Is this just lip service about dress codes?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

michigan
1,599 Posts
Joined May 2012
Thanks for the link. The video basically describes suggested dress. The only unacceptable dress described was swimsuits in the dining areas.

Shorts in the MDR on smart casual or formal nights?......... this was not discussed, but I have not seen enforcement on Oasis class.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fortunate To Have Sailed:
Grand Princess, Carnival Valor x 2, Carnival Breeze
Voyager x 2, Explorer x 6, Navigator, Adventure x 3
Independence x 2, Liberty
Jewel x 2, Brilliance
Oasis x 2, Allure , HARMONY - 01/28/2017 & 03/25/2017

North Carolina
1,503 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
It wasn't until this that I've noticed that the recent compasses for Oasis list Casual and Formal as being the dress codes and yet the RCI website doesn't even define Casual dress code. The only things defined are Smart Casual and Formal. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...qSubjectId=334

I know that not everyone is happy with the idea of cruise lines going to a more casual approach, but this certainly makes packing for our upcoming Oasis cruise a bit easier.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Western Caribbean:Grand Princess - Jan 5, 2008
Eastern Caribbean:Emerald Princess - Dec 30, 2008
Alaska's Inside Passage:Star Princess - May 15, 2009
Eastern Caribbean:Emerald Princess - Jan 10, 2010
Western Caribbean:Emerald Princess - May 9,2010
Western Caribbean: Crown Princess - Dec 10, 2011
Eastern Caribbean: Disney Fantasy - Dec 1, 2012
Eastern Caribbean: Disney Fantasy - May 18, 2013
Eastern Caribbean: Freedom of the Seas - April 19, 2015
Western Caribbean: Freedom of the Seas - April 10, 2015

Bahamas: Disney Dream - January 9, 2017
Central Illinois
102,053 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Woodmnky
It wasn't until this that I've noticed that the recent compasses for Oasis list Casual and Formal as being the dress codes and yet the RCI website doesn't even define Casual dress code. The only things defined are Smart Casual and Formal. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...qSubjectId=334

I know that not everyone is happy with the idea of cruise lines going to a more casual approach, but this certainly makes packing for our upcoming Oasis cruise a bit easier.
Here is one spot where they define what they mean by casual:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/before.../whatToPack.do
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
1,428 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Thanks for the replies, I thought you guys might find this interesting. I like to wear khakis and a nice shirt, formal nights the same. Formal nights are outdated, sorry.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
462 Posts
Joined May 2004
Formal nights are hardly "outdated" on several cruise lines and if you ask some of those passengers that's one of the reasons they like those ships.

I have noticed that the "definitions" are becoming much more relaxed. Witness "Evening Chic" on Celebrity which ends up meaning as dressy as you feel like getting.

Even on "those ships" I referenced above I have seen on occasion a complaint about "ballcaps" in dining rooms and I'm one of those folks who was brought up to always remove any hat I was wearing inside many places but that's obviously gone by the boards for many. I guess perhaps for funerals?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
More cruises than I can remember; not nearly as many as everyone else
Dublin, Ohio
9,253 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
It is interesting that the video and the web link (both produced by RCI) have different definitions of casual and smart casual.

In today's world, a jacket and tie is never associated with the word casual no matter what adjective you put before it. Nice slacks and an open collar shirt, yes, but tie and jacket, no way.

I wish the cruise lines would be consistent so that we know what to wear. We personally would love casual every night, but won't dress casual if it isn't allowed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ann

