"Live" - Aloha - Radiance of the Seas 20 April 2016 - Hawaii to Vancouver

Hello everyone,

Our six month winter drought is over and we are flying off to Honolulu tomorrow morning to meet up with Radiance on Wednesday. Marie and I have taken the September reverse direction cruise (Vancouver to Hawaii) several times but this is our first in this direction. I can already think of several advantages to this route:

• We can run around the islands more as the five days at sea to relax are at the end.
  • Instead of a six hour flight home it is just a three hour drive.

Radiance in Kailua Kona 2012

8010783217_5b2d97e256_c.jpg

Remembering places we visited on the previous cruises, some of them we will re-visit along with I hope some new sights.

Waikiki where we will be staying 2 days prior to the cruise.

8021660936_e69c07dc5d_c.jpg

Paia on Maui

8014257131_7bf3b52444_c.jpg

Farmer's Market at Hilo

8baef8278108ee81f7b9fb604437a9e4.jpg

Sunset over Kauai

f896ab64613bf9f6ac2e1baa27d55828.jpg

Kailua Kona

15282127405_eff509fc8f_b.jpg

Waimea Canyon on Kauai, probably not stopping here again but we do have some other sights to see. :D

8018138690_678f66f10f_c.jpg

Flea market under the banyan tree in Lahaina, Maui

8014258562_3df74c9684_c.jpg

Definitely need to stop in the farmer's market in Kailua Kona for some delicious rambutan.

ru7e4a8e.jpg

We have a balcony so planning to enjoy breakfast there now and then

f88c20476d68415cb2346e5edc5770d0.jpg

Kauai Coffee Company

8018131181_12bb4d2701_c.jpg

I'm ready to go Bill! Great pictures.

I'm staged in Portland ready to fly to Honolulu tomorrow to board on Wed. I'm sending this link to DH, DD, and DS so they can follow our adventures. Thanks for doing this.

Can't believe it's been 6 months already Bill. I will enjoy this.:)

Time flies Bob :)

Following along. My sister and BIL are on this itinerary next year. Thanks for taking the time to do a live review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are booked on that cruise too, it's even nicer than this one because it has two overnights (Lahaina and Kauai).

I'm staged in Portland ready to fly to Honolulu tomorrow to board on Wed. I'm sending this link to DH, DD, and DS so they can follow our adventures. Thanks for doing this.

At least the west coast is giving us a great send off, it is supposed to get to 77 here in Seattle today

Hello everyone,

Our six month winter drought is over and we are flying off to Honolulu tomorrow morning to meet up with Radiance on Wednesday. Marie and I have taken the September reverse direction cruise (Vancouver to Hawaii) several times but this is our first in this direction. I can already think of several advantages to this route:

• We can run around the islands more as the five days at sea to relax are at the end.
  • Instead of a six hour flight home it is just a three hour drive.

This will be fun! We are thinking of doing Vancouver to Hawaii in 2018, so looking foward to your adventures.:)

Have fun, Carol! I am looking forward to seeing you again on the Harmony this fall for our TA. Enjoy the cruise.:)

Here is the schedule for the cruise. Once again we get the chance for an overnight in Lahaina. Such a great port for spending two days.

26393391346_8f7e119a5f_b.jpg

The weather looks to be terrific and typical. A few showers now and then (it's the tropics folks :p) and lot of warm weather. :D

26427972815_176f38973d_b.jpg

For our pre-cruise hotel we will be staying at the Hale Koa on Waikiki Beach. This is a government owned hotel available for active and retired military and DoD personnel. It is right next door to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The big advantage to this place is just $129 a night for an ocean view room. :D

25816546243_199fc95d9a_o.jpg

Once on the ship we have an E1 balcony cabin on the deck 7 hump, 7600. We had an oceanview cabin booked and switched to a Balcony Guarantee for $190. We then swapped around till we got on the hump. Tried to get an aft balcony but they didn't include the D1s in the guarantees so this will be our first Hawaii cruise that is not an aft, oh well.

26393391436_286b971689_b.jpg

Having never been to Kauai, in your opinion is Waimea Canyon a must see?

If you have never seen it I would certainly put it on the must see list, either driving to see it or flying over in a helicopter. We have done both and its breathtaking as it is so hard to fathom such a huge canyon on a tropical island.

For our pre-cruise hotel we will be staying at the Hale Koa on Waikiki Beach. ]

Woohoo I'm in.....please post a pic of the make them yourself waffles at the Hale Koa Bill...I am tasting them right now...mmmm...dripping with butter and Coconut syrup...(swoon):p Oops..throw some Macadamia nuts on top would you.............

