Live from the Ruby - May 7, 2016 - 1-day Vancouver-Seattle

CanadianBurger

I hope I didn't bore too many people with my Live from the Crown in January... I'm doing it again for the quick 1-day on the Ruby.

Day 0:

It was a long day of travelling... Buffalo-Chicago-Denver-Seattle, then renting a car and driving to Vancouver. Yes, this is also a United flight segment trip as well as a cruise credit trip!

My ORD-DEN segment had an equipment change to a 767-300 which was nice, as I got a lie-flat seat in business. I slept the entire flight. It was very late leaving due to maintenance, but I was able to run the three gates over to my connection in DEN just as boarding was starting. Turns out it was a hurry-up-and-wait scenario, as this plane also had a maintenance issue and ended up being late too. At least I was on board both times and not standing at the gate.

I wanted a cheap place using either Hilton or Marriott points, so I'm at the Hampton Inn Vancouver Airport tonight. Will be driving to Canada Place in the morning, returning the car (very convenient!) and getting in line. Stay tuned for more tomorrow, and my usual overdose of photos!

Steve.

Edited by CanadianBurger

You sound like someone I understand completely!! Are you a point junkie and miles maniac like me? But what's the deal with so many flights? Are you doing a B2B after Vancouver??? One day is not enough.

Yes, doing the May 20 on the Crown as well. After this one docks in Seattle, I'm headed to San Fran to see the Blue Jays play the Giants on Monday night. Then it's back to work for a week and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Beautiful morning in Vancouver!

ed20c4a6316e414c7f3812e79ae710b1.jpg

Left the hotel around 9:15, and half an hour later I was at the port. Vancouver drivers are still SOOOO slow compared to Toronto. Tip for those returning cars: get in the right lane on Howe St which is signed for taxis. You must be in the lane to the right of the cones to turn into the garage. Stay left in the garage and go down to P2, then follow the return signs.

84748d65721a2424895f79c507dde07f.jpg

Joined the queue for all ships at 10am. Security hasn't been opened yet. The Ruby's at East Berth and the Nieuw Amsterdam's at West Berth.

da9a96bf9264f2c43dd0df768a7832b3.jpg

Security opened at 10:15, and the line is moving quickly.

Through Security in about 15 minutes. US CBP is pre-cleared in Vancouver before checking in. And good news: they take NEXUS cards, although there isn't a separate line. Customs took about 20 minutes. There was no wait at all for the Preferred check-in, and I'm seated in the Preferred boarding area with about 30 people ahead of me.

The usual snacks are available.

7e989991b4943eaee512658f69c53979.jpg

I can see her! Excited to board!

bdc5f38c35e95cc6f847c69793b354c1.jpg

On board at 11:45. Dropped off bag in my cabin. I'm by myself, and it's one night, so just in an inside.

3a999e3c67dd3f1a3b35939c9b94c819.jpg

It's nice having the ship almost to myself!

2abc194ae7173d72a315d26cfe920f1b.jpg

First stop, Crooners! (Of course!)

bbf2ab05950d8a35b9e05c3c0d506970.jpg

They are NOT selling the AIBP on board. [emoji45]