Anthem of the Seas - May 20, 2017
Pride of America - Feb 16, 2019 - Roll Call

PAST
Island Princess Feb 3-18, 2017 - Panama Canal Ocean to Ocean; NCL Spirit Feb 20, 2016 - Western Caribbean Photo Book Pre-Cruise; NCL Sun Dec 14, 2014 - Western Caribbean ; Norwegian Sun - Feb 13 - 24 - Southern Caribbean Photo book - 1st half Photo book - 2nd half ; Norwegian Dawn - B2B, Boston to Quebec City to Boston - Sept 27 - Oct 11, 2013 Trip Photos ; Norwegian Sky - Surprise Bahamas Trip - Oct 29 - Nov 2, 2012 Photo Book ; Norwegian Star - NYC to Bermuda May 13-20, 2012 ; Norwegian Spirit - Western Caribbean from NOLA - March 20-27, 2011 Pre-Cruise NOLA Photobook ; Norwegian Sky - Bahamas - March 29-April 2, 2010 Photo Book
Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean - March 15 - 27, 2009 ; Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas-Aug 13-17, 2007 ; Sapphire Princess - Alaska - June 24-July 1, 2006 ; Disney Wonder - Bahamas - March 2004
Ohio
274 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Khakis and a polo shirt is great! I guess I get annoyed with people that really could careless... Shorts and a t-shirt is not acceptable... Yes, it is your vacation and you paid for it but it is called respect in my opinion...They don't enforce any of the "rules" They are do afraid of the back lash and offending which is sad in my opinion. White table cloth dinner is not an appropriate place for very, very casual attire.... I'd rather see dressy jeans any day than shorts, t-shirt, and a ball cap!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival- Sensation-2002 RCCL-Explorer of the Seas-2008 Norweigan-Pearl-2011 RCCL-Liberty of the Seas-2013
RCCL-Enchantment of the Seas-2014 Carnival-Paradise-2016 RCCL- Independence of the Seas-2017
RCCL- Brilliance of the Seas-2018
221 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by 3CatsInMA
Interesting....that video seems to imply that shorts are now officially OK in the MDR.
There were TONS of shorts (and an occasional tank-top) in MDR on our Liberty cruise a few weeks ago. Other than formal night, we did not see them turn anyone away.

tho I was sent back from MDR to put a cover up for my T-shirt for Breakfast one morning, when I was wearing MORE than some had been wearing at dinner. . it just depends on who is running the MDR.
1,428 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
We did our first NCL cruise last Sept/Oct. and talk about no rules. I LOVED going to dinner, whatever the venue in jeans. Just my opinion. Back to RCCL this year so I'll be back in Khakis and nice shirt.
Springfield, Illinois, Hayward, WI, Naples, FL
791 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I am old school. I don't like shorts, t-shirts, and ball caps in the main dining room. Smart casual is a nice shirt and pants. We had guy on the Harmony who wore the same t-shirt three nights in a row.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises: Emerald Princess 28 Day R/T 10/17, Caribbean Princess 14 Day 1/18

SPENDING OUR KIDS INHERITANCE ONE CRUISE AT A TIME!
OVER 25 YEARS OF CRUISING!!
Past Cruises

Harmony of the Seas 2/17 Family Cruise, Royal Princess 10/16, Coral Princess 1/16, Royal Princess 11/15, Oasis of the Seas 1/15, Regal Princess 11/1, Crown Princess 1/14, Ruby 1/14, Freedom of Seas 3/12 Family Cruise, Emerald Princess B2B 2/12, Crown Princess 1/11, Grand Princess 14 days 1/11, Grand Princess 1/10, Coral Princess 11/08 Crown Princess 1/08, and 12/06, Caribbean Princess 4/04, New Sun Princess 7/09, M/S Carousel 4/98, Dawn Princess 1/95, Star 4/94, mts Daphne Costa 3/88, Sun Princess 1/87, and 3/86
Williamsburg, VA
3,803 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by Amtrack Springfield
I am old school. I don't like shorts, t-shirts, and ball caps in the main dining room. Smart casual is a nice shirt and pants. We had guy on the Harmony who wore the same t-shirt three nights in a row.
I'm with you. How hard is it to put on a decent pair of pants and a polo shirt? On our last cruise a guy showed up in shorts and tee shirt every night. Although credit where credit is due, at least on formal night his t shirt didn't say "Budweiser."

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
567 fantastic days at sea....and counting!

United States
12,814 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Why does t-shirt and ballcap always get associated with shorts?

