Ferry excursion through Panama Canal?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:50 AM.
Sunny Cleveland, OHio
112 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Leaving in 13 days for a partial transit of the canal on ncl pearl.

We're booked for the ferry ride through the canal.

Anyone taken this excursion?

What to bring with me?

Also, no need to tell me not to book this, want to experience the locks since I'll never be in them again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
https://www.facebook.com/ClevelandCruisin/
https://www.instagram.com/clevelandcruisin/

NCL Getaway 7 D. West. Car 4/24, 2016 (Aft # 10914)
NCL Pearl 10 D Panama 4/3, 2017 (Balcony #10660)
NCL Escape 7 D East. Car 10/28, 2017 (Aft #12910)
NCL Epic 7 D West. Car 3/17, 2018 (Aft # 12310)
NCL Getaway 7D West. Car 11/4, 2018 (11136)
NCL Dawn 11 D South Car 1/27, 2019 (Balc #10176)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it. -Ferris Bueller

Florida
5,287 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Well I won't be the one to try and dissuade you from taking this shore excursion! As far as what to take other than stuff to protect you from the sun... glasses, hat, sun screen, maybe long sleeved shirt, camera etc. In 13 days Panama will still be in the Dry Season, all though towards the end of it, I doubt that you will have an issue with the rain. So if you want to real cautious perhaps a cheap poncho?? In the past they have provided a simple lunch as well as bottled water, beer has been available for purchase.

This is a great excursion when you are only doing a partial transit. While you won't have bragging rights that you have sailed from the Atlantic to Pacific, this excursion does offer you the chance to see a large part of the Canal by transiting the two Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut on the ferry. Seeing the Canal operations from your Panamax cruise ship in the morning and then experiencing it from the smaller "ferry" gives you two complete perspectives.

Enjoy!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
BB
"If the phone doesn't ring, it's me!"
"Is it ignorance or is it apathy? ... I don't know and I don't care!"
S.S. Badger R/T from Manitowoc June 02