Can you take your own wine to the supper club?

Sablerose

Yes, yes, I know that the question might also be "why would you WANT TO DO THAT," but it's a legitimate question.

The last time my husband was TDY to Ecuador, he brought back a 5-year-old Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon that he had a chance to try while he was there, and we are holding it for the cruise. I understand that, or have at least read here that, many times when people take a bottle of wine to the dining room they end up sharing it with their tablemates.

I am too selfish for that, and don't want to do that, so I was thinking if we had an intimate table for ourselves in the supper club perhaps that would be a good place to enjoy this wine.

I don't know, can anyone give me feedback? Do you take your own wine to the dining room, and if you do, do you feel obligated to share it with anyone else?

I appreciate anyone's stories or feedback, thanks!

Yes, you can take it to the supper club, you may be charged the $10 corkage fee, but your server may not.

We usually offer the wine to our tablemates but they usually decline even if they enjoy wine; if you have something special, I think you have a fine plan to enjoy it yourselves.

i would drink that wine n the cabin. they can charge about $15 corkage fee. they have some good wines on board. also now people don't often share wine w/tablemates. each does his own thing. they could feel obligated 2 buy wine 2 share w/u.

I mean, we are wine PEOPLE, we really enjoy a nice glass of wine esp. with a nice meal. I might worry I'd be skimping myself out on a nice bottle of wine with dinner in the supper club recommended by the sommalier if we take our own, I just don't know.

I hear so often about people not getting charged the corkage in the dining room. I wonder if, because the supper club (at least on the Conquest, from what I have heard) takes pride in its wine selection, that they WOULD charge us the corkage fee.

We had considered enjoying it in our room, and still might do that, or out on the deck or something.

Any other opinions? Thank you so much!

C, you know I'll tell it to ya straight :D Take the wine to the dining room, you don't have to share!!!! It's your wine... I have never shared unless it was with my CC buddies :D

I personally wouldn't take it to the supper club... just seems wrong, LOL...They have a great wine selection, and it's an upper scale experience and walking in with your own bottle seems, and don't take this the wrong way cuz you know I ain't got nothin but love for ya, but tacky. That's my opinion... I'd take it into the dining room, personally :D

We did on the Glory last year but only because it was a special bottle for DH. I did call to see if it was available in the Supper Club, was told it was not and they invited us to bring our wine. We were not charged the corkage fee and tipped as if we had purchased the wine there.

Have fun!

GC, you make a great point and that was something I was **really** worried about, though I didn't directly reference it. I don't want to be tacky.

I'd rather spend $40 on a bottle of wine in the supper club than show up lookin' like okie rednecks with their weenie little bottle of wine.

Now, then -- do you have a wine list for the supper club? I need to know what to budget.

And I'll just tell my tablemates no, they cannot have any of my deeeeeeelicious 5-year old cab.

Neener, neener.

We made reservations at the Point on the Conquest back in February (for a party of 8) and when the couple went up to make reservations for 2 nights later they brought up three bottles of good wine that they requested be served at dinner..... and they were served to us...and we were never charged a fee :D

They also kept the one white wine on ice in a beautiful ice bucket/stand by our table....

When you call to make reservation ask them if you can bring up a bottle of wine to be served with dinner...and drop it off ahead of time so you dont have to walk in with it...

GC, you make a great point and that was something I was **really** worried about, though I didn't directly reference it. I don't want to be tacky.

I'd rather spend $40 on a bottle of wine in the supper club than show up lookin' like okie rednecks with their weenie little bottle of wine.

Now, then -- do you have a wine list for the supper club? I need to know what to budget.

And I'll just tell my tablemates no, they cannot have any of my deeeeeeelicious 5-year old cab.

Neener, neener.

What'd they bring? :D

What'd they bring? :D

Now now, are you quoting one of us and asking a question of the other one?

Don't be so confusing especially in a thread about wine! I'm seriously contemplating ending my work day and having a glass, and it's going to make it that much harder to follow when I do so! :D

Now now, are you quoting one of us and asking a question of the other one?

Don't be so confusing especially in a thread about wine! I'm seriously contemplating ending my work day and having a glass, and it's going to make it that much harder to follow when I do so! :D

Well if they didn't bring nuthin' to share why should you. On the other hand if they show up at the table with a bottle of Chateau Montre-Chez ...

C, you know I'll tell it to ya straight :D Take the wine to the dining room, you don't have to share!!!! It's your wine... I have never shared unless it was with my CC buddies :D

I personally wouldn't take it to the supper club... just seems wrong, LOL...They have a great wine selection, and it's an upper scale experience and walking in with your own bottle seems, and don't take this the wrong way cuz you know I ain't got nothin but love for ya, but tacky. That's my opinion... I'd take it into the dining room, personally :D

GC, I have also brought wine to dinner and frankly didn't mind NOT sharing. I like sharing with my friends. C, the supper club really has a good selection and besides, it's only one or two glasses. No harm done.