This trifecta association is tiresome and, frankly, a little odd that people can't understand that some people want to be casual without dressing like a picnic in the park either. I'm not interested in wearing a tshirt or hat to dinner, but shorts yes. and not gym shorts. Polo shirt, tan or grey pocket shorts and boat shoes are pretty much my south florida standard when not at work, and acceptable in many places, some far better than any cruise ship main dining room. I've got an abundance of hair on top so no need for a hat here. Not everything is so extreme. Just because I want to ditch my work slacks doesn't mean I'm showing up straight from the beach. Consider that.

Dress how you like; that includes dressing up, or not dressing up. Enjoy yourselves. In almost 30 years of cruising I have no idea what anyone else not part of my party was wearing. Even then I probably could not tell you.
Charlotte, NC
168 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
As long as they're clean I don't care what people wear to dinner. I'm sitting down for my own meal and don't feel insulted, etc. How someone else's clothes should affect me I don't know. I don't wear shorts or a t-shirt or a ball cap to dinner, but frankly don't care if someone else does. I won't dress formally, but I might wear jeans on casual night and khakis and a button down on other nights. That's my preference. I don't understand all the ongoing commotion about other people's clothes.
23 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by LMaxwell
Why does t-shirt and ballcap always get associated with shorts?

This trifecta association is tiresome and, frankly, a little odd that people can't understand that some people want to be casual without dressing like a picnic in the park either. I'm not interested in wearing a tshirt or hat to dinner, but shorts yes. and not gym shorts. Polo shirt, tan or grey pocket shorts and boat shoes are pretty much my south florida standard when not at work, and acceptable in many places, some far better than any cruise ship main dining room. I've got an abundance of hair on top so no need for a hat here. Not everything is so extreme. Just because I want to ditch my work slacks doesn't mean I'm showing up straight from the beach. Consider that.

Dress how you like; that includes dressing up, or not dressing up. Enjoy yourselves. In almost 30 years of cruising I have no idea what anyone else not part of my party was wearing. Even then I probably could not tell you.
I'm from Florida too and nice shorts with a button up shirt or polo shirt is totally considered dressy in our state. We had people wear that to our beach wedding and it was great.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Total noob cruiser from FL
One short Norwegian, One short Carnival... and now a 7-day RCI Harmony coming up soon.
Virginia
33 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
I guess I just don't get the issue with adhering to dress codes. I'm in my mid-30s (depending on posters who think dress attire is "old school" vs. "new school"), and I don't know why dress code couldn't/shouldn't be enforced. I bring up my age only because I keep hearing that age is a reason for a "newer" way of thinking of dining.

I approach dining on how I would dress (or how I "should" dress) when I'm dining "at home." The MDR gets a bad rep, but I still think of it should be looked at as an higher-end (not necessarily fine-dining) restaurant, where the wait staff cares for your every need. Business casual should be a minimum. If you go to specialty dining or, more importantly, formal night, it should be exactly that...formal.

Each cruise line posts its expectations/requirements. Do I like dressing up? Not necessarily on a regular basis. But if that's the requirement of the establishment that I want to enter, than YES, I will adhere to the requirements. This is no different than any restaurant in your area. I just don't see why people think it should be any different when you're "on vacation." You choose the establishment when you're at home and you choose where you eat on the cruise. Each cruise line lets passengers know, well ahead of time, what their expectations are regarding dining attire, so there shouldn't be a planning/packing problem. If don't want to dress a certain way, no problem....here are the places where you can dine. However, I am constantly disappointed in RC enforcement of the dress code, and because of this, many do question on why they should adhere to a rule. Because we see individuals/families not adhering to the prescribed dress code, leads to individuals asking themselves "why should I?" That being said, I feel RC should do a better job in restricting access to those who don't follow the dress policy. Are they really losing a significant amount of $$$ from "upsetting" those who do not like the policy?

Sorry for the rant, I just don't see why pre-established rules (regardless if it's horribly enforced), causes so my trouble.