Edited by BecciBoo

Bill, cannot wait!!!!!!

Love your reviews.

I bet (Gloria?????) Marie is excited also.

Your picture of the Banyan tree on Maui brings back fond memories for me and our husband on our honeymoon soon to be 25 years ago.

We were told to meet under the Banyan tree for our trilogy boating excursion. Um we could not find it, we walked all around under it the whole time.

The tour guides just looked at us funny when they came looking for us and could not believe we mis took the tree top for anything else.

We just said we did not have trees like this in Ohio.

Safe travels

Eagerly awaiting more of your posts.

Stay safe.

Woohoo I'm in.....please post a pic of the make them yourself waffles at the Hale Koa Bill...I am tasting them right now...mmmm...dripping with butter and Coconut syrup...(swoon):p Oops..throw some Macadamia nuts on top would you.............

Tuesday morning I was planning to hop the bus over to Leonard's Bakery for some malasadas but if that falls through I will have to check out the waffles and coconut syrup. Maybe Wednesday. :)

Bill, cannot wait!!!!!!

Love your reviews.

I bet (Gloria?????) Marie is excited also.

Your picture of the Banyan tree on Maui brings back fond memories for me and our husband on our honeymoon soon to be 25 years ago.

We were told to meet under the Banyan tree for our trilogy boating excursion. Um we could not find it, we walked all around under it the whole time.

The tour guides just looked at us funny when they came looking for us and could not believe we mis took the tree top for anything else.

We just said we did not have trees like this in Ohio.

Safe travels

Eagerly awaiting more of your posts.

Stay safe.

One of Marie's many aliases. :D It is a beautiful tree and amazing to know it is only one tree. :)

Well I have my books picked out and loaded on the Kindle. I already started on the first one yesterday. :D

25883641713_72ebd377e6_o.jpg

First up I wanted to explore some of the myths of the islands and this one seemed to be well recommended. The Legends and Myths of Hawaii (Tut Books. L) King David Kalakaua

The Legends and Myths of Hawaii, by King David Kalakaua, who lived from 1836 to 1890, is a remarkable work. It combines many traditional Hawaiian legends with stories about historical incidents, such as the death of Captain James Cook at the hands of Hawaiians in 1779 and the destruction of Hawaiian temples in 1819.

No other collection of Hawaii's myths has come so directly from a literate Hawaiian. King Kalakaua ruled his subjects with sympathy and understanding and had a deep respect for their traditional knowledge. he was initiator of a general renaissance of Hawaiian culture that has continued to this day.

His Hawaiian Majesty King David Kalakaua was a fascinating writer an mythologist who captured in these stories the romance of old Polynesia. His book is an early and significant contribution to the preservation of Hawaiian culture, as well as a rich collection of Hawaiian lore.

25881591324_6dc62f0641_o.jpg

Next is Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen - Queen Liliuokalani.

The Hawaiian kingdom's last monarch wrote her biography in 1897, the year before the annexation of the Hawaiian Islands by the United States. Her story covers six decades of island history told from the viewpoint of a major historical figure. Introduction by Glen Grant.

26486472155_43303d5690_o.jpg

Just in case these get a little dry to read I have this one in reserve. It's the last book in a fun series and the characters are fictional but the books do take place on islands. Hilo, Goodbye (Islands of Aloha Mystery Series Book 8) JoAnn Bassett

In this final episode in the Islands of Aloha Mystery series, Pali Moon is on her way to becoming “wedding planner to the stars” when she’s plucked from obscurity to coordinate the much-ballyhooed wedding of Rebecca Montrose, last year’s “runaway bride” and this year’s new reality show sensation. A week before the nuptials, Rebecca (who now goes by the much hipper sounding, Becca) decides she wants to go to Hilo for one last hurrah. The entire cast and crew pack up, but before a single frame is shot, a body shows up in a nearby Hilo park. Alas, Pali’s got troubles of her own. What’s next for her and former fiancé, Hatch Decker? And what about that crazy name of hers? Is she ever going to reveal it to anyone except her closest friends? If you believe all’s well that ends well, then this story is for you.

Pancakes are Monday and Friday. :(

https://www.halekoa.com/dining-and-entertainment/dining/koko-cafe.html

Might have to try the Wailana Coffee House across the street. They have great pancakes every day

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60982-d445710-Reviews-Wailana_Coffee_House-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

Edited by PCWalton1