Rocky November Transatlantic?

MollyBrown

Ocean state is often a "crap shoot" - calm one trip and rough the next.

My only November trans-Atlantic was a Westbound, Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale, on HAL's Maasdam, in 1995.

Smooth waters Lisbon to Azores, but fairly rough West of the Azores. Water entered the hull via the hawsepipe (anchor chainway), and some dozen cabins on Main Deck, forward, were flooded to a depth of about 6", including ours.

Luckily, there were empty cabins to which we could be moved.

Travel can be an adventure!

I've never done the transatlantic in the fall, only spring and summer. In the early spring it has been very variable. Once it was extremely rough, and another time as smooth as glass. However, I was wondering if it would be inclined to be rougher in November, in terms of probability.

we crossed on the QM2 from southampton to NY the first week of november this past year and had two VERY rough days, but I happen to like that and so far have never gotten seasick. as previously stated one never knows what its going to be like, you could have smooth calm waters all the way. if it's really a factor tho, the odds are better for smooth sailing in the summer.

In the early spring it has been very variable. Once it was extremely rough, and another time as smooth as glass. However, I was wondering if it would be inclined to be rougher in November, in terms of probability.

I was on the tandem crossing in April2004 (NY to Southampton) and it was very calm all the way. Even balmy on some days ... enjoyed lunch al fresco by the 1 Deck pool for 3 days! And in Dec 2003, the crossing to NY was pleasant ... springlike temperatures.

(Dec 2004, however was wild and woolly for a couple days.....)

Like the aforementioned crapshoot, no one knows what can happen on the Atlantic. I'm sure you will enjoy every minute of it, regardless of conditions!

Archived