The corkage fee... remind your steward that you will be leaving a good tip at the end of the cruise... most of the time, they just let ya go on with your business and not worry bout ya...

We have brought our own wine on both NCL and Princess, and paid the corkage fees. We usually pick up some wine if we stop in Martinique or Saint-Martin, since both are French islands (okay, Saint-Martin is half an island). We go to the supermarket to pick up some nice French wine at reasonable prices.

Never had a problem, asking to get the wine put at our disposal. We just sign for the corkage fee. We never felt pressure to share with tablemates.

I do suggest, if you want to make sure that your wine is still there the next time, that before it is sent back to the dining room that you have them wipe the bottle and mark with a marker a line where the wine was.

We had one case, where there was wine left, but someone decided to dispose of it. Marking it shows how much wine is left, and makes sure it is not tampered with.

Well if they didn't bring nuthin' to share why should you. On the other hand if they show up at the table with a bottle of Chateau Montre-Chez ...

You see, there's always some kind of "wiggle room."

Now hubby insists that we will indeed enjoy the cab in the room, and has set me out to find whether or not room service would deliver a plate of various cheeses and some crackers to enjoy it with.

Alas, I think they will not.

I'm gonna need a cheese plate to my stateroom, stat. Any thoughts?

You see, there's always some kind of "wiggle room."

Now hubby insists that we will indeed enjoy the cab in the room, and has set me out to find whether or not room service would deliver a plate of various cheeses and some crackers to enjoy it with.

Alas, I think they will not.

I'm gonna need a cheese plate to my stateroom, stat. Any thoughts?

Sable, I never thought of the cheese plate... too worried about just the enjoyment of the beverage. Not sure why they wouldn't send a cheese plate, it is room service. I guess, depending on the time of the day, you could go to the salad bar to get your goodies... :D

Yeah, we're early-on in the "wine snob" process, and while we're well on our way to becoming full-blown wine-o-philes, we still like to enjoy it both on its own and with other things, cheeses especially, just to see how it "tastes" with "other stuff" as well as how the wine is on its own. We're learning. Heh.

That's why we thought maybe we'd have it with a nice dinner.

But on its own is sounding better and better all the time. Good call with the salad bar, I guess. Can't you see me putting little chunks of cheese on a plate and running it back down to the room?

Now THAT'S elegant!

Yeah, we're early-on in the "wine snob" process, and while we're well on our way to becoming full-blown wine-o-philes, we still like to enjoy it both on its own and with other things, cheeses especially, just to see how it "tastes" with "other stuff" as well as how the wine is on its own. We're learning. Heh.

That's why we thought maybe we'd have it with a nice dinner.

But on its own is sounding better and better all the time. Good call with the salad bar, I guess. Can't you see me putting little chunks of cheese on a plate and running it back down to the room?

Now THAT'S elegant!

I am a beer girl, this scene would be natural... pack smart, bring sandwich baggies and make only one trip... now that's class.... lol

I am a beer girl, this scene would be natural... pack smart, bring sandwich baggies and make only one trip... now that's class.... lol

Hey! Now that's my kinda thing! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Oh god, I'm going to embarrass my husband. Now he'll definitely want to just hide in the room.

//edited to say: and not in a good way.

Neener, neener.

I am a redneck and your comment offended me. Although I will say that when I bring wine to the supper club I make sure I bring the finest wine, but since you aren't taking a wine as nice as my Franzia I wouldn't take it.:D

I am a redneck and your comment offended me. Although I will say that when I bring wine to the supper club I make sure I bring the finest wine, but since you aren't taking a wine as nice as my Franzia I wouldn't take it.:D

I saw some Sutter Home White Zinfandel in a very cute "designer" pink box, would that work? :D

i would drink that wine n the cabin. they can charge about $15 corkage fee. they have some good wines on board. also now people don't often share wine w/tablemates. each does his own thing. they could feel obligated 2 buy wine 2 share w/u.

Not a wine person at all. However, something I've told students in the past and something I always stressed with my children. "if you don't have enough to share with everyone, don't bring it". I've read other posts in the past about folks not sharing the wine. I guess I truly don't get it.

The idea of wine and cheese in the room sounds grand.

• 8 years later...

We do this. It makes sense $$ wise and selection wise if you bring a really good bottle of wine, as the markup is more than the corkage fee. Last cruise we brought 2 bottles of Chateauneuf-du-pape which were about $40 each. They had a similar bottle in the steakhouse for $95 or so. The way I see it is we "saved" $40 a bottle by bringing our own.

Whereas if you bring a $15 bottle of wine on board you really aren't saving much or anything as the markup is probably about what you have as the corkage fee.

And Chateauneuf is delicious, certainly a special occasion wine for us.