise, I brought a bottle of wine for our Cruise Critics infomral first night get together, and a bottle of liquor to drink in the cabin right on in my carry-on and no one said a word.

Kathy

Fantasy August 2000

Fascination May 2001

Enchantment of the Seas December 2002

Voyager of the Seas June 2004

Quote by tunisbridal

"I have heard from these boards that if you purchase the first night on the ship you can take as many bottles as you want back and you will only be charged one fee of 9.50. Just the first night, after that it is per bottle. Is this correct?"

If this is true, and there is only one fee ,and not per bottle then this is a good deal!...Is it true?.....It would save lugging some!

Back to Back VOS

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I guess some ships have some inconsistency on this. We purchased 6 bottles of liquor on our most recent cruise ( 3weeks ago), and the gentleman, simply boxed them up and gave up the boxes and we carried back to our stateroom, no qustions asked.

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

The first night I purchased 4 bottles (different liquors) Thought it was a very good deal even with that little consumption charge.I just carried them to my suite.This was on the Grandeur this last Jan.

Alaska (my BIG 50)Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We purchased 2 bottles of Gin on a recent cruise on Splendour and were charged $9.50 per bottle. They had taken the bottle that we had in our carry-on (the first time this had happened). We had previously sailed on Rhapsody out of Galveston. icon_cool.gificon_smile.gificon_cool.gif

Any day on a cruise is better than a day at work.

the last time we were aboard the rhapsody the gentleman in the liquor store told us there was a $10 charge to bring the bottle back to the room. i am assuming the charge was per bottle.

NCL Leeward 9/97

Carnival Celebration 1/99

NCL Sea 2/00

NCL Sea 12/00

Grand Princess 9/01

NCL Norway 4/02

RCCL Rhapsody 8/02

NCL Norway 2/03

RCCL Rhapsody 8/03

NCL Sea 2/04

RCCL Grandeur 1/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;1;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Water water everywhere, yippie!!!</BR>

pelletib, I am a La Fetra, Sandburg, GHS girl, myself!!! So is my husband!!!!LOL! Small world! I'm a 1974 GHS grad and my husband is 1972...we didn't meet until after he was out of GHS!

You picked a good time to sell your home! The prices are amazing!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

...until our August 28, 2004 Splendour of the Seas

OK, I have a question...my wife and I are sailing on the Rhapsody this coming Sunday, and I was planning on bringing a 1/2 gallon of Crown on board for enjoying throughout the cruise. Will they take it from me? I was just going to put it into my checked luggage, as I don't mind paying a corkage fee to drink it on board...I just don't want them to tell me that I can't bring it on board. Anyone ever had this problem with RCC?

From what I have read - you'll be fine. Put it in your luggage and no one will say a thing. I think the corkage fee is for when you purchase bottles ON the ship - not bring them with you.

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

There are definitely inconsistencies in this corkage fee. I was on the Empress two weeks ago and purchased two bottles of Absolut in the Duty Free store. I had read so much about the corkage fee and expected to be asked whether it was for onboard consumption. The clerk just rang up the sale and handed them to me. No extra charge-no questions asked.

Be glad the prices are still so reasonable.

I perused the NCL board and NCL is getting hard core on bringing ANYTHING aboard and charging prices like $58 for a bottle or rum to your room.

NCL, many rates getting really low, nickle and diming getting really nasty, makes me wonder if they are having a hard time financially.

NCL is one line I don't plan on trying in thier current incarnation.

BigDave

Enchantment 10/2002, Rhapsody 4/2004.

Caribbean Princess, E Carib. 11/27/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2004;11;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

HAL Oosterdam, E Carib. 1/2/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;1;2;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Valor, W. Carib. 2/6/2005, Radiance, E. Carib 2/13/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;2;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

RCI is one of the few cruiselines that do allow you take a bottle back for a reasonable charge. The consumption charge is inconsistent because you are dealing with humans. I have been charged per bottle, and I have been charged once for an entire purchase. It just depends. Frankly, considering a liter of Absolut is going to cost me $27 here... and about $20 on the ship with the consumption charge, it's a good deal.. and you don't have to lug heavy bottles. About the only bottles that would be worth lugging are a special wine or champagne for a special ocassion, IMHO.

CRUISES: Queen of Bermuda '89 Tropicale '99, Explorer of the Seas '02, Radiance of the Seas '02, Vision of the Seas '03, Queen Elizabeth 2 '03, Infinity '03, Serenade of the Seas '03, Monarch of the Seas '03, Norwegian Star '03, Queen Mary 2 '04,

Diamond Princess, '04

Detailed ship pix: http://community.webshots.com/user/mattinla

I agree with Mattinla. The prices for buying on board for in-room consumption are still lower than most local liquor stores in your home town. Don't bother hauling it in your luggage unless it is a top-shelf or hard to find liquor that you prefer. If you start quizzing the clerk working the register with paranoid questions I'm sure they could work out an extra charge for you. But this is not the policy as far as I know. (Tip): Jamaican 151 Overproof rum goes nicely into a water bottle just in case. Just don't let your wife or significant confuse it with H20. Not good.

L.W. - I think some of the confusion about one fee or a fee on each bottle stems from the first night specials in the store. The first night on board the store ran specials on selected liquors, all of them flavored rums on our last cruise, and you could buy up to four for one $9.50 fee. However, I misunderstood that the fee deal was for only those selected and I was charged the $9.50 for each of the two bottles I purchased. Still, as others have stated, the prices were reasonable even with the fee.

Celebration,1997

Century,1998

Grandeur, 1999

Inspiration, 2001

Millennium, 06-2002

Celebration, 10-2002

NCL Star, 02-2003

Rhapsody, 06-03

Mariner, 06-04

